Grey Ant

wyatt.

Reaction score
i think this LA based designer deserves his own topic.

5.jpg

jumpsuit featured in M.I.A's new video 'Bucky Done Gun'

www.greyant.com

http://www.greyant.com/movie.htm
[watch the last fashion show. the presentation and craftsmenship is amazing]
"Lucky revelers at Grey Ant's Fall 2005 show were entertained by front row look-alike's of Michael Jackson, Cher, Divine and Boy George – infinitely more entertaining than seat-fillers at so many other shows! The clothes spliced in between the theatrical eclecticism of Grant Krajecki's production were quirky, yet salable. The real stars included jumpsuits, quilted flannel plaid jackets with contrast piping and hooded mini dresses." -Lynne Simmons

http://fashionfile.com/designers/GreyAnt.html
[a past collection featurette by Tim Blanks]

PAPER MAG
Grant Krajecki, the brainchild behind Los Angeles' label Grey Ant, has never been into subtlety -- so the accident that took place during the debut of his Fall 2000 line hardly seems out of place. While strutting down the catwalk, one of the models was slashed onstage by an overly enthusiastic dancer performing with the Psycho Dance Sho troupe. During a sultry Tango, the dancer cut off the model's dress -- as planned -- but slipped and sent her to the emergency room for 20 stitches.

This reckless slash and burn, cut 'em up presentation makes its way into the Grey Ant collection: See Krajecki's homage to Flashdance, Judas Priest, Saturday Night Fever, Chloe Sevigny in Boy's Don't Cry and the mall rats from subUrbia. Nods to his own early years thrifting and a fetish for extreme Hollywood fashion also show up in the clothes. Krajecki expertly mixes this hodgepodge of influences into a crystal-clear vision of absurd sportswear, clothing so intricately thought out and precision cut that the novelty rides shotgun to the sheer brilliance of the craftsmanship, quality and tailoring. It's a rare designer who can take an off-the-shoulder, oversized t-shirt "gown" and give it as much relevance and moxie as a Halston original, but Grey Ant does it with a sarcastic twist and an ironic wink to his fans.

The 32-year old designer left Oak Park, Ill., for Hollywood when he was 21, with no money and no forwarding address. Once rooted in tinseltown, Krajecki met some p*rn directors at a party who were looking for costume designers to work on their next film. Krajecki eagerly volunteered, even though his experience as a designer was best described as minimal. "I was like, 'I'll do it! I'll do anything!'" he recalls. His first creation was for Siamese twins who were prosthetically attached at the hip. After that anything seemed possible.

His next job had him crafting feathered headdresses for Vegas showgirls, but the idea of doing his own collection was too strong and he headed to NYC to pursue his passion. After struggling in the Big Apple -- "I don't know how anyone does it in NY with no money; you have to mingle at high society parties until some old lady says 'Love your clothes, dahlink! Let me give you money'" -- he ended up back in L.A. He got a job in a coffee joint, worked on his designs all night long and the next thing he knew, he was moving his business out of his bedroom and into an actual office because he was getting so many orders. Now he's located smack in the middle of Glendale Blvd.; not exactly Fifth Avenue, but since his neighbors are fellow designers Prototype and X-Large, he's right at home.

His recent collection, a cross between 80s high energy camp and style excess, may be so over the top it makes some people cringe. But that's okay, because Krajecki's legion of steadily growing fans turn to him for something many designers have forgotten lately -- a sense of humor. By mixing elements such as heavy metal icon worship, ill proportions, lost, runaway-looking models and prone-to-violence fashion shows, Grey Ant proves that Krajecki's one of America's most renegade fashion innovators.

Grey Ant is available at Steven Alan in NYC and Tokyo; Nyse and Ron Herman/Fred Segal in L.A.; Verde's Funk in S.F.; and Joyce in Hong Kong.

image provided by www.mercedesbenzfashionweek.com

I got that jacket, I :heart: it. I'm looking forward to seeing more of his stuff. Seems to be a true "starving artist" story :P

woah..lovely stuff...thanks for bring this to my attention wyatt :smile:

Sirens & Sailors was the first place I noticed their clothes online, but their site design isn't very shopper-friendly - the available colors/sizes of a particular items are not featured, which I assume to mean every order works as a special inquiry...

I Looove His Clothes

:heart: :heart: :heart: I Love Grey ant jeans ,THEY ARE AWESOME, I have two pair of his high waisted jeans..............I loved his summer collection and loved the more fuller collection he did for fall 2007...................:heart: :heart: :heart:

I first noticed Gret Ant when I was shopping for dresses on shopbop. This dress really took my breath away. I absolutely love the detail around the bust.

greya1002310192_347x683f.jpg

greya1002310192_347x683d.jpg

credit shopbop.com

disco what is the fit like in terms of waist to hip ratio. i have slightly thicker hips than waist (think eva longoria style bubble butt) you think it will work?

^ No, to be honest. Even if you're a rail, those pants give you crazy hips.

^^ Diorling your thinking high waisted taper pants..YEAH those will give you hips because of the taper leg coupled with high waist ....(and that type of high waisted and taper is meant for rails..lol)
i wear high waisted pants/jeans(in a wide leg so it helps accentuates your figure) im a size 4-6, slightly pears shaped and i look good and I have gotten lots compliments. Another thing my mom who is petite(5'2) use to wear high waist wide leg pants and skirts with heels and it elongated her figure so much...Its a silhouette which accentuates the female figure and was popular in the 40s,50s,70s,80s.......with a petite curvy figure...higher waisted pants would be great with a wider leg since it creates a long flattering sihlouette . I love high waists , I love curvy actresses from the 40s/50s and the whole late 70s haltson/disco. Which reminds me Jennifer Lopez wore grey ant jeans on Ellen this friday lol...I always had a feeling this label would take off at some point..

ok. no. i as not worried about appearing hippy---i think curved hips ar pretty. i wante to make sue i avoided the dreaded waist gap.

Does anyone know how the high waisted styles fit? There's a size 2 on ebay- I'm usually a 27 waist in jeans (depending on the brand) do you think they will fit? I have no hips so I don't think that will be an issue (unless they are made for women with hips...)

no .......you have to size up with those jeans , I would say a 6 would be your size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->