Comme des Garçons S/S 2015 Paris

marcBarna

Reaction score
ByjULEjCMAAFVKw.jpg
ByjU0BMCAAAeB04.jpg

Twitter/Vanessa Friedman

Amazing as always... construction of her pieces always mesmerizes me and love her study of the shades of red. Is her inspiration Little Red Riding Hood?
Love that she always does her thing!

it's like a blood bath....that permeating use of mono red. she looks like she was in a horror mood. i see a lot of argento/legend of hell house/red riding hood and wicker man influences...from the blood spatter....frills and rosettes....hoods....homespun-y basket weave and quilting....

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always loved CDG...I liked her since the very start of her career in the early 80's.....but, I truly don't like this collection.

I can appreciate the way that Rei has always been incredibly experimental...the construction of her pieces never cease to amaze me (including here, for this collection)...but although the pieces are actually wearable....they seem more like messy Halloween costumes, than clothes.

I know for a long while....Rei has kept in her mind that she's not trying to think about clothes in her creative process....but I'm getting really annoyed with the direction her collections.

To each, their own....but I don't see anything in this collection that I desire.

agree scott! it's scary…little red riding hood on acid (and suspiria blood!). :stuart:
hence, i love it, of course. ha ha.

she never ever ever disappoints me. cdg shows are the only certainty left in fashion. this is fantastic. it's very horror-meets-fairytale meets a disheveled femme fatale kind of aggressive. i love every single look. dying @ the little patent leather / latex strips that pop out here and there.

I can agree with many of your opinions in regards to this collection...people who love fashion can always rely upon Rie to present and make something...that doesn't look like everything else on the runway.

Her collections have always stood apart and away from conformity....she questions and challenges every notion of what we look upon as fashion...or merely "just clothes."

I agree that without her....there would be a massive void within the fashion industry...and I'm highly suspect that there are ANY other designers out there....who are capable enough..or talented enough (or even free-thinking enough)....to fill in Rei's shoes.

I also sew and design clothes....and I can only wish and dream to be as brilliant..or as thought-provoking as Rei can be....but, I was hoping to see a collection that wasn't so jumbled and experimental...the pieces are too busy with way too much volume.

They are ALL beautiful pieces in their own right...but to actually wear any these pieces...is simply a matter of personal taste and personal style.

there's blood, bauhaus theatre dress, red roses, redcarpet, theatre curtain ...
everything that is red... or almost everything.

even the queen of hearts; look at the hair, which is heart-shaped, and there's the one dress which seems to mimic both ventricles. is she injecting some HEART back into fashion? methinks, yes! :heart:

oh, and the shoes… i covet those triple-toned ankle boots. swoooooooooon!

I'm growing indifferent and weary about Rei's endless adhoc experiments, and they seem to be variations of the same techniques, padded grotesque, neoprene volumes, material collages, cages, etc. One season it's all Black, another all Red. The more outrageous, unwearably Lady Gaga-ish, the better. In that, I respect Yohji more, as he still cares about dressing eccentric, unique women.

I agree with most of you, I love the use of red, the splatters, horror and red riding hood reference. Everything right up my alley, I'm ready for Halloween. Her collections have never been very wearable for the average person but someone with this taste and love of fashion, everything is beautiful and well crafted.

Not Plain Jane, those boots are so cute! I adore them as well.

This is quite interesting. I can see where the influences are taken from. The whole flesh holocaust meets the 1800 century cults and Marie Antoinette.

i'd very interested to see how this looks in the showroom...piece by piece because that's typically where i'm most impressed. hopefully charlie porter will get some of those posted. i see what you guys are saying,zazie and margielamike....although i never expect anything but full-on ideas from CdG main line it would have been more interesting had she kept on a path akin to autumn 2013...it was emotional,it was thought-provoking but at the same time for me i wanted to actually wear every single piece in that.

Oh my goddess. I adore Comme and Rei when they go baroque.

I don't care if the presentations only show extreme pieces: Comme has so many labels popping up with wearability in mind like pop-up stores, I'm glad the mainline Comme is all about experimentation and pure fodder for editorials. The consumer stuff will end up in the stores.

On a purely creative level, this is a sublime and lush spectacle, pitting beauty with barbarity that thrills, inspires and makes me feel uncomfortable all at once. This is the kind of supreme vision that has been sorely missing in fashion since masters like Galliano, McQueen, Gaultier, Montana, Gigli are no longer around or doing their thing.

The Little Red Riding Hood reference is an obvious contender, but I instantly thought of one of my fav films, La Reine Margot and the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre scene in that film (Asia's in this, Scott!). The religious, pagan, fairy tale and iconic strokes that cuts through Comme's deconstructed silhouettes here with an utter disregard for commercial wearability doesn't at all feel a bit contrived. It's all Comme, and more.

If there's one thing that would push this collection into another stratosphere for me would be the inclusion of pant and skirt dsigns that matched the creativity of the tops. I'm not a fan of the strong and visionary top part-- while the legs are bare, or worse, in tights. Tights are the lazy designers' substitute. And from time to time, Reis' guilty of that laziness when it comes to lower half of the body.

"Comme has so many labels popping up with wearability in mind ... I'm glad the mainline Comme is all about experimentation "

excellent point phuel, and agree with you.

^ I agree with that as well. I was thinking that dover street market feels so commercial while maintaining a cool vibe. This collection is pure theatrics.

The blod splatter and colors also reminded me of john galliano's stellar french-revolution couture collection.

It's easy to do unwearable sculptures, you can use almost ANY medium to create grotesque, fantastical shapes, textures, colors, etc., so that sort of "art" to me isn't terribly exciting because genuine art at galleries by artists is far more interesting than what I see on CdG runways, their metaphors and references aren't so "direct", and have more layers and meaning.

This is a bit Cirque du Soleil to be honest, eg plastic fantasia Little Red Riding Hood, etc.

For conceptual fashion collections, I much prefer Hussein Chalayan's previous collections, with their more sophisticated use of lasers, robot technology, etc., integrated, so it's not a matter of adhoc "stuff" put together.

What is disappointing about CdG this season is also that her current "wearable" umbrella collections are not offering anything new either, no interesting tailoring, prints, etc. The last of Rei's I liked was the collaged garments (blankets with jackets, scarves,etc.) collection which heralded the wave of spliced and collaged fashion, Marc Jacobs, Sacai, etc. Those to me are integrated art+fashion pieces. Art put on a walking model is something else altogether (mobile sculptures?), and then I will look at these more critically as I would generally appreciate art, and they then fail terribly for me as "bad art".

Strictly my own opinion of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ktkees1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->