Gucci F/W 2024.25 : Alaato Jazyper, Jiahui Zhang & Loli Bahia by David Sims

Back then, dismissing Frida’s as Zara was just an insult for her lack of originality, when the truth was her quality was never Zara-level. As separates, Frida’s offerings were very solid: Nothing innovative of course, just commercial but still very high-end, even high fashion standards; I’ll take Lola’s word that Frida's pants were… utter pants. Frida just never had the masterclass storyteller vision of Tom to present a tightly edited collection on runway and for campaigns: She was always just following the mood of the moment, and unfortunately by her time, decadent glam was falling out of flavor.

Her campaigns brought that OTT glam and smoulder that unfortunately by the time, had become oversaturated, overdone and frankly, taken for granted because normcore and clownwear had begin infesting fashiondom. Whether her sort of aesthetic is your personal preference or not, it takes skills and experience to produce. That it was Mert & Marcus overchoppping the imagery of an already 5’11 and size 0 woman to unreal proportions was typical of that era in high fashion. But that was just it; high fashion imagery were meant to be unattainable-- where everything was so unreal, surreal with standards so high that it was bound to topple like the fashion equivalent of the Tower of Babel. And here is this 2024 Gucci, the epitome of the lowest standards of not giving a creative fcuk-- and every look, and every design has already been done by Zara LOL Even model agencies’ digitals back in Frida’s days would reject these shots of utterly unenthused faces, blatantly looking like they’d rather be anywhere else but sitting for one of the biggest brands in the world. This is the most entry-level product shoot that any junior photographer is qualified for.

Nowadays, I will gladly take Frida and Mert & Marcus’ standards anytime, anywhere, anyday. There’s no joy, no attitude, no story, no distinction, not a whiff of personality, and nothing covetable to this sad campaign. WIth these bluechip brands in 2024, corporate meddling has a lot to do with why they’re so pathetically generic. The marketing department these days are dominated with the most basic types— and the basics will only ever hire other basics (even with lead of recruitments’ recommendations of someone with a tad of creative ambition being override), so the result is a hivemind of basics implementing their demands with the bland branding— or more specifically, the pathetic marketing phenomenon that is blanding. The mandated headcount is the least of its issue.

^
I loveeed Frida's Gucci ad campaign. It was utterly glamourous for my taste. I never tired of seeing Natasha, Raquel, Anja, Freja, Karmen, and also Abey Lee fronts the campaign season after season. Even under Frida's helm, Gucci FW 2014 ad campaign, which I can call the simplest one, still gave me excitement.
Not like this blatantly basic ad campaign.
I miss the glamour at Gucci!!

To be fair to Frida, her brief for Gucci was probably to deliver a more commercial version of Ford's Gucci. Both tenures pull deliver the same 70s-derived jet-set opulence, but Frida stripped off the more controversial elements of Ford's Gucci such as the hypersexuality, the hedoism and moody, gothic undertones.

Back then, dismissing Frida’s as Zara was just an insult for her lack of originality, when the truth was her quality was never Zara-level. As separates, Frida’s offerings were very solid: Nothing innovative of course, just commercial but still very high-end, even high fashion standards; I’ll take Lola’s word that Frida's pants were… utter pants. Frida just never had the masterclass storyteller vision of Tom to present a tightly edited collection on runway and for campaigns: She was always just following the mood of the moment, and unfortunately by her time, decadent glam was falling out of flavor.

Her campaigns brought that OTT glam and smoulder that unfortunately by the time, had become oversaturated, overdone and frankly, taken for granted because normcore and clownwear had begin infesting fashiondom. Whether her sort of aesthetic is your personal preference or not, it takes skills and experience to produce. That it was Mert & Marcus overchoppping the imagery of an already 5’11 and size 0 woman to unreal proportions was typical of that era in high fashion. But that was just it; high fashion imagery were meant to be unattainable-- where everything was so unreal, surreal with standards so high that it was bound to topple like the fashion equivalent of the Tower of Babel. And here is this 2024 Gucci, the epitome of the lowest standards of not giving a creative fcuk-- and every look, and every design has already been done by Zara LOL Even model agencies’ digitals back in Frida’s days would reject these shots of utterly unenthused faces, blatantly looking like they’d rather be anywhere else but sitting for one of the biggest brands in the world. This is the most entry-level product shoot that any junior photographer is qualified for.

