Emily In Paris (Netflix Series)

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Surely I cannot be the only one on these forums who enjoyed this show? It’s a very easy watch, loved seeing all the beauty of Paris and enjoyed the styling from Patricia Field. Also thought Sylvie was brilliant!

Netflix just announced it has been renewed for a second season:

Very cringey and Disney channel-ish, the whole thing had tons more potential to be an interesting adult show but it ends up being totally banal, if it wasn't because it was fun to hate-watch with my best friend I would have lasted half an episode. I don't think I'll risk watching season 2 unless she starts dating the hot blonde...

I did feel identified with her b*tchy boss.

The show would redeem itself if on season 2, it manages to create some sort of cinematic universe with Devil Wears Prada where its Emily is found crossing paths with the former’s Emily. Their names got mixed up in some list of party attendees which results in both getting to know each other throughout the night. Devil Wears Prada’s Emily reveals that she’s no longer working at fashion magazines as print is a dying medium but as it turns out, her years of loyalty to Miranda did pay off in the end because she managed to get a job at LVMH through Nigel’s connection. She then becomes Emily’s new client.

This French Fashion Editor Has Some Thoughts on Emily in Paris

When the Cut reached out to Roitfeld, she said that no one from the show has ever contacted her. But that doesn’t necessarily mean she wasn’t on costume designer Patricia Field’s mood board — or that Roitfeld can’t take the idea and run with it. Below, we spoke about what the show got right and what was maybe a stretch.

Are you calling from Paris right now?
Yes, I am.

So did you have any involvement with the show? Did producers contact you?
No, they didn’t. I’ve known Lily [Collins] for a long time. But so far, no. I saw a lot of Instagrams about Emily in Paris. It was everywhere. For us, it’s a fun cliché of Paris. So I watched it.

When did you first start watching it?
Maybe two months ago? I have no sense of time now. The thing about it is that it’s a very, very addictive show. I started watching because everyone was talking about it, and then I finished it in the same day. All of a sudden, I was at the end. I’m very happy there’s going to be a second season.

What was your first impression of the show?
It’s fun to see the way Americans see Paris — maybe in a nicer way than it really is. They love it. Some clichés. But I’m also happy that another country loves my city. I’m born and raised here, so I love Paris. Of course, there’s some reality to it. We’re not so nice when people meet us for the first time. [Laughs.] So, I got it.

I wanted to ask you about some of those clichés. Do French people not talk about work at parties?
Usually, no. In Paris, we separate private time and business time. It’s important to close your computer and put away your iPhone. It’s very different from in New York.

And what about French people saying that everything is pas possible?
This is also totally true. The first thing that French people say is pas possible. It’s always something negative. It’s just a way of talking. Like, if you ask them if they want to meet for a coffee, they’ll say they don’t like coffee, or maybe they want tea. But it’s just for two minutes, and then after that, we’re very nice and easy. Unfortunately, this is true.

Is it true that French people don’t show up to the office until 10:30 a.m.?
No. No, no, no. Usually, the time is 9:30 a.m. You have to be at your desk, have had your coffee, and your computer has to be open, ready to work at 9:30 a.m. Some people want to be there before, and we work late in Paris. People go from the office to dinner, and dinner is not at 7 p.m. — it’s at 9 p.m. It’s a long day. We start at 9:30 a.m. and finish around 8 or 8:30 p.m. We’re not lazy.

Was there anything that you felt was an inaccurate stereotype of French people?
I think that if all the people at bars were looking this way, I would have coffee and dinner outside each time. [Laughs.] The show makes French people look very beautiful. It was a big compliment for French beauty, no?

So you’re saying French people don’t always look so put-together?
No, we’re not. Some are! But what Emily sees is a dream. People come to Paris to find some lovers, and she did meet a lot of lovers, no? This is Paris’s reputation: capitale de l’amour. It’s true!

Do the French have a different relationship with social media?
I can only speak for myself, but a lot of my friends are as quick as Emily. In France, we learn quickly, and we’re very good on Instagram. Our Instagram is less personal, though. We don’t show our life and our feelings in the same way that Americans do. We don’t put everything out there.

Of course, I’d love to talk about the style on the show. What did you think about Emily’s outfits?
I read that it was Patricia Fields who did the costumes, and I think she understood what she needed to say. She made errors on purpose, because Emily is a young girl trying to keep up with the best. They did it in a nice way, though, so even if you think, Oh, this is an error, we never reproach her, we just have a smile on our faces. Sometimes she’s a bit too much, a bit too colorful. In France, Parisians are classique. We’re very color-blocked, very black. Very beige. We don’t like to take any risks. Emily makes a lot of errors, but it’s inspiring in a way because she’s not perfect.

My real question, though, is how can she have so many looks in the little room she rents?? I just saw one clothing rack, and I thought, Uh oh. I would have loved when I was that age to have had that much money to spend on clothes. She’s a young girl with a huge dream closet.

