good quality brands v. bad quality brands made in france

satine112

Reaction score
I like to purchase clothes that were made in france. To me, it seems to be better quality. But, like in america, there are the "wal-mart" brands, made in USA and the "juicy" brands, also made in usa (sorry, only thing i can think of right now...but, there are higher class stuff made in usa too). One is low quality, made in usa, and the other is higher.

So, my question is, what are the "lower quality" brands that are made in france, and the "higher" ones.

Like, i just purchase a Huit brand bra...is that brand a cheapy one in france or is it nice? Same as my Majestic Paris t-shirts.

anyways, just curious. Thanks :wink:

I guess the clothing you get in the Monoprix stores are low quality or at least cheap, though I don't really think that cheap stuff is really MADE in france rather than sold. The cheap walmart clothing is really made in the USA and not in some third world country?!

oh, i don't know about the wal-mart thing..i'm just guessing. that was just how i was trying to get my point across :smile:

so, then, that's good to know, that no matter what store it's at in france, it's all well made, excellent quality stuff. :smile:

i guess you don't have cheapo discount store there either, which is good.

most things for sale in walmart are not made in america, which is ironic b/c that was walmarts original purpose (american made for americans).

satine112 said:
so, then, that's good to know, that no matter what store it's at in france, it's all well made, excellent quality stuff. :smile:

i guess you don't have cheapo discount store there either, which is good.

there are also H&M, Zara and C&A in France (at least in Paris) where stuff is sold that's made in third world countries. so if you want excellent quality stuff you still have to stick to the pricey designers (like Goyard) methinks... but I'm not French, so I don't know if there are well made less costly stuff

Generally speaking you need to pay to assure quality clothing - well constructed, well designed, excellent fabrics that last...however, that said I find the quality of Louis Vuitton clothing superior to that of Chloe. Of the Italian-made designer brands I find Balenciaga especially the cheaper lines the knits, silks, etc. to be of poor quality and I used to have problems with some of the hi-tech fabrics used by Prada. I am not sure totally sure about the quality of some of the mid-range brands in France such as Comptoir des Cotonniers, Et Vous and Zadig & Voltaire but all they offer a quality very french look at quite good prices.

Talking about US brands - I used to find GAP to be excellent value for money but now not so and in the UK, good old frumpsville M&S used to do great quality cashmere in pretty standard unadventurous styles. However, since manufacturing and sourcing of their cashmere moved to China, the price has also dropped slightly and the quality majorly.

Grill said:
Generally speaking you need to pay to assure quality clothing - well constructed, well designed, excellent fabrics that last...however, that said I find the quality of Louis Vuitton clothing superior to that of Chloe. Of the Italian-made designer brands I find Balenciaga especially the cheaper lines the knits, silks, etc. to be of poor quality and I used to have problems with some of the hi-tech fabrics used by Prada. I am not sure totally sure about the quality of some of the mid-range brands in France such as Comptoir des Cotonniers, Et Vous and Zadig & Voltaire but all they offer a quality very french look at quite good prices.

Talking about US brands - I used to find GAP to be excellent value for money but now not so and in the UK, good old frumpsville M&S used to do great quality cashmere in pretty standard unadventurous styles. However, since manufacturing and sourcing of their cashmere moved to China, the price has also dropped slightly and the quality majorly.

im sorry but Balenciaga is spanish:-P

think stuffs like lacoste has gr8 quality.. bout aTshirt 5 years ago and til today its like new! the other stuffs like dior chanel lv catier have much better quality thenitalian one like dolce&Gbbana, cavalli ect...

Some prada stuffs have gr8 quality.. but not all of them

my Lacoste polo got holes near the armpits after ~2 years, so I don't think the quality justifies the price afterall. I'll stick to the H&Ms right now, I'll see if they'll hold up. Where is Lacoste made now? They used to be made in France, but nowadays the label doesn't say the country of origin...

Grill said:
Of the Italian-made designer brands I find Balenciaga especially the cheaper lines the knits, silks, etc. to be of poor quality and I used to have problems with some of the hi-tech fabrics used by Prada.

My Balenciaga and Prada things have been nothing but top quality, maybe mens and womens are made in different factories. Speaking of French brands poorly made in Italy, I have a Givenchy knitted t-shirt which I think I wore a handful of times before it got a hole in it! And after wearing it as a layer a few more times it has several! Utter Rubbish.

Majestic t-shirts

I wonder how good this brand is too?? THe fabric feels wonderful but I wonder if they hold up well and are worth the price??? Thanks for any opinions!

im sorry but Balenciaga is spanish:-P

Yes, Cristobal Balenciaga was Spanish, but it's a Paris based company with a French designer and their clothing (at least what I have) is made in Italy.

This thread seems confused about 'brands' made in France and French brands. Products made in wealthy countries like France may be of a higher quality. Why would you pay a French worker 1300+ Euro per month when you can pay a worker of a different nationality that amount per decade unless the quality is higher and can be marketed as such. Business people are not stupid (despite all appearances...) and expect you to think thusly, so there might be exceptions to this logic. But if you can't tell yourself if an item is high quality or not (as the original poster mentions), what's the difference?

I favour made in Japan. -_-

I do not understand this topic, just because it's a french company does not mean it's made in France.

I wonder how many clothes are made in France if the company is not French? I did not understood if you like french brands or your if you just look for the made in France tag in clothes of other nationalities.:blink:

i have some lacoste tanks that are made in morocco. quality is decent. it is "designed" in france - whatever that means. :rolleyes:

Labels like 1,2,3 and Carroll are mostly Made in France. The fabric is great and the cutting is very nice. Mine last for years.

I know Majestic Paris are made in France and the process is a secret according to the owner. I just wondered if anyone had any comments on them.

Labels like 1,2,3 and Carroll are mostly Made in France. The fabric is great and the cutting is very nice. Mine last for years.

I second that. I used to work for Caroll a few years ago and the brand does have its production made in France.

I have a Caroll jumper from that time and it hasn't moved (no holes, pull), really immaculate which I can't say from my Zara's after a couple of wear.

What I find more and more annoying though are French brands which don't state on their labels where their clothes are made, like Maje or Sandro.

I searched my wardrobe but couldn't find if the clothes I owned were made in France or elsewhere.

About Majestic, I saw some stuff in departement stores, it looks okay but honestly all those hyped new French brands tire me.

There are so many of them, some so identical to the previous "(h)it" brand from a couple of weeks ago which all set over-priced tags that I just head back to classical basic stuff & brands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->