Grammy Nominations 2006

*JJ*

Reaction score
from people.com:

Thursday brought good news to Mariah Carey. With the announcement of the 48th annual Grammy Awards nominations, the songbird finalized her storied comeback by earning eight nods, including record, album and song of the year, as well as for best female pop vocalist.

Also earning eight nods were John Legend and Kanye West. Soul crooner Legend's nominations included best new artist, while his mentor West is up for album of the year for Late Registration and song of the year for "Gold Digger."

"This is incredible," Carey told CBS's Early Show. "I feel blessed to be a part of today. I feel blessed for having this incredible year. I'm just grateful for everything I have."

She said she felt best over the nomination for The Emancipation of Mimi as album of the year. ("We Belong Together" is up for song and record.) As for how she found the strength to rebuild her career after it seemingly fell apart in the wake of her disastrous movie and album Glitter, Carey, acknowledging that she's managed "a comeback," said: "It's about spirituality and getting back to a place where you have as much faith in yourself and in God as you can."

Six nominations went to 50 Cent, Beyonce Knowles, The Black Eyed Peas' Will.i.am and Stevie Wonder.

While Coldplay (which won record of the year in 2003 for "Clocks") didn't score as well as anticipated, Bruce Springsteen – who tied with Missy Elliott, Alicia Keys, Gwen Stefani and U2 with five nominations – was among the surprises. His "Devils & Dust" is in the running for song of the year, along with Rascal Flatts' "Bless the Broken Road," Legend's "Ordinary People," Carey's "We Belong Together" and U2's "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own."

Four nominations each also went to Common, Destiny's Child, Foo Fighters, Gorillaz, Neptunes, Brad Paisley, Phil Tan and Gretchen Wilson.

"It's been an amazing year and this is the icing on the cake," Legend told the E! network after the announcement.

West, meanwhile, told MTV earlier this week: "If I don't win album of the year, I'm gonna really have a problem with that."

The Grammys will air live from Los Angeles on CBS Feb. 8.

Here's a rundown of the top categories:

Album of the Year
The Emancipation of Mimi, Mariah Carey
Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, Paul McCartney
Love. Angel. Music. Baby., Gwen Stefani
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, U2
Late Registration, Kanye West

Record of the Year
• "We Belong Together," Mariah Carey
• "Feel Good Inc.," Gorillaz featuring De La Soul
• "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," Green Day
• "Hollaback Girl" Gwen Stefani
• "Gold Digger" Kanye West

Song of the Year
• "Bless the Broken Road" (performed by Rascal Flatts), Bobby Boyd, Jeff Hanna & Marcus Hummon
• "Devils & Dust," Bruce Springsteen
• "Ordinary People" (performed by John Legend), Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas
• "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own," U2
• "We Belong Together" (performed by Mariah Carey), J. Austin, Mariah Carey, Jermaine Dupri and Manuel Seal

Best New Artist
• Ciara
• Fall Out Boy
• Keane
• John Legend
• SugarLand

Pop Album
Extraordinary Machine, Fiona Apple
Breakaway, Kelly Clarkson
Wildflower, Sheryl Crow
Chaos And Creation In The Backyard, Paul McCartney
Love. Angel. Music. Baby., Gwen Stefani

Rap Album
Be, Common
The Cookbook, Missy Elliott
Encore, Eminem
The Massacre, 50 Cent

Rock Album
X&Y, Coldplay
In Your Honor, Foo Fighters
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, U2
A Bigger Bang, the Rolling Stones
Prairie Wind, Neil Young

Country Album
Fireflies, Faith Hill
Lonely Runs Both Ways, Alison Krauss and Union Station
Time Well Wasted, Brad Paisley
All Jacked Up, Gretchen Wilson
Jasper County, Trisha Yearwood

R&B Album
Illumination, Earth, Wind & Fire
Free Yourself, Fantasia
Unplugged, Alicia Keys
Get Lifted, John Legend
A Time to Love, Stevie Wonder

Electronic Music/Dance Album
Push the Button, the Chemical Brothers
Human After All, Daft Punk
Palookaville, Fatboy Slim
Minimum-Maximum, Kraftwerk
LCD Soundsystem, LCD Soundsystem

Alternative Music Album
Funeral, The Arcade Fire
Guero, Beck
Plans, Death Cab for Cutie
You Could Have It So Much Better, Franz Ferdinand
Get Behind Me Satan, The White Stripes

I'm so glad Mariah Is nominated for 8. And I sure hope she sweeps them this year. It looks like she has a pretty good chance to bag R&B vocal, Contemp. R&B album, record and song of the year.
I have a feeling they're going to be good to her this year, especially after everyone thought she was finished and especially after 1996's Grammy's when she was nominated for 6 but went home with nothing.

