Eva Hesse - Sculptor & Painter

classicalbang

shake off your flesh
Reaction score
Eva Hesse (1936-1970), German-born American Postminimalist sculptor and painter.

Eva Hesse was born in Germany in 1936. She and her sister escaped Nazi persecution by fleeing on a children's train and were later reunited with their parents and moved to New York. She studied painting and drawing at Cooper Union and Yale University. In 1964, she and her husband, the sculptor Tom Doyle, were invited to make art in a German factory by the textile manufacturer and collector F. Arnhard Scheidt.

While she and Doyle shared a floor of the factory, Hesse began creating her first sculptures. She began by making reliefs, inspired by the qualities of string and plaster. From reliefs she moved to objects, using papier mâché, paint, tubing, dyed nets and dangling string. Following these sculptures she made a greater use of repetition and began to incorporate metal into her work.

In 1967, Hesse discovered latex (a material that she knew would eventually deteriorate), fiberglass and polyester resin. Hesse loved the irregular shapes and surfaces that these materials produced, and also the translucency. Hesse often created elaborate, handmade pieces involving obsessive repetition. However, she was not interested in certain technical aspects of sculpture. For many of her later pieces made of metal and fiberglass, she left the fabrication to outside companies. During the late '60's, it was popular to remove the appearance of the artist's hand from the work. For Hesse, it was more for practical reasons than intellectual ones. During this period, when she was creating some of her most well known pieces, she developed brain tumors and continued to work until she became too ill. Then, she directed assistants to create and install her work. Hesse died in 1970 at the age of thirty four.
Some of my favorites....

2a98pkx.jpg

Hang Up
January 1966
Acrylic, cloth, wood, cord, steel

2l9h28k.jpg

Ennead
Acrylic, papier-mache, plastic, plywood, string

shafe.co.uk, artnet.com

9krxc6.jpg

Right After
Fiberglass, polyester resin, wire

2upebh5.jpg

Contingent
November 1969
Fiberglass, polyester resin, latex, cheesecloth

t7lnpy.jpg

No title
Latex, rope, string, wire

brooklynmuseum.org, abstractions.deidreadams.com, nytimes.com

brain tumors.. i wanted if it came from playing with the latex, resins...
a person i worked for was telling me about the old days she was from.. 60s like Hesse..and they would play with heating polyesters and things, without any masks.. many people developed cancer including her

anyway i like the irregular lines in these works
but there is something about the stark one black line in the first one.. thin and getting much thicker. i feel a lot more minimalism there ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->