Details March 2007: David Beckham by Tom Munro

peacelover142002

go red sox
Reaction score
beck-details.jpg

popsugar.com

The cover pic is old, and there is no ed inside - just old, random pics of him like the ones above.

more on this from wwd...

If the March cover of Details with David Beckham looks familiar, it's because it is. A similar shot of Beckham appeared on the magazine's August 2005 cover — both issues show Beckham wearing the same button-down, open-necked Prada white shirt, shot by Tom Munro in 2005. The decision to go to the archives and pull an old photo wasn't the first choice for editor in chief Dan Peres, but that's what happens when a hotter story comes along one week before you are due to go to press. The original cover was pulled because of Beckham's announcement that he would move to America and earn Oprah-caliber money to play soccer for the Los Angeles Galaxy. "Honestly, I reacted to an extraordinary cultural happening," Peres said. "I made what I believed to be the correct editorial decision." Peres tried to get a last-minute photo shoot with Beckham, but he only had two days and the soccer star was already back in Madrid.

Peres tapped Michael Hirschorn, former editor in chief of Spin and current executive vice president of original programming and production at VH1, to write a cultural analysis on Beckham, called "Will America Buy David Beckham." Hirschorn's story includes no quotes from the soccer icon, but that was intentional. "He's not the most dynamic guy in an interview," Peres said. "He doesn't give great quotes." Incidentally, the planned cover for March has been killed permanently. Peres declined to comment further.

^^WOW that sounds dramatic and i understand why sh ewanted to do that but come one the same photoshoot?Seems a little desperate......

details, decisions, details

Ah, the things I could tell you about why these decisions really get made....

coverage

ah, let's see, a quick off the top o' the head list:

six-plus months of negotiations with AMAJORSTAR's "people" fall out at the last moment....
a six-figure photog's (and that meant second-tier in this bunch) session results were disastrous....
more than one magazine editor who kept confusing a US magazine's three-month lead time with a daily newspaper's overnight turnaround....
the delivery of remarkable chrome-wheeled/rent-free/otherwise astonishing "perqs" or "gifts"....
or, most remarkable of all, the deliberate destruction of a notable brand in an apparent career suicide that served the purpose of getting bumped upstairs to run an even more prominent publication....

I can only guess what really happened here, but it's probably at least as good as any of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velaryon
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->