Wow,Fiona Apple got a nod so soon after her album was realeased? I suppose that's what she meant when she said they(execs) wanted something more commercial. I bet that leaked version was so much better though.

Btw,I think this belongs in Art of Noise..

Herbie Hancock and Christina Aguilera got a nod. That's good, she sang her heart out on that song.

Eeeek!!!! WTF!!! I read all the nominations and I'm sick to my stomache:sick:
None of them should me nominated for a grammy....I can't believe the crap that they play on the radio is nominated....like Mariah Carey....this is an abomination to over-paid, crappy artists being nominated....there is something really wrong with this....:angry: .......:ninja:

I disagree with you!
Mariah Carey is a great singer, and deserves to be nominated.
Maybe you don't have any taste in music.

Yeah, Mariah is truly a great singer, regardless of musical style.

50 Cent being nominated for a Grammy is an insult to music. He is one of the worst rappers I've ever heard.

And I hope Ciara doesn't win. She hasn't demonstrated much singing ability in any of her songs. Most of them practically have the smallest vocal range possible. :lol:

AlexN said:
50 Cent being nominated for a Grammy is an insult to music. He is one of the worst rappers I've ever heard.

I was just thinking that to myself. I mean I listen to his top 40 hits, but does the man really deserve the nomination? :sick:

I have no doubt in my mind that Fall Out Boy will win Best New Artist. I mean, who dosen't know all the words to "Sugar, We're Going Down"?

AlexN said:
Yeah, Mariah is truly a great singer, regardless of musical style.

I couldn't agree more. I actually wish her luck.

Does anybody have any predictions as to who will win?

I don't listen to anything except the "Alternative" and "Electronic" categories. and then I think LCD Soundsystem and either Beck or the White Stripes will win.

My Picks:

Album of the Year Late Registration, Kanye West
Record of the Year "Gold Digger" Kanye West
Best New Artist John Legend
Pop Album Love. Angel. Music. Baby., Gwen Stefani
Rap Album Late Registration, Kanye West
Rock Album How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, U2
Electronic Music/Dance Album Push the Button, the Chemical Brothers
Alternative Music Album Funeral, The Arcade Fire

My picks:

Album of the Year
Record of the Year
• "Gold Digger" Kanye West
Song of the Year
• "We Belong Together" (performed by Mariah Carey), J. Austin, Mariah Carey, Jermaine Dupri and Manuel Seal
Best New Artist
• Fall Out Boy
Pop Album
Extraordinary Machine, Fiona Apple (fingers crossed)... but I think
Breakaway, Kelly Clarkson will win
Rap Album
Rock Album
I could care less....
Country Album
I could care less
R&B Album
Get Lifted, John Legend
Electronic Music/Dance Album
Yet again, I could care less
Alternative Music Album
Plans, Death Cab for Cutie

^ I'm sorry but Fall Out Boy does not deserve any kind of award. (this goes for many of the others also :innocent: ) Grammys lose their validity when they nominate the obvious mainstream and crap like Gretchen Wilson. Has anyone heard that "redneck woman" song she did? It is the most unbearable song ever.

I love it how Franz Ferdinand and The White Stripes are under 'alternative'. American music genres are so quaint.

kellyt said:
^ I'm sorry but Fall Out Boy does not deserve any kind of award. (this goes for many of the others also :innocent: ) Grammys lose their validity when they nominate the obvious mainstream and crap like Gretchen Wilson. Has anyone heard that "redneck woman" song she did? It is the most unbearable song ever.

That's your opinion.It's not their fault that their mainstream. I for one, LOVE Fall Out Boy and think that their lyrics are exteremly clever. Sometimes "hype" is well deserved.

50 cent and Ciara are mainstream. With lyrics like, "Lil Mama show me how you move it, better yet put your back into it. " and "....Oh", I find it hard that artists like that are nominated.

But, if these artists aren't nominated, who will watch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->