Roberto Cavalli guilty and sentenced..

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
i was really expecting the outcome of this lawsuit, not that Cavalliu could ever do real prison time.. still, he was found guilty and this is what counts

MILAN — A Florence court on Thursday found Roberto Cavalli guilty of tax evasion and sentenced him to 14 months in prison, but a technicality in Italian law will likely exempt him from actually serving jail time.
Tax authorities initially accused the designer in 2002, claiming Cavalli dodged fiscal responsibilities by booking about 5 billion lire, or $3.14 million at current exchange rates, of costs to restructure his luxurious Tuscan home as company expenses for the fiscal years 1996 through 2000.
Cavalli will appeal, according to a statement from his New York press office. Calling the judgment "unjustified," it said Cavalli's lack of criminal record and the fact the designer doesn't need to start serving his sentence immediately, if ever, will facilitate an appeal.
"As [much as] it is possible to read the grounds for this entirely unjustified ruling, [Cavalli's lawyers] will launch an immediate challenge," the statement said. "The defense counsels are firmly convinced that the crime assumed on the part of the public prosecutor ... [is] utterly groundless and that in the appeal procedure, Mr. Cavalli will, therefore, be acquitted in the fullest terms."
A Cavalli spokeswoman said the designer was traveling and not in the courtroom for the verdict. Italian law allows a judge's discretion in suspending a sentence of less than two years under the pretext that the convicted person won't recommit the same crime.
The firm claims that Cavalli's estate, which includes two swimming pools, a collection of animal-print rugs and centuries-old statues of the Madonna, also serves as the designer's headquarters.
"It was amply proved that the expenses at issue pertained to the running of the company since the designer's residence forms an integral part of his corporate business, in addition to serving as the company's prestigious showroom, where events, fashion shows, displays, photographic services, etc., are held and provided," the statement said...............

extracts from wwd.com

I wonder if Donatella has written off coke as company expense. I daresay that might've been more than Cavalli's home.

Thanks for the news, Lena, certainly entertaining.

A Florence court on Thursday found Roberto Cavalli guilty of tax evasion and sentenced him to 14 months in prison, but a technicality in Italian law will likely exempt him from actually serving jail time.

of course!

thanks for the article Lena

I wonder if he has to pay any money or if he's just getting away..

Faust, hahah I love that ^

He's Roberto Cavalli, the thought of him serving jail time to me is well, unthinkable.

What a strange Italian law... Thanks for the news Lena!

he shouldn't be exempt from anything, just because he's a well known designer. The law's the law. Look at Martha Stewart!

Perhaps he should be fined, but I don't think that he needs to serve hard time. What purpose, really, would it serve? Would it really make an example and prevent wealthy people from lying about money to avoid taxes? I doubt it. Would it really "reform" Cavalli from his criminal ways? OF course not, because I doubt he feels that he did anything wrong.

To be honest, I think that he probably just pissed off the wrong person, just like Martha Stewart. No doubt there are endless other people who've done the same as Cavalli (and Stewart) but didn't get caught because nobody turned them in. Who knows how many toes Cavalli (and Stewart) have stepped on in their careers in order to get where they are now?

Anyway, in a world where corrupt CEO's steal $100's of millions of dollars of their employees money and can get away with a bankruptcy deal and no prison term that allows them to keep their $15,000,000 Florida mansions... I really couldn't care less about Cavalli's 3.4 million dollar renovations. Give him a fine and move on.

John

Karma for you, John! Great opinion.

Could you imagine that man actually serving hard time? Just the thought makes me laugh!

eunhe said:
he shouldn't be exempt from anything, just because he's a well known designer. The law's the law. Look at Martha Stewart!

Certainly, although some may consider Martha's offenses to be a different thing entirely. The US punished her in the way they saw fit, and Italy has obviously tried their hardest to do the same to Cavalli. But will he stop? Really, who knows? Abuse of power or wealth is nothing new in this world. Should Cavalli get special treatment? No. Has he been given it? I think so, but there's nothing that can be done.

Like I said before When he gets out He'll have street cred and all the gangsta will be rockin cavalli......Yo!!!

:lol: :rolleyes:

I don't think law should stop its course when it comes to involve some rich and famous, especially if he happens to be gross and tacky as Cavalli is:yuk: . Could they possibly fine and bury him in some jail for offensive lack of taste?

HA HA HA HA....