So you don’t think that Emily is ringarde, or basic?
I think Emily tried to impress people at work, and she maybe tried a little too hard. But she’s such a beautiful girl, and she’s so smiley, that we forgive her for everything. Everyone in Paris loves Emily.

And what about her boss, Sylvie? When you were watching, did you notice that she wore looks similar to your own?
My team in Paris has a very good memory and compared her looks with my looks. It’s cool that we have certain looks in common. [They’re not very recent] for me, the looks she was wearing. But it’s always a compliment — maybe it’s not reality, maybe it’s just in my dreams — when someone tries to take your style a bit. But we don’t have the same hair, and I don’t think I move like her. And I think that I’m much nicer than her. [Laughs.]

Does Sylvie dress like a typical, chic French boss?
When she wore the white shirt with the black skirt, I thought it was very sexy and simple. I like when she wore the black dress with the watch. It was very French. But sometimes she makes very big errors. When she went to the Pierre Cadeau office, she mixed a blue top with a purple belt with three earrings and a baguette bag. This for me was … Oof. You know, I forgive Emily for everything. She’s a young girl, okay. But Sylvie is not, so I don’t forgive her for anything.

Sylvie dresses pretty formally for the office. Is that normal?
Yes, I think she’s quite chic. She’s always wearing high heels and a skirt. She’s not in a T-shirt. She makes an effort. Even though she makes some errors, she’s always doing French chic, like when she put the trench coat over the evening dress. She’s also very French in the way she talks to people. She has a strong sense of humor and she can be very picky and very edgy with the conversation, and I like that too. French women, we’re not shy. When she went to the hotel to find the actress, I thought she was very smart. I like her.

Do you have any predictions or hopes for season two?
I hope that Emily continues to work with Sylvie, because now we know her and the team. And now I quite like Sylvie, because I understand who she is. But I also hope that Emily’s fashion taste improves. I imagine her coming to the office looking stunning like Andy in The Devil Wears Prada. Remember when she comes in wearing those crazy Chanel boots, and all the assistants are shocked and furious, because suddenly she looks better than them? I want that for Emily.

This show is juvenile fluff and so stupid, but it doesn't take itself seriously and it's distractingly pretty to look at, so.... bring on season 2!

I’ve binged the entirety of Season 2 already.

I do agree this is fun to watch, but the real Emily Charlton needs her own movie with Emily Blunt starring in it!

I do agree this is fun to watch, but the real Emily Charlton needs her own movie with Emily Blunt starring in it!

Someone should greenlight a DWP spin-off film or series focused on Emily, it’d be a guaranteed hit.

Just finished season two this weekend and enjoyed it just as much as the first! Thought it was brilliant, it's pure entertainment and I just love seeing the sights of Paris more than anything - and Philippine Leroy-Beaulieu as Sylvie who just steals the whole show for me.

Very much looking forward to season three and four, which have both already been confirmed by Netflix.

Reactions: KoV
Very much looking forward to season three and four, which have both already been confirmed by Netflix.

I think Netflix should not only do seasons 3 and 4, they should split them in half and extend them - each season becomes 12 episodes and releases in 6 episode drops, twice a year. They could even film it all in one go. I have to imagine the show is incredibly easy to make, relatively cheap to produce (especially compared to their other shows with similar streaming numbers) and incredibly popular - why not makes more of it more often?

I think Netflix should not only do seasons 3 and 4, they should split them in half and extend them - each season becomes 12 episodes and releases in 6 episode drops, twice a year. They could even film it all in one go. I have to imagine the show is incredibly easy to make, relatively cheap to produce (especially compared to their other shows with similar streaming numbers) and incredibly popular - why not makes more of it more often?

Agreed..it's not like they're making a show with Game Of Thrones-level production

Reactions: KoV
When Emily in Paris came out I was working for an agency but more on email marketing. It somehow pushed me to transition to a different side of the agency world similar to the show LOL Been working with them now for about 6 months.

Anyway, totes agree that they should split them just to keep the cadence and thrill. And I LOVE MINDY'S ENERGY.

I’m really enjoying Emily in Paris - it’s easy entertainment. The only annoyance is the social media aspect ~ it’s so cringe to me.
Sylvie’s fashion is amazing but Emily’s is so juvenile … I never thought I’d ever think that a Chanel jacket looked so cheap. :blink:

I haven’t watched it yet, but I got recommended to watch it multiple times by different people. I just don’t have that much time lately and need to make a space in my schedule for a quiet movie evening.

A glimpse at season three:

I remember enjoying it, but I remember very little of what actually happened in Season 2. All I remember is that I find Lucas Bravo incredibly attractive it's easy to romanticize being beautiful and young and is Paris. And I guess that makes me just like all the other basic b!tches who watch the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugsrat
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"