Duro Olowu

helena

Swim Upstream
Reaction score
I DURO
spacer.gif
CURRENT reigning New Designer of the Year, Duro Olowu will be showing off his autumn/winter 2006-7 collection in Paris after a whirlwind 12 months that has seen him woo the fashion world and take the esteemed title at the British Fashion Awards in November. Trained as a lawyer, the British designer, whose father is Nigerian and mother Jamaican, launched his label only 12 months before taking to the stage to collect his award from Laura Bailey. And already he has the reputation for being the type of man who makes you want to wear his designs before you've even seen them. "I think fashion should be joyful – it shouldn't dictate to women but it should invite them into the fantasy of the designer who is making them," he says. Then you see the clothes, and it really is love. First discovered by Vogue's Sally Singer and Julie Gilhart, of Barneys, Olowu is known for stunning fluid dresses, made from vintage fabrics that he finds all over the world as well as new prints that he's been designing himself, and incredibly desirable one-off, vintage-inspired accessories. "I like to make clothes for women to feel good about themselves," he goes on. "And that they don't feel they'll see everywhere." With a less-is-more philosophy and an admiration for Alber Elbaz ("because it's evident from his designs that he likes women"), Olowu, who formerly designed clothes for the boutique on Ledbury Road that he owned with his ex-wife, hopes one day to show on the catwalk - but for now is determinedly staying true to his design philosophy. "Good tailoring is very important to me," he says. "It is the basis of even the most fluid dress." Call the London boutique on 020 8960 7570 for appointments. (February 8 2006, AM)
spacer.gif

^^^ maybe there is hope for me yet....:lol:

Any pics anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gz38jd
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->