Deborah Turbeville - Photographer

Estella*

a dim capacity for wings
Reaction score
i discovered her for myself a few months ago and think she is one of the most fantastic photogrophers out there.
her non-fashion-photography is even more awesome but i´m postin some fashion stuff.
does anyone else know/like her?
opinions?
from www.life.com
dresses viktor&rolf
im3096.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very lovely, it has such an antique and delicate feel to it. I also remember reading that she deliberately tore at the work to give it that effect...

She's incredible. I've always loved her work. It looks so vintage but a lot of her work is from the 80's and 90's. And she's still working today!

yes, antique and unreal...here is a nice quote: "i have an instinct for finding the odd location, the dismissed face, the eerie athmosphere, the oppressive mood...my muses are kafka, dostoyevsky, andree tarkovsky, the list is endless...i like my pictures best when there is a sense of tension, an unfinished narrative,...ambiguity... in these times aesthetic taste is dismissed as irrelevant. well, i am perverse, for that very reason i´m more drawn to it than ever. i have been described as having style, of being a mannered photographer...it´s some people´s quarrel with my work and others´ fascination."

i just bought one of her books called studio st. petersburg. black and white dancers between ruins...prints looking as if they had been buried in these ruins for a century!

anna karina said:
i just bought one of her books called studio st. petersburg. black and white dancers between ruins...prints looking as if they had been buried in these ruins for a century!

That sounds incredible. Who is it published by?

anna karina said:
yes, antique and unreal...here is a nice quote: "i have an instinct for finding the odd location, the dismissed face, the eerie athmosphere, the oppressive mood...my muses are kafka, dostoyevsky, andree tarkovsky, the list is endless...i like my pictures best when there is a sense of tension, an unfinished narrative,...ambiguity... in these times aesthetic taste is dismissed as irrelevant. well, i am perverse, for that very reason i´m more drawn to it than ever. i have been described as having style, of being a mannered photographer...it´s some people´s quarrel with my work and others´ fascination."

Gorgeous GORGEOUS pictures. I also love the way she thinks. Devine. Good way to start the new year ^_^

Beautiful choices Anna....love Deborah Turbeville, but kinda along the same look (for their old-fashioned, antique quality) I prefer Paolo Roversi.

The book you bought sounds very, very interesting!

stilista said:
Beautiful choices Anna....love Deborah Turbeville, but kinda along the same look (for their old-fashioned, antique quality) I prefer Paolo Roversi.
Same, he is the king. :heart:

I love the photos. They remind me of the postcards and photo albums at this old antique shop I used to go to in Budapest, a sort of silent but unforgotten beauty about the people, the place... it's very lovely.

what a great response!:heart:
metal-on-metal, i bought the book at german amazon, it was a used copy but in very good condition and not expensive...i can tell you if it pops up again?

paolo roversi is also one of my all-time-favourite photographers but do you know if he also has published non-fashion work?

and is/was there a roversi thread?

anna karina said:
what a great response!:heart:
metal-on-metal, i bought the book at german amazon, it was a used copy but in very good condition and not expensive...i can tell you if it pops up again?

Thank you but I'm probably just going to scoop it up on eBay. :flower:

paolo roversi is also one of my all-time-favourite photographers but do you know if he also has published non-fashion work?

That I am not sure of. Softgrey? :unsure:

and is/was there a roversi thread?

Here you go: http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339&highlight=roversi

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sfan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->