Virgil Abloh - Designer

I'm not surprised if this is true, it seems fitting cause it is not like Virgil was presented at the LV atelier full-time (hence the questionable quality of the tailoring during his tenure) with all the side hustle gigs that he did when he was there.
To them, fashion is just another side job to keep them even busier.

But it's a pity that menswear will never get a fashion treatment like womenswear.

But kudo to Pharrell, from hustled into associate with Chanel to become designing for LV. That's quite a coup. At least we won't have to see him at Chanel anymore I guess.

I love how womenswear designers have childhoods of drawing fancily dressed women, before slaving away for five years at a fashion school, another five to fifteen years at a fashion house, before finally starting something of their own, while menswear designers just simply come into existence like a failed abortion. :rofl:

I’m always puzzled when I read that Virgil Abloh was the first black American designer at the helm of an European fashion house…

Edward Buchanan at Bottega Veneta? Patrick Robinson at Paco Rabanne? I mean, get your history together journalists for god sake!

Pharrell? At this point whatever…
There are no gatekeepers in this industry anyway. He collaborated with Vuitton in 2005 so I guess it’s back to home but I have always found his fashion journey quite sketchy…Going from brands to brands.

The fashion industry is really the only industry with nobody around to say « stop the non-sense ». It’s like a brothel really. Celebrities are all chasing an endorsement contract and if it wasn’t enough now they are taking real people’s job.

It’s even more annoying considering that they auditioned real designers.

It seems as though Vuitton will never unify the mens and womens under one creative director as they would limit the diversity of clients that they can address with more than one vision.. I seem to recall the ceo even saying something to this effect..
It's perfectly reasonable, Dior and Hermès are doing it. When YSL retired from RTW, he chose Alber Elbaz for womenswear and Hedi Slimane for menswear. I find it difficult for one CD to focus on the two, which in my mind are two really different markets.

The fashion industry is really the only industry with nobody around to say « stop the non-sense ». It’s like a brothel really.
:lol:

I still don't get fashion's eternal obsession with Pharrell, he's like their one reference for all things 'street' since like 2007.. very finance bro, or the Arnault men for that matter, like 'yeah I listen to a lot of rap.. umm.. I play Pharrell when getting ready in the morning'.

:lol:

I still don't get fashion's eternal obsession with Pharrell, he's like their one reference for all things 'street' since like 2007.. very finance bro, or the Arnault men for that matter, like 'yeah I listen to a lot of rap.. umm.. I play Pharrell when getting ready in the morning'.

lol totally, these aging millennial wannabe Hypebeast dudes are still religious to the "cool" references from when they were in high school: Pharrel, Kanye, Virgil, Kid Cudi, Tyler, the Creator, Supreme, Air Jordans, Takashi Murakami, Kaws... it's almost a caricature.

I’m always puzzled when I read that Virgil Abloh was the first black American designer at the helm of an European fashion house…

Edward Buchanan at Bottega Veneta? Patrick Robinson at Paco Rabanne? I mean, get your history together journalists for god sake!

He's not even the first one at LVMH, Ozwald Boateng was menswear creative director at Givenchy in 2004-07. The first one in the 2010s, sure, but that doesn't make as spectacular a statement as "the first ever", never mind if it's factually untrue and disrespectful to the actual designers who were the actual firsts.

The fashion industry is really the only industry with nobody around to say « stop the non-sense ». It’s like a brothel really. Celebrities are all chasing an endorsement contract and if it wasn’t enough now they are taking real people’s job.

At least in the 00s when they pulled that Lohan nonsense at Emanuel Ungaro, the fashion press laughed them out of the house. Now it's a bigger brand (THE biggest brand), no one was going to say a thing, and I say this as someone who liked the look of Virgil's LV collections better than his stuff for Off-White.

Apparently, the announcement has been very well received in social media.

Question: How well is Off-White doing without Virgil? I haven't really heard anything about the brand since Virgil's last collection...

He's not even the first one at LVMH, Ozwald Boateng was menswear creative director at Givenchy in 2004-07. The first one in the 2010s, sure, but that doesn't make as spectacular a statement as "the first ever", never mind if it's factually untrue and disrespectful to the actual designers who were the actual firsts.

At least in the 00s when they pulled that Lohan nonsense at Emanuel Ungaro, the fashion press laughed them out of the house. Now it's a bigger brand (THE biggest brand), no one was going to say a thing, and I say this as someone who liked the look of Virgil's LV collections better than his stuff for Off-White.
Ozwald Boateng is British

FWIW Ozwald Boatengs Givenchy Homme was devastatingly chic and ended too soon. Absolutely exquisite fabrics and magical fit. I think he left to focus on his own Savile Row line.

Pretty sure Off Whites offering has been reduced to shoes and accessories. At least thats what it seems from whats being stocked though Im not checking too closely. More of a peripheral thing.

Question: How well is Off-White doing without Virgil? I haven't really heard anything about the brand since Virgil's last collection...
Ib Kamara presented the FW2023 and the brand is still going. LVMH owns the company Off White but the license is held by Farfetch, via New Guard Group which is some sort of incubator with AMBUSH or Palms Angels.
I’ve read that they had some internal changes regarding the executives but I think that the brand has a potential, weirdly, without Virgil to be more than a hype brand. That connection between fashion and culture makes sense with a brand that has a DNA with Hip-Hop and sometimes, I feel like there’s a disconnect with what the very Italian studio is doing, the image of the brand and the HF pretentions of Ib Kamara.

They dressed Beyonce and are still operating so I guess, it’s there. But they needs a proper creative director.

Ib Kamara presented the FW2023 and the brand is still going. LVMH owns the company Off White but the license is held by Farfetch, via New Guard Group which is some sort of incubator with AMBUSH or Palms Angels.
I’ve read that they had some internal changes regarding the executives but I think that the brand has a potential, weirdly, without Virgil to be more than a hype brand. That connection between fashion and culture makes sense with a brand that has a DNA with Hip-Hop and sometimes, I feel like there’s a disconnect with what the very Italian studio is doing, the image of the brand and the HF pretentions of Ib Kamara.

They dressed Beyonce and are still operating so I guess, it’s there. But they needs a proper creative director.
Thanks. That's somewhat comforting to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WesleyWong
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->