Grace Ahn - Makeup Artist

Benn98

Reaction score
grace-1.jpg

What It's Like To Assist A Top Makeup Artist
  • by INTO THE GLOSS
    Last Tuesday, we profiled Yadim, who rather famously went from being Pat McGrath's first assistant to one of most sought-after makeup artists around the world, in what feels like no time at all. Which got us thinking: Who's next? So on the eve of New York Fashion Week, here are three of the artists right behind some of the greats. They've worked with the likes of Tom Pecheux (who does Chanel's shows), Diane Kendal (Alexander Wang, Jason Wu), and yes, Yadim—not to mention clocking their fair share of solo work as well. Here's a bit about their career paths—part How To Be A First Assistant, part Branching Out On Your Own Path. Keep an eye out for these names in a few years time...

GRACE AHN
    "Currently, I don’t have an agent, but I work with Peter Philips for all of his shows, and I’m on Diane Kendal’s core team. I also do Tom Pecheux’s shows. Before that, I was Benjamin Puckey’s first assistant for about a year, so I’ve gotten the chance to work with a lot of people in a lot of different capacities. It's really easy to get hooked on assistant work—you get used to getting that paycheck...but I try to balance it with my own stuff more and more. Recently, I’ve done editorial work for L’Officiel and French Elle. I also do makeup for e-commerce shoots at Urban Outfitters out of Philadelphia. I’ll get assistants for that kind of work. It’s so weird to be on the other side of that relationship now.

Before I moved to New York four years ago, I was working behind a makeup counter in LA. Eventually, I decided I wanted to go freelance and do makeup for shoots and shows, so my boyfriend and I came here. It was a surprisingly easy transition, actually—a friend of mine knew an agent that gave me some small jobs right away. The, the first big show I worked on was with Diane Kendal, and it was like an epiphany for me. We were working with Lancôme for Jason Wu, and I was so nervous that’d I’d mess up in front of her because she’s such a legend…but then, oddly enough, when I met her, it came naturally to me. We got along really well.

Shows are chaos everywhere for like, four hours, and then it's over. A lot of people don’t like it because they kind of enjoy the calmness of an isolated shoot—whereas before a show, there's anxiety-driven craziness. But surprisingly, for how mellow I am, it came naturally to me and I got it. My favorite backstage by far is the Chanel show—I do that one with Tom. It’s really different from the rest of the shows because they don’t let press backstage, and it’s the last show of the season for most people, and everyone’s really happy and excited to be there.

From my experience, success in this industry is a combination of luck and seizing that opportunity. Things happen very quickly because all of a sudden you get a last minute chance to work with this person, and then you take it, and while you’re doing it and in that moment, you just have to be the best. That’s the best way I can say it. And if an artist notices you, they’ll ask for you again, and you build a relationship with them over time. The point is you do your job really well to make their job easier. But there are other artists who need to know they’ll get along with you personally and that the energy is synched. In my experience, it’s been 50/50. You kind of have to mold with their personality as well as do the work.”
Into The Gloss

UK Harper's Bazaar May 2019

Portrait of a Bride

Photographer: Tina Tyrell
Stylist: Carine Roitfeld
Hair: Lucas Wilson
Makeup: Grace Ahn
Manicure: Mei Kawajiri
Cast: Taylor Hill, Chunjie Liu, Hiandra Martinez, Hannah Ferguson, Grace Elizabeth, Ugbad Abdi

UK Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

Vogue Italia December 2019

MJ in NJ

Photographer: Francesco Carrozzini
Stylist: Gabriella Karefa-Johnson
Hair: Brent Lawler
Manicure: Honey
Cast: MJ Rodriguez

Vogue Italia Digital Edition

Another Man Autumn/Winter 2018

A Feeling Unknown

Photographer: Gareth McConnell
Stylist: Peghah Maleknejad
Hair: Shingo Shibata
Cast: Charlie Plummer

Another Man Digital Edition

Vogue España September 2020

En Marcha

Photographer: Camila Falquez
Set Design: Gerard Santos
Stylist: Shibon Kennedy
Hair: Evanie Frausto
Cast: Sam Penn, Charlie Ford Nishimura, Kiara Marshall, Vineeta Maruri, Nyawal Tut, NYC Revolutionaries, Marsha P. Johnson and SylviaRivera, Aria de Chicchis, Arziki Phenyo, Pam Mbatani

Vogue España Digital Edition

US Harper's Bazaar September 2020

Comfort Zone

Photographer: Sharif Hamza
Stylist: Elissa Santisi
Hair: Tamara McNaughton
Cast: Barbara Valente

US Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

WSJ Magazine Spring 2021

All Dressed Up For When You Have Somewhere to Go

Photographer: Nadine Ijewere
Stylist: Gabriella Karefa Johnson
Hair: Edward Lampley
Cast: Tess McMillan, Tianna St. Louis, Sara Grace Wallerstedt

WSJ Magazine Digital Edition

Vogue España March 2021

Reina Del 'Glam'

Photographer: Paula Kudacki
Stylist: Julie Ragolia
Hair: Lacy Redway
Cast: Jennae Quisenberry

Allure June/July 2021

Queens Gambit

Photography: Christine Hahn
Styling: Kyle Luu
Hair: Gonn Kinoshita
Cast: Awkwafina

Allure Digital Edition

UK GQ Style Summer 2021

I Am Legend

Photography: Luke Gilford
Styling: Luke Day
Hair: Kendall Dorsey
Cast: Lil Nas X

UK GQ Style Digital Edition

US Vogue June/July 2021

High & Mighty?

Photography: Joshua Woods
Styling: Gabriella Karefa-Johnson
Hair: Lacy Redway
Models: Kendall Jenner, Laura Harrier

US Vogue Digital Edition

US Vogue June/July 2021

Here Comes The Sun

Photography: Hugo Comte
Styling: Gabriella Karefa-Johnson
Hair: Edward Lampley
Model: Hailey Bieber

US Vogue Digital Edition

Vogue España July 2021

El Renacer De La Alta Costura

Photography: Camila Falquez
Styling: Herin Choi
Hair: Orlando Pita
Models: Awuor Dit, Tricia Akello, Liyah James

Vogue Australia July 2021

Over & Under

Photography: Geordie Wood
Styling: Melissa Levy
Hair: Eric Williams
Model: Sara Grace Wallerstedt

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

Vogue Italia August 2021

Family Story

Photography: Francesca Sorrenti
Styling: Matt Holmes
Hair: Ashley Javier
Models: Lindsey Wixson & Vivienne Rohner

Vogue Italia Digital Edition

UK Vogue January 2022

Reflections on Beauty

Photography: Sharif Hamza
Styling: Dena Giannini
Hair: Evanie Frausto
Models: Varsha Thapa, Manami Kinoshita, Aida Buarat, Atikah Karim, Yumi Nu, Serguelen Mariano, Ngoc Minh Ngo, Chloe Magno, Ling Tan, Fernanda Ly, Nuri Son

UK Vogue Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouA
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->