I sat here and I thought before I read the whole article.. he won't serve it. TADAAA...

This is silly, I think he should pay a fine too... regarding martha steward ppl just jumped on her because she is a billionaire. Other ppl did what she did before and didnt recieve any jail time. Its blown out of proportion and the court likes to make examples of people

rach2jlc said:
Perhaps he should be fined, but I don't think that he needs to serve hard time. What purpose, really, would it serve? Would it really make an example and prevent wealthy people from lying about money to avoid taxes? I doubt it. Would it really "reform" Cavalli from his criminal ways? OF course not, because I doubt he feels that he did anything wrong.

To be honest, I think that he probably just pissed off the wrong person, just like Martha Stewart. No doubt there are endless other people who've done the same as Cavalli (and Stewart) but didn't get caught because nobody turned them in. Who knows how many toes Cavalli (and Stewart) have stepped on in their careers in order to get where they are now?

Anyway, in a world where corrupt CEO's steal $100's of millions of dollars of their employees money and can get away with a bankruptcy deal and no prison term that allows them to keep their $15,000,000 Florida mansions... I really couldn't care less about Cavalli's 3.4 million dollar renovations. Give him a fine and move on.

John
I just have to chime in.

"Would it really make an example and prevent wealthy people from lying about money to avoid taxes?"

I don't see why not. A person who is considering fraudalent accounting, if he knew he was going to jail to made a man-b*tch of would consider twice what he was going to do, much more than paying a fine ever would. You know that guy who got 30 lashes from a cane for spray painting a car? I bet you he never spray painted cars ever again.

Since the probability that catching these white-collar criminals are so low and the damage that such fraud does is so high, there is strong policy argument in stringing these people out as examples. Considering the tax rate in Italy, he debunked the government and therefore the public from at least one and a half million dollars. What car-jacker ever did that?

"in a world where corrupt CEO's steal $100's of millions of dollars of their employees money and can get away with a bankruptcy deal and no prison term that allows them to keep their $15,000,000 Florida mansions... I really couldn't care less about Cavalli's 3.4 million dollar renovations. Give him a fine and move on."

So, by your logic, anybody who steals less than 100 million dollar worth of damage should not have to serve jail time. Where should we draw the line, 10 million? In most states, the line is drawn at 500 dollars.

The criminal justice system is not perfect and to demand perfection is unfair. Those we can catch, we should punish. Just because he's famous, doesn't make him any less culpable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with Dare - in most cases the threat of a jail sentence is the only thing that puts these wealthy people off from committing fraud. after all they can afford the fine, no matter how big! Fraud is serious, tax evasion is bad, because it denies govenments the money they need to run their countries. Greedy and dishonest people should be made to pay for their actions, why should the famous be exempt? Steve Madden did his time, so should Cavalli.

Anyway how do you know 'other people did what Martha Stewart did and got away with it,' - In my experience that simply isn't the case.Everyone is and should be treated the same, you simply didn't hear about the 'other people' because they are not celebrities.

Last edited by a moderator:
eunhe said:
Agree

Thanks for the news too Lena

Lady Muck said:
Totally agree with Dare - in most cases the threat of a jail sentence is the only thing that puts these wealthy people off from committing fraud. after all they can afford the fine, no matter how big! Fraud is serious, tax evasion is bad, because it denies govenments the money they need to run their countries. Greedy and dishonest people should be made to pay for their actions, why should the famous be exempt? Steve Madden did his time, so should Cavalli.

Anyway how do you know 'other people did what Martha Stewart did and got away with it,' - In my experience that simply isn't the case.Everyone is and should be treated the same, you simply didn't hear about the 'other people' because they are not celebrities.

"Everyone is and should be treated the same."

I agree with you 100%... unfortunately in the real world things don't work that way. We are dealing with a flawed judicial system. As such, we should talk about applications or ramifications that are POSSIBLE given the system that exists. What you mention above sounds nice and lovely, but certainly isn't a reflection of any world that I've ever seen.

Do you really believe most incredibly wealthy people are scared of jail time as it stands? Maybe in some countries, but at least in the US, some of the jail cells to which these corporate criminals are sent are nicer than most mid-income housing. And, most certainly better than the standard of living of 2/3 of the rest of the world. So, given this Cavalli business, is sending him to jail going to any good? Is it going to change anything? Not really. Is he going to come out saying, "I've been reformed! Hallelujah." I doubt it.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->