Celine On The Lookout

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
Celine is one more French house looking for a new designer.
but i hope LVMH people dont waste Martin Grant for Celine,
he could be so perfect for Givenchy :wink:

opinions?

DOUBLE TROUBLE: Does Celine still have its eye on Dean and Dan Caten? Could be, since the president of the LVMH-owned brand, Jean Marc Loubier, was seated front row at the DSquared show late Wednesday night and played coy when asked about his presence. After all, it’s the last season for Michael Kors at the French luxury brand, and his successor has yet to be named. Dan Caten made light of the situation. “We’ve spoken a few times and we became friends,” he said. “We invited him to the show as our friend.” In any case, Loubier is believed to be exploring various options, as a hush-hush round of recent negotiations with Paris-based designer Martin Grant attest.
article from wwd of today

I agree, Lena! :flower: Don't waste Grant, he is the heir apparent for Givenchy. I also would like to see DSquared's take on Celine. :ninja:

Grant already has the following needed for a successful Givenchy (Lee Radziwill, et al), but something does not seem right about Dean and Dan Caten at Celine. Chloe', maybe, but Celine, I don't know. It would be a bold move and I wonder would it involve the LVMH-ing of Dsquared (which would be a successful coup for LVMH but murder to Dsquared, I think).

Hmm, I think D2 and Celine are a world apart in style, why would they hire them?

Dean and Dan are high on flashy trash and low on design know-how. How will this translate in a house where they won't be allowed to bring on the cleavage and the hot pants? Will it just turn boring and stale or will they be able to successfully update the image of Celine?

Originally posted by faust@Mar 2nd, 2004 - 5:06 pm
Hmm, I think D2 and Celine are a world apart in style, why would they hire them?
so very true :rolleyes:

D² for CELINE,?,,,,,,,??? :cry: :shock:
WOW, thats the most ridiculous thing i've heard in a long time :lol:

that just gives me a flashback on how pretty DIOR was and what it became "thanks" to GALLIANO.

D² for CELINE would be the same kinda desaster :ninja: :yuk:

i absolutely agree Leyla,
even more now that 'sexy-trashy' seems to be on serious decline :ninja:

Sorry I don't think they are right for Celine, and that's from seeing their own line. I don't think it's a good move very odd couple indeed. :wacko:

isn't this , like, only the second season d2 is even doing womenswear?...i thought they were menswear designers until very recently...maybe i'm wrong..i also didn't knokw they were canadian until they did their new show?!...they don't seem to have the experience or know-how to step into a big house like celine...they do, however, have the media-hype...which cannot be discounted...they would be great figureheads...like someone else we know...HYPE :yuk:

they're too damn trendy.
and grey, yes they have only worked on 2 women's wear seasons, well fw04 being their 3rd one.

:unsure: I don't think Dsquared are right for celine at all - but I definitely don't think martin grant should go for celine, he'd be much better at givenchy :flower:

I certainly don't think I would wanna see D2 for Celine :ninja:

Agreed. There's no better way to describe their designs than "flashy trash". And they're ridiculously priced, poorly made, over-hyped trash at that. Why some people think that by wearing an overly tight muscle T covered with vulgarities on their less-than-perfect bodies all of a sudden makes them fashion gurus, is completely beyond me. :sick:

What's truly sad is that those distinctly talent-deprived twins are perhaps the most famous Canadian fashion designers right now, and the only ones that have managed to break into the world scene. Philipe Dubuc has the skills and talent that they can only dream of, and yet he's still pretty much stuck within Montreal.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see Bernard Arnault hiring them to design for Celine. LVMH isn't about making sense or fostering genuinely good designs - it's all about hype and flash. The seemingly awkward pairing of designers and fashion houses is their most beloved trick to to generate gossip and attention - and that, sadly, is all LVMH will ever have.

Personally I like the direction Kors has taken with Celine, and if the Catens are really going to be hired as his successors, I'd truly feel sorry for him, and for all the work he's done for the house.

Imagine a Celine muscle tee with "MOTHERFXCKERS" written across the chest. What a great fashion statement! :innocent:

Martin Grant all the way.

DS for Celine... The only good they can do is to sell accessories.

Well ... DSquared is hard to digest per se ... the Catens were party-organizers a couple of years ago for Pete's sake! It seems that nowadays, in the industry, sellability tops talent ...
:(

Dsquared is sellable right now simply because the Catens got lucky with some high-profile celebrity endorsements, and managed to capture the interest of a select group of consumers who worship whatever the stars are wearing. It's all hype and fad, and we all know such things don't last. Its inevitable downfall would be just as fast as its rise. In a couple of years people will go "D what?" at the mere mention of its name.

possibily .... the lvmh people want to create the kind of hype generated by Dior with Galliano for Celine.. it's a proven success based on dior's sales figure.. but there's just too much wh*re-ly looking clothes out there...................... they need not to turn the vulenerable house of Celine by the D2 twins to what Galliano has done for Di-wh*re..............................is disrespectful to the founder and the brand... KOrs is right for Celine... i'm sure he could have done better.. ..

Kors was actually VERY good for a conservative sports house like Celine, they will miss his dearly, D-Squared are such a bad choice..

they need someone very fresh and sporty for Celine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->