Fur : Real v. Faux... Fashion's Hairiest Debate

I have no real side in this game, coming from a place where we don't wear fur, but I realise that people in colder climes might find it more useful, and banning it here is fine by me, no one is buying fur anyway? But neither do I support going and throwing paint at people that look like they're wearing fur coats..or burning them (I see people donate old fur coats to wildlife sanctuaries for orphaned fox cubs to sleep on..much more constructive and actually good for animals) ... The thing I really can't support is petroleum-product-based fake fur....that stuff will never biodegrade...I've seen "faux fur" a few seasons ago that was made out of wool though, that seems like an interesting alternative. But who knows if Peta is going to come for wool next and insist that we should all wear "man made" fabrics ie acrylics...which, no thank you.

Sheepskin is still technically a fur or hair-on-hide so is this really their best way of bypassing what would be and is bit of a faux pas?

Don't get me wrong, I love sheep skin and think it can be a beautiful substitute when used smartly (same as goat hides, astrakhan and the like). Just be honest Prada. That is also a heinous amount of cash for what is a relatively simple coat. Same as their Kalgan Jacket, makes my brain implode just a little bit.

i think that the demand for fur never dropped and Prada has bills to pay lol.

20k is fair since many of Pradas direct competitors offer no fur for men besides Fendi. Fendi furs have always cost as much as a small toyota. I dont like fur jackets on men they are always very loud … this is no different.

Last edited:
Sheep skin and calf skin use with or with out hair still falls under fur free as agreed Fur Free Alliance (FFA)

Astrakhan is lamb skin and has more tight curls

The Prada Group will only sell leather and other products considered by-products of the meat trade (example: sheepskin and calfskin).

THE PRADA GROUP ANNOUNCES FUR-FREE POLICY AND JOINS THE INTERNATIONAL FUR FREE RETAILER PROGRAM​

The Prada Group has not used animal fur in its designs or products since the SS20 Women’s collection. The Prada Group will only sell leather and other products considered by-products of the meat trade (example: sheepskin and calfskin). Existing inventory is being sold until it has been used up.
In collaboration with the Fur Free Alliance (FFA), a coalition of more than 50 animal protection organisations from over 40 countries, the Prada Group’s announcement, released in May 2019, followed a positive dialogue between the luxury brand and FFA members, LAV and The Humane Society of the United States.

About twenty years ago, I can remember astrakhan in fashion being generally debated because of the use of very young lambs for its production, with some articles saying that the most prized version of the skin came from unborn lambs.

Not fond of the wet look of astrakhan, it reminds me of that moment when the lamb gets pushed out of the back end, and it flops out covered with fluids and membrane... I can only think 'mucus' when I see the skin.

Forgive my ignorance. Astrakhan comes from baby lambs. So then this would be the by product of Veal one of the most controversial types of meat.

ugh just sell real fur at very limited quantity. those cheap and ugly plastic furs will do more bad than good
Its kinda crazy how the last 10 years of progress is being redone. People are like - no we like gas cars and fur.

selling plastic fur isnt progress at all.. do we really believe all of that leather is a biproduct from the meat industry?