Europalia: Katharina Prospekt. "The Russians" by A.F. Vandevorst

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Here's some interesting exhibition news from MoMu in Antwerpen. Looks really cool! :woot:

The Fashion Museum of the province of Antwerp (MoMu) has invited the team of designers of A.F. Vandevorst to create an exhibition within the context of Europalia Russia. In “Katharina Prospekt”, An Vandevorst and Filip Arickx show us their vision of Russia based on the universe of A.F. Vandevorst. The colour red, military uniforms, and religious costumes, but also materials such as leather, fur, and felt are, indeed, important sources of inspiration in their own collections of clothing. These are the elements which guided the two designers in their selection of objects and costumes from the collection of the Museum of History of Moscow.

The starting point of the exhibition is a series of objects or images inextricably linked to Russia: Russian matrioshkas or Russian dolls, vodka, the fur hat, the long queues of the Soviet era, the Volga … These stereotypes give a distorted image of contemporary Russia and obscure the diversity of its peoples, cultures, styles, and historical periods. By integrating these clichés into the scenography of the exhibition, A.F. Vandevorst makes us rediscover modern Russia. Like the Russian dolls which hold inside them a series of smaller dolls, the exhibition comprises several dimensions in which the historical collection of clothing of the State Historical Museum of Moscow is confronted with ever different contexts.

Curators:
Tamara Igoumnova, State Historical Museum Moscow
An Vandevorst & Filip Arickx, fashion designers

A.F. Vandevorst A/W 05
339_8.jpg

A.F. Vandevorst A/W 05
339_17.jpg

Edward Lipski-Animal
339_20.jpg

Olga Chernycheva-Second Life
339_26.jpg

Collectie Muhka-Human Portrait,Kerim Ragimov
339_23.jpg

339_29.jpg

(all images MoMu)

eek!...that dancing lady scares me...:lol:

but i don;t know what scares me more....
her or the 'animal' on a skewer....:unsure:

:shock:...:ninja:.....

:lol:

The buffalo is indeed a tad freaky...otherwise I wish I could check it out. I'm rather keen on Russian connotations of dress. Especially,military.

yes-russian military is a very good thing...style-wise...

love the vandervoorst pieces posted...
i am a HUGE sucker for their stitched cross logo...
gets me every time...
^_^...

thanks for the info scott.....
:flower:

I was just about to mention the detailed shots of Vandevorst :heart: Nice to see too after so many were downright negative about this collection on here....it looks so much more interesting in this light.

looks like a really cool exhibit. i should get my a$$ to antwerp.

^^ So should I. Especially now I have my CKV pass, which means you get discount as a student. Thanks for the call, Scott. I love AF Vandevorst.

the animal thing scares me, image yr dog dangling over there.....yuck~~~

I love the 1st dress, always love tht style.

Yes, yes, yes!! Thank you!...are there some more pictures?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing any of it in the AFV A/W 2005 collection? Wasn't it about patchworked green brocade?

Not everything....the top image was actually in the collection,I remember...or a variation in a different colour. They always include the military/felt stuff every season as it's one of their signature's.

The only other images on the web site were a couple runway shots of the collection....and we've already seen them so I just decided not to post them.

sounds great. for lack of fund, i might be sending my waterloo correspondant down there to see it for me. :lol: :cry:

perlefine said:
^^ So should I. Especially now I have my CKV pass, which means you get discount as a student. Thanks for the call, Scott. I love AF Vandevorst.

You can use that in Belgium? If so, count me in! It sounds very nice to see myself. Thanks for bringing this in!

travolta said:
looks like a really cool exhibit. i should get my a$$ to antwerp.

if only i had the time OR the money :(

i fell in love with Russian culture while visiting beautiful Moscow and this sounds like an excellent exhibition, thanks for bringing this in scott :flower:

(actually that lady seems to be marching, not dancing)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ yea! i found out a long time ago imagination will make ya rich! $$$

anyways, i would love to someday visit antwerp and moscow! something about the aesthetic i really relate to...definately gotta see it myself. oh, and thanks for photos. if anyone manages to go remember bring back a report!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to make a trip myself....got a wonderful,dear friend in Moscow who posts here actually...coconut :heart:

You know,the lady dancing/marching...tuniform with all the pins remind of An and Filip's first collection....I remember I saw a shot from that particular show and it was all about military(no surprise)with badges embellished in the same way and had those decorative epaulets with the gold fringe(what's that called?)....great getting them to do spearhead this exhibition.

Mr-Dale said:
You can use that in Belgium? If so, count me in! It sounds very nice to see myself. Thanks for bringing this in!
Yes. I'm going this week. Dragging moms to Antwerp, Moscow might be next :zorro:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiyahG
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->