Nowadays, I will gladly take Frida and Mert & Marcus’ standards anytime, anywhere, anyday. There’s no joy, no attitude, no story, no distinction, not a whiff of personality, and nothing covetable to this sad campaign. WIth these bluechip brands in 2024, corporate meddling has a lot to do with why they’re so pathetically generic. The marketing department these days are dominated with the most basic types— and the basics will only ever hire other basics (even with lead of recruitments’ recommendations of someone with a tad of creative ambition being override), so the result is a hivemind of basics implementing their demands with the bland branding— or more specifically, the pathetic marketing phenomenon that is blanding. The mandated headcount is the least of its issue.
if i had to choose what work of Mert & Marcus to come back in some shape or form would be the work done for LV & Miu Miu not so much Firda´s Gucci (for that Tom´s Gucci is still the one to beat) campaigns ones because even then it was just cheesy because of Firda taste level ...for me Ancora is just Frida part 2 but even lower level on creative direction and banality ...that's all ...i know nostalgia is human so i just agree to disagree on how great she was at her time.

To be fair to Frida, her brief for Gucci was probably to deliver a more commercial version of Ford's Gucci. Both tenures pull deliver the same 70s-derived jet-set opulence, but Frida stripped off the more controversial elements of Ford's Gucci such as the hypersexuality, the hedoism and moody, gothic undertones.
She did commercial things because her taste was commercial nothing wrong with that .....but to much credit is given for lack of true creative point of view or taste level because the big old mean corporate side ...Frida did many projects and interviews you can perfectly sense how she thinks its not hidden.

Old Tom stores where beautiful but she changed them into these drug dealer gold palaces i don't see why this was more commercial direction from above suits etc etc . per example.

Her home had same style ...just compare her gucci book with Tom ford book you can see one has eyes for every detail and layout and picture selection and the other looks like a Taschen book for 19,95.

Hedi is supper commercial and yet he finds ways to elevate his basic style obsessions over and over.

To be fair means also to acknowledge, she was not a iconic designer for a lack of better words ..... but also not the worst.

Speaking the body language of "I'm insecure and need to hide behind my bag".

The print layout is terrible. Just keep it simple; one girl on each page with the logo centered on the right.

Sabato’s clothes are just dull.
Getting David Sims who makes everything looks like a contrived and cheesy shoot for Elle magazine, is another mistake. Alistair Mckimm - no words to describe the mediocrity of that mind.
What else can you expect?!?

To say Gucci's campaign imagery under Sabato De Sarno has become depressing would be an understatement. I'm genuinely baffled at how someone could approve this campaign for publishing. So horrifically glamour-less, sterile, and banal beyond belief. The nonexistent beauty styling only adds insult to injury.

^
I loveeed Frida's Gucci ad campaign. It was utterly glamourous for my taste. I never tired of seeing Natasha, Raquel, Anja, Freja, Karmen, and also Abey Lee fronts the campaign season after season. Even under Frida's helm, Gucci FW 2014 ad campaign, which I can call the simplest one, still gave me excitement.
Not like this blatantly basic ad campaign.
I miss the glamour at Gucci!!
The irony…
FW2014 is my favorite collection from her (maybe because it echoed the FW1995, which I was never a fan of in the first place) but it’s my least favorite campaign…
I think the Gucci campaigns under Frida became pedestrian when Edward Enninful replaced Camilla Nickerson.
I loved the MAS era of Gucci, the Emmanuelle era was fine (even though the collections were what they were) but Camilla elevated the whole thing.

SS2013 was a fabulous campaign. So simple but stricking in terms of composition for example.

The irony…
FW2014 is my favorite collection from her (maybe because it echoed the FW1995, which I was never a fan of in the first place) but it’s my least favorite campaign…
I think the Gucci campaigns under Frida became pedestrian when Edward Enninful replaced Camilla Nickerson.
I loved the MAS era of Gucci, the Emmanuelle era was fine (even though the collections were what they were) but Camilla elevated the whole thing.

SS2013 was a fabulous campaign. So simple but stricking in terms of composition for example.
Oh Lola, I love reading your posts and I always learn new stuff.

I am curious to know, if you could kindly inform the seasons for each stylist who styled the campaign under Frida? It will be highly appreciated!

Oh Lola, I love reading your posts and I always learn new stuff.

I am curious to know, if you could kindly inform the seasons for each stylist who styled the campaign under Frida? It will be highly appreciated!
Thank you
I may be wrong but if I remember well, under Frida, MAS, Emmanuelle Alt, Camilla Nickerson and Alistair Mackie did the campaigns. I know Templer styled a show but I don’t think he ever did a campaign..
It’s hard to keep up with the seasons because of the pre-collections/special projects/accessories campaigns.

- MAS styled from 2006 to 2007, the campaigns by Craig McDean.
- Emmanuelle styled the campaigns by I&V + M&M from 2008 to 2010. That being said, she started in 2007 because she styled the David Lynch lensed Fragrance ad and the resort 2008 was done in 2007.
- Camilla did the Mert and Marcus campaigns after Emmanuelle from 2011 to 2013. I think SS2013 was her last campaign.
- Edward did the M&M campaigns from prefall 2013 to FW 2014.
- Alistair did the M&M from resort 2015 to SS2015.

If anyone got more infos, feel free to add or correct me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexandroperez
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->