Chris Benz-Gray Matter

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
excerpt from wwd...
Gray Matter

designer Chris Benz “I’m from Seattle,” he offers when you inquire , a response this 22-year-old graduate of Parsons often invokes to explain his likes and dislikes, personal quirks and design bent. “It’s gray all the time,” Benz says of his hometown.
that accounts for much of his design aesthetic: his emphasis on layers, sheerness and a muted color palette of grays and other soft hues. “It gave me an appreciation for all the different shades of what one color can be,” he says. As for the clothes themselves, a mix of frothy cotton and organza dresses and men’s wear-inspired jodhpurs and vests, there’s a touch of the influence of a great Seattle export from the early Nineties. “They’re always a little bit grunge,” Benz says, adding, “but also a little bit sweet.” To that end, his designs, which wholesale from $90 to $200, have, yes, a fairy-tale romance about them — a modern midsummer night’s dream — but with the edges frayed and tattered “to keep things from being too precious.” (It also doesn’t hurt that Benz spent two years interning for the guru of grunge, Marc Jacobs.)
“Seattle made my attitude,” he says, “but New York filled the cracks.” So, while he may have painted his downtown apartment walls a monotone gray, he accents them with his collection of gilt mirrors and frames, which he has been collecting for a decade. It’s a design dialectic of the simple and the ornate that finds its way into his clothes.
“My designs now, they’re kind of grown-up doll clothes, in a way.” Ultimately, though, it all comes back to the logic behind the gold frames now stacked neatly on one side of his slate gray walls. “I have this obsession with old things,” he says, “but then I try to organize them into this new way.” — Venessa Lau

I think the concept behind it is sort of cool. Sort of monotone or minimalism accented with this gilt or a bit of an ornate edge but when I see his clothes and the whole 'tattered chiffon' thing, I think, nothing new. I could find this in a million stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
are there more pics available?? it's hard to comment on just one.....

sorry...there was only this one pic...
it sounds interesting though...i'd like to see more myself...
wondering if he has a website yet?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->