Gwyneth Paltrow to Play Marlene Dietrich

Foxie-Pooh said:
I believe Uma is more Marlene; there was even an article comparing her look to Marlene.
I think Uma would play Marlene much better than Paltrow could, like scott said Gwyneth is a good actress, but too passive to play the role of Deitrich.

:heart: Deitrich

Gwyneth as Marlene? That sounds like a really bad idea to me...

Even in the Talented Mr Ripley where Cate played a supporting role, she took the attention of gwyneth when she was on screen.

tiffany said:
^ that is a great suggestion, Tilda has such ... character, she could definitely pull off Marlene :flower: Cate would also be a much better choice than Gwyneth (who is lovely, but I don't think she could portray Marlene convincingly)

Exactly. She's got such a stature about her that resembles Marlene and her style is very reminiscent. I think for one to capture the essence of Dietrich it must be somebody who can fit the mold. Tilda I believe is the whole package.

this is what i think: i don't think that a cate blanchett, uma thurman, and definitely not tilda swinton have enough star power to make a movie like this at all profitable. gwyneth's the type of girl who can carry a movie like this on its own to box office success (reference sylvia, possession). i think angelina has that same type of