Dog Shoes

Meg

inspired contemplation
Reaction score
hello all,
as some of you may know (or none of you, hehe) I have a gorgeous little toy poodle and i'm in search of some cute yet functional shoes for her little feet either online or in London. I've looked online but all i've seen are kind of ugly bulky shoes. Regardless of whether or not you think it's right to clothe a dog if you could provide me with information I would be greatly appreciative. . Thanks in advance! :flower:

Ps.
I will try and upload a photo of her when I get this all figured out. Thanks!

Parkavenuepaws.com has some cute fur booties and adorable sweaters.

don't put shoes on a dog....unless they are in a mushing race.

they can wear a cute little sweater and a fancy collar....but going beyond that is crossing a weird line, i think.

the only thing a classy little poodle needs is a proper continental clip and simple hair binders.

and maybe a nice bag to carry it in around town.

nornor

Originally posted by mehg@Feb 3rd, 2004 - 5:17 pm
hello all,
as some of you may know (or none of you, hehe) I have a gorgeous little toy poodle and i'm in search of some cute yet functional shoes for her little feet either online or in London. I've looked online but all i've seen are kind of ugly bulky shoes. Regardless of whether or not you think it's right to clothe a dog if you could provide me with information I would be greatly appreciative. . Thanks in advance! :flower:

Ps.
I will try and upload a photo of her when I get this all figured out. Thanks!
functional shoes?? hehehe ......;; i just had to laugh for a while :lol:

thats soo funny... and please DO post pics once u find them :woot:

I don't think it's weird at all. I think it's cute. Plus, on the functional note, the weather where she lives can be -50 and she's rather small so it's hard for her to go outside without freezing her paws. If I find pics of shoes leyla I will definately upload them. I wish I could upload a pic of her but I tried linking it and it didn't work. :(

Well, I have seen slipper/bootie things for sled-dogs but I don't know that they would make them small enough for a miniature Poodle.

The ones I have seen are from Cabela's sporting goods--I have an uncle who races sled dogs. Anyway, they look kind of like a human's house slippers, with grippy rubber bottoms and fleece-type tops. I remember Cabelas donated a bunch of these to the sniffer dogs on the search crews who went into the Federal building in Oklahoma City after that building was bombed.

You might check with your vet and see if he or she has any ideas about protection for small dogs in cold weather, though my instinct would be to only take your dog outside long enough for her to relieve herself and to keep her moving except for when she stops to pee or poop, then whisk her back inside before she gets too cold. If she starts shivering or getting whiney, take her back in, even if she hasn't taken care of her exceratory business yet.

Poodles are a lot tougher than you might think, though. They've got all of that dense woolly fur for a reason. My mom's little dog, who is half Poodle and half Pekenese (and insanely cute!) adores cold weather and gets all prancey and hyper when it is snowy out. She'll blast through ankle-height snow cover litle a tiny snowplow, snow flying on either side of her, ears flapping behind her.

I'd be a little hesitant about putting shoes on your dog, though. I know Paris and Nicole put some kind of shoes on their little Chihuahua on "The Simple Life," and it sure seemed to make the dog walk bow-legged. She might have more problems on the ice with the shoes than without.

Actually my dog is litterbox trained so she doesn't have to go outside to relieve herself but she does need to go out for a touch of fresh air. I found the ones I was looking for! They are called lily boots and they are the ones that Paris Hilton has for tinkerbell.
4158LL.jpg

I personally find them adorable and am considering ordering them but it would totally depend on a return policy because like you said, if my dog can't walk in them, or if they make her uncomfortable, then there is no point having them and they will only hinder her. Thanks for all your help!

mehg that is amazing! I've never heard of a litterbox-trained dog. Yes, pics please. I like dogs!

Those boots are absoluetly adorable!!! Tinkerbell looked uber cute wearing them on the Simple Life!!

sorry, don't know why the pic isn't working anymore and why it's linking to the main page. They are slightly pricey but if they fit her well and she gets wear out of them then it's worth it. You'd be surprised how expensive little dog sweater's can be especially when you start getting into cashmere and stuff. I've seen stuff for over 400. And the special dog carriers are around the 300 mark. Who knew there was this whole upscale dog market. I love it! :lol:

i am all for the litterbox idea.

i know a lot of people who train very small dogs to use them....if it's -50 degrees farenheit, it really isn't that silly. and a toy poodle should weigh less than 10 pds. so the poo is also tiny. litterbox trained toy dog vs. $400 shoes for a toy house dog.....which is more practical.....and better for the dog?

Complete sidenote...the search and rescue dogs that work in bombed buildings and worked at the world trade center don't wear boots because it is too dangerous. they cannot feel the ground they are walking on and cannot use their toes to balance themselves effectively.

nornor

thank you luna! I couldn't remember fifi and romeo! they make adorable cashmere sweaters and other clothing! I was trying to remember what they were call the other night but totally couldn't! thanks! :flower:

No prob. glad to help.. I was looking on there the other day, but my dog is so oddly shaped, I woudln't knwo what size to order... silly pomeranian.

ooh, thanks for the link tea! I am definately looking around there right now for a bag to haul my little sweetie in! Oh how I wish I could post a picture!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->