Claude Maus

Benny Fury

Reaction score
I couldn't help noticing that there's no thread for Claude Maus. Which is a shame.. This is a great Australian label. Excellent jeans. Very excellent jeans. A nice alternative to Ksubi, which don't get me wrong. Ksubi's great, but I reckon it's overpriced, and it's a little bit like, every man and his dog wears it. I dunno.

But yeah, here's a wee blurb:

Like sophisticated Cheap Mondays, Claude Maus designer Rob Mianiscalco is compelled to incorporate the macabre into his work. Rob Mianiscalco’s gothic and medieval influences are evident throughout the collection. Claude Maus jeans are no exception accentuating tight and dark silhouettes. If you’re a skinny jeans fan these are well worth a gander.

and here's a short interview/profile:

Claude MausFashion FeatureWords by: Annie Fox

When a designer tells you his label is a cross between two of the darkest film directors (Dario Argento and Kenneth Anger), no-one could blame you for your concern. But in fashion, like in life, what you expect is rarely what you get.

Creator/designer Rob Maniscalco launched Claude Maus in 1999 and it has since evolved from customised clothing to a range that reflects more his fascination with fantasy and folklore. “Creating a theme for a collection allows you to think beyond individual garments,” explains Rob. “It also allows you to create fictitious worlds that can comprise of music styles, countries, mythology or whatever and this creates the framework for a collection.” What results is a range of clothing that may change thematically from season to season, but still maintains a very distinct signature. You recognise a Claude Maus piece for all the right reasons.

Rob confesses that he tends “to design women’s clothes that look more androgynous - I like women that look boyish.” Claude Maus stands alone in how it approaches women’s wear – minimal, perhaps even a little tomboyish – but still designed with everything female in mind. The men’s wear is equally as impressive, a happy balance of unassuming and distinctive. A harmony that many men will tell you, is absent from most labels.

For winter’06 Rob took inspiration from a recent trip to Slovenia, “I looked into Slovenian mythology and fairytales and how culturally displaced groups have kept their heritage unchanged.” The highlight of the range is by far and away, the gathered leather jacket (available for guys and girls). It’s this season’s best example of form and function.

Claude Maus winter is in Fat stores now (Melbourne & Sydney), for more information call (03) 9486 0555 or check out www.claudemaus.com

www.claudemaus.com

Photo's from Winter 07 lookbook

cm1co9.jpg

cm2fa7.jpg

cm3bh6.jpg

cm4fd7.jpg

cm5yi4.jpg

cm6dt1.jpg

cm7sw6.jpg

cm8of6.jpg

def not bad...
is it available outside of Australia?...

Yeah you can buy it at a few places outside of Aussie.

Here in New Zealand you can get it from Good As Gold in Wellington. and from Myhart in Auckland

this website, stocks a few bits and pieces: http://www.pitbullmansion.com/collections/claude-maus
Not a hell of a lot though I must admit.

Finding stockist for anywhere outside of Australia is proving difficult though. I'm positive they're stocked in London, the name of the store eludes me though. If you email through the website they'll get back to you and let you know where you need to go.

Well worth it.

Do you know if they ship to the US? I'm diggin' that long jacket in picture #4. :D

Hmmm,
good question. I emailed directly through the website to order one of the black trench coats, and they replied telling me to order it through either Good As Gold or Myhart. So I think you'll want to have a stockist nearby-ish who you can place an order through.
So I'd recommend, finding out the closest stockist, and then placing an order through the store.

thanks for bringing this in Benny!

I saw some pieces a few seasons ago, which were quite nice.

the label seems to be slowly gaining momentum.

I reckon it needed to be done!

I'm surprised it's not more popular... Like it's quite affordable given the quality of the material and design.
But I'm also kind of glad in a way I suppose too.

I am not a fan of the leather jackets, but other than that this looks rather good. It's well shaped and cut, and it looks like those are great pieces.

I just discovered this brand - its sold in "Fat" stores in Melbourne - and its a great label.

Although, this isn't really affordable - and it definitely isn't less expensive than ksubi.

The leather jacket I wanted, was $840 AUS ! The prices have gone up since the start of the year, probably because of popularity...

I was hoping it might be a little cheaper in Australia. The leather jackets are around the $1000.00 mark here. But I haven't seen a leather jacket worth wearing for less than that ever before, so it doesn't seem like a big deal.

The black trench I was going to get (they ran out of time this Winter so will have to wait till next Winter) is going to cost $1000.00 as well.. But it's such a great cut, and is really good quality. So it's seem justifiable.

But yeah, as far as the denim goes. Ksubi stuff here is around the $430.00 mark and up. Where as the Claude stuff is better quality denim and is $330.00. Which isn't exactly cheap, but isn't going to break the bank too much.

great thread benny!! :D

claude maus have just opened up their first flagship store in melb- just off little collins street. can't wait to see their A/W collection (one of the brands i am really missing while here in the U.K )

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MicheleO
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->