Critics crucify "Da Vinci Code" in Cannes

Retro

Reaction score
Critics crucify 'Da Vinci Code' in Cannes
May 16 8:42 PM US/Eastern
LogoAFPsmall.jpg

The most hotly-awaited movie of the year "The Da Vinci Code" failed to crack an audience of movie critics here at a sneak preview ahead of Wednesday's opening of the Cannes Film Festival.

Several whistles instead of applause were all that greeted the end of Ron Howard's 125-million-dollar film, and worse than that, the 2,000-strong audience even burst out laughing at the movie's key moment.
SGE.SLY51.170506004151.photo00.quicklook.default-245x143.jpg

"I didn't like it very much. I thought it was almost as bad as the book. Tom Hanks was a zombie, thank goodness for Ian McKellen. It was overplayed, there was too much music and it was much too grandiose," said Peter Brunette, critic for the US daily The Boston Globe.

The film version of Dan Brown's mega-best selling book premieres in Cannes on Wednesday before going on worldwide release on Friday. It stars Tom Hanks as symbologist Robert Langdon, called in after the curator of the Louvre is found murdered, his body splayed out covered in symbols.

Langdon and French police cryptologist Sophie Neveu, played by French actress Audrey Tautou, find themselves ensnared in a mystifying hunt to track down the murderer and solve a 2,000-year-old riddle.
The book has already sold some 50 million copies worldwide, been translated into 44 languages and spawned a spin-off tourist industry as well as whipping up a controversy. All ingredients to ensure that it will undoubtedly draw the crowds.

The greatest controversy has been stirred by the book's central theme that Jesus Christ married and had children whose descendants still survive today.

Thus book's detractors will no doubt be comforted to hear that when Hanks reveals who is supposedly the last surviving descendant of Jesus, the Cannes audience couldn't hold back their laughter.
"At the high point, there was laughter among the journalists. Not loud laughs, but a snicker and I think that says it all," said Gerson Da Cunha from The Times of India.

Other critics said the two and a half hour film was confusing to those who hadn't read the book.
"People were confused, there was no applause, just silence," said Margherita Ferrandino from the Italian television Rai 3.

"I have only read half the book, and then I got bored. It's terrible," she added.

"It was really disappointing. The dialogue was cheesy. The acting wasn't too bad, but the film is not as good as the book," added Lina Hamchaoui, from British radio IRN.

Despite being filmed against the backdrop of some of Paris' and London's most impressive and historic buildings -- Howard was even given unprecedented permission to film inside the Louvre -- the film fails to convince, becoming more of a drama-documentary with its overuse of historic flashbacks and other devices to tell the tale.

Hanks seems to get bogged down in the interminable dialogue, whereas Tautou, so brilliant in "Amelie", fails to make an impression.

British actor Sir Ian McKellan however received plaudits for his portrayal of Holy Grail expert Sir Leigh Teabing, playing his role with the right amount of wit and humour.

And Paul Bettany is suitably menacing as a self-flagellating albino monk on a mission to kill.

The film was due to open the 59th Cannes Film Festival later Wednesday, before the real competition gets underway on Thursday, with 20 films competing this year for the coveted Palme d'Or.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/05/16/060517004155.mxm43ky2.html

Edit: For some reason I can't edit/correct my typo in the title.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks, I was looking foward to watching it. Ofcourse, it became a big budget and its bound to succeed at lacking real-depth as to the book.

Good I'm tired of this totally average book getting hype. Some lady on the TV the other day say its gonna be a movie to remember for forever and that the premiere is a huge event of our time. right.....*rolls eyes*

Movies are almost NEVER as good as the books. Even when the book is fantastic. When the book is a poorly researched, poorly written, overrated and over hyped snooze-fest, what can you expect from the movie? And I'm not one of those religious people driving themselves into rabid frenzy over it - just an avid reader and history buff who thinks Dan Brown's success with this goes to show that it's not how well you can write, but how well you can promote the hell out of your story that determines success in the publishing world.

I'll probably see it when it's free at the library - I can't stand Tom Hanks, and Ron Howard's movies invariably put me to sleep, but I'm addicted to Ian McKellen. And Alfred Molina isn't bad either :wink:

I thought the book was good but I hate how people are trying to act like it's a Bible.

I don't like Tom Hanks nor even Ron Howard films either but I suppose the fact that it's based on a book with such interesting subject matter it is attractive. I love Audrey Tatou-really sad that she didn't make an impression. But perhaps that's to do with the writing? Usually Audrey has much stronger performances in her films.

Anastasia said:
Movies are almost NEVER as good as the books. Even when the book is fantastic. When the book is a poorly researched, poorly written, overrated and over hyped snooze-fest, what can you expect from the movie?

Too right, Anastasia :wink:

What the book has going for it is it's a real page-turner. Kind of like eating junk food ... you get to the bottom of the bag of chips and think--what the hell was that I just snarfed?!?! :doh: It also draws attention to some pretty interesting theories.

I know of a couple excellent TV adaptations of books, and only one movie was as good as (and I think even surpassed) the book, Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility, IMO one of Jane's weaker novels.

I liked the book, it was a very interesting story. But it's totally hyped, of course.
I'm going to see the movie no matter how bad the critics are though.

Thing is, the only parts of the book that keep you interested are the scenes where they're all sitting down and actually talking about stuff. It'll be interesting to see how that's translated to the big screen without being boring.

I think the Da Vinci film will be another example of 'don't believe the hype'. Although I'd rather judge it for myself than take a critics' word for it.

That Dan Brown must be raking in the money

Aww I really liked the book, i mean I didn't take it to seriously but I really enjoyed it...oh well guess the most anticipated movie of the summer might turn into a big ole flop, though I'm sure it won't co as bad as Posideon or MI3 anyways.... and I'll go see it for Audrey! :crush:

fashionista-ta said:
Too right, Anastasia :wink:

Did you see what they did to The Shipping News? It's been years since I saw it, Cate Blanchett is one of my favorite actresses, and I still feel personally affronted by its mangling. Cold Mountain was another one that made me want to scream. And Angela's Ashes, which I just saw, finally :angry:

What the book has going for it is it's a real page-turner. Kind of like eating junk food ... you get to the bottom of the bag of chips and think--what the hell was that I just snarfed?!?! :doh: It also draws attention to some pretty interesting theories.

That's pretty much my boyfriend's feeling on it - I can relate, I used to get the same feeling from old Dean Koontz novels. Pure garbage on most every level, but I got a terribly guilty pleasure from them and couldn't put them down (and I keep trying his newer ones, even though it's obvious he now lacks both an editor and any shred of talent he may have once had). I just couldn't like Da Vinci. I think it was the "fact" page at the beginning that clouded my judgement. It would be like Koontz having a "fact" page before the story begins that states that there's a secret zombie army roaming the earth, sacrificing little green alien babies or something, and then having to deal with all the people who read it and run around spouting off their new found knowledge, "educating" me on when and where this zombie army was founded and how it operates :D But yeah, I understand in general the joy that can be gotten from poorly written, quick reading fiction.

I know of a couple excellent TV adaptations of books, and only one movie was as good as (and I think even surpassed) the book, Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility, IMO one of Jane's weaker novels.

I agree! That was a very well done movie. I also prefer The Princess Bride to the book (I like Golding's other work, but felt that was pretentious and self-absorbed) and that the film of About A Boy was better than Hornby's novel - it had a warmth and wit that the book lacked, especially in the end. Shmaltzy, but I needed it. The Unbearable Lightness of Being is another, sort of - I love both the book and the novel about equally, but for different reasons and in different ways. And Like Water For Chocolate has a certain charm on the screen...but generally books make for crappy movies, there's just no way they can translate properly.

Da Vinci has a 00% at Rotten Tomatoes so far...after the excruciating boredom Hanks and Howard have inflicted on me in the past, I must say, I'm enjoying this :P

Ian Mckellen: "Bible Should Have "Fiction" Disclaimer

'Da Vinci Code' Actor: Bible Should Have 'Fiction' Disclaimer

Posted by Mark Finkelstein on May 17, 2006 - 08:44.
2006-05-17-NBCTSMcKellen.jpg
If "The Da Vinci Code" was already feeding the flames of controversy with its challenge to the basic tenets of Christianity, actor Ian McKellen managed to pour a refinery tank's worth of gasoline on the fire on this morning's 'Today' show, asserting that the Bible should carry a disclaimer saying that it is "fiction." Video: Windows Media or Real Player, Plus audio MP3
Matt Lauer, in his second day "On The Road With The Code," was in Cannes for the film festival, where the Code will have its debut. It has already been screened to some critics, who have given it decidedly mixed reviews.
As I reported here, NBC reporter Melissa Stark yesterday dipped a timid toe in the sea of controversy when she interviewed Code director Ron Howard, asking how he reacted to the controversy the movie has created . . . for the Church! Sounding more like a sensitivity trainer than a Hollywood director, Howard offered up some ambiguous prose about it being healthy thing for people to engage their beliefs.
Lauer took the bull of controversy more directly by the horns when he interviewed the cast and director Howard today. Said Lauer:
"There have been calls from some religious groups, they wanted a disclaimer at the beginning of this movie saying it is fiction because one of the themes in the book really knocks Christianity right on its ear, if Christ survived the crucifixion, he did not die for our sins and therefore was not resurrected. What I'm saying is, people wanted this to say 'fiction, fiction, fiction'. How would you all have felt if there was a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie? Would it have been okay with you?"
There was a pause, and then famed British actor Ian McKellen [Gandalf of Lord of the Rings], piped up:
"Well, I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying this is fiction. I mean, walking on water, it takes an act of faith. And I have faith in this movie. Not that it's true, not that it's factual, but that it's a jolly good story. And I think audiences are clever enough and bright enough to separate out fact and fiction, and discuss the thing after they've seen it."
With the camera focused on McKellen, one could hear a distinctly nervous laugh in the background, seeming to come from either actor Tom Hanks or director Howard. McKellen's stunning bit of blasphemy is likely to test the adage that all publicity is good publicity.

Anastasia said:
Did you see what they did to The Shipping News? It's been years since I saw it, Cate Blanchett is one of my favorite actresses, and I still feel personally affronted by its mangling. Cold Mountain was another one that made me want to scream. And Angela's Ashes, which I just saw, finally :angry:

That's pretty much my boyfriend's feeling on it - I can relate, I used to get the same feeling from old Dean Koontz novels. Pure garbage on most every level, but I got a terribly guilty pleasure from them and couldn't put them down (and I keep trying his newer ones, even though it's obvious he now lacks both an editor and any shred of talent he may have once had). I just couldn't like Da Vinci. I think it was the "fact" page at the beginning that clouded my judgement. It would be like Koontz having a "fact" page before the story begins that states that there's a secret zombie army roaming the earth, sacrificing little green alien babies or something, and then having to deal with all the people who read it and run around spouting off their new found knowledge, "educating" me on when and where this zombie army was founded and how it operates :D But yeah, I understand in general the joy that can be gotten from poorly written, quick reading fiction.

I agree! That was a very well done movie. I also prefer The Princess Bride to the book (I like Golding's other work, but felt that was pretentious and self-absorbed) and that the film of About A Boy was better than Hornby's novel - it had a warmth and wit that the book lacked, especially in the end. Shmaltzy, but I needed it. The Unbearable Lightness of Being is another, sort of - I love both the book and the novel about equally, but for different reasons and in different ways. And Like Water For Chocolate has a certain charm on the screen...but generally books make for crappy movies, there's just no way they can translate properly.

Da Vinci has a 00% at Rotten Tomatoes so far...after the excruciating boredom Hanks and Howard have inflicted on me in the past, I must say, I'm enjoying this :P

I did see the Shipping News, but haven't read the book--same thing with Princess Bride! which drove me nuts with its logical flaws. I love Like Water for Chocolate the book, but have never seen the movie. That seems like it would be particularly difficult to translate to the screen ... I need to see that one. I tried another novel of hers & it was just too weird, but that one is a masterpiece.

Yeah big shock. A critically mawled pop-lit book gets turned into a critically mawled pop-fic film

fashionista-ta said:
I did see the Shipping News, but haven't read the book--same thing with Princess Bride! which drove me nuts with its logical flaws. I love Like Water for Chocolate the book, but have never seen the movie. That seems like it would be particularly difficult to translate to the screen ... I need to see that one. I tried another novel of hers & it was just too weird, but that one is a masterpiece.

The Shipping News is an absolutely fantastic book, but emotionally draining on levels I didn't expect. I have a 16 year old brother who is very dear to me, who has high-functioning autism/asperger's, and it was apparent from the beginning of the novel that Quoyle has the same condition, only he's never been identified as such by anyone and is just thrown out into the world to fend for himself and abused consistently by almost everyone he encounters. It was so heartbreaking and devastatingly accurate - Annie Proulx must be close to similar people in her life - my mother couldn't even get past the first chapter. It was too emotional for her, imagining what life would be like for my brother if he didn't have us to help him. I highly recommend it, but it's very different in many ways from the book. They changed things that fundamentally affected the characters when there was no good reason to.

It's been awhile since I've seen Like Water, and when I did it was on video - I've heard the DVD is a nightmare, that they've chopped and edited and no one can figure out why. I do think the book is superior, but always enjoyed the film on its own. I thought they stayed true to the spirit.

Odette - I think (most) people had such high expectations not because of the source material, but because of the creative team behind the movie. Howard, Hanks, Tautou, McKellen, Molina, Reno, Bettany - it looks like you can't miss. I am glad to see that the chief complaint in the negative reviews seems to be that it's an overblown, self-important, loosely plotted, new benchmark for boredom, and not that it's blasphemous or anti-christian. Though I do wish that your ticket would come with a little blurb about the Priory of Sion and Plantard on the back - not for the religious reasons, but the secular historical inaccuacy that makes me want to pull out my hair and start buying everyone history textbooks :D

McKellen's interviews crack me up. I love the guy. He's a superb actor, seems like a great man to be friends with, but is so insulated from what "real" people think and do - last time I saw him speaking it was about the cost of gasoline, and if people are having trouble buying enough petrol for their trips to work, why don't they just buy a hybrid car and move to a house closer to their employment. I'll take the hybrid car and more expensive place if you're paying, Sir Ian :P I agree with him on some points here, but he's being too generous about most people being able to tell the difference between fact and fiction. Most people seeing this movie/reading this book are going to view what they say about Jesus in general as fiction, and probably a lot of the more out there elements of the RCC, but to bring up the Priory of Sion again, you wouldn't believe the number of otherwise intelligent, thoughtful, careful people who have enthusiastically bought Plantard's (and Brown's) hoax hook, line, and sinker without bothering to read what actual historians have to say on the matter.

Ebert liked it! I may have to see it on DVD afterall. I agree with Ebert about 95% of the time - he sees things in movies and enjoys them in ways that line up with my opinions quite well. He appreciates movies for what they're trying to be, and compares them to others of the same genre - he's not a snob who won't enjoy an action/superhero/horror/chick flick just because that's what they are. Of course, the other 5% of the time I feel like he must be smoking some seriously mind-altering drug, and he did give Gigli 3 1/2 stars, so who knows ^_^

Dan Brown's novel is utterly preposterous; Ron Howard's movie is preposterously entertaining. Both contain accusations against the Catholic Church and its order of Opus Dei that would be scandalous if anyone of sound mind could possibly entertain them. I know there are people who believe Brown's fantasies about the Holy Grail, the descendants of Jesus, the Knights Templar, Opus Dei and the true story of Mary Magdalene. This has the advantage of distracting them from the theory that the Pentagon was not hit by an airplane.

:lol:

Full review here: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060517/REVIEWS/60419009/1001 - he even works in a dig at Scientology, go Ebert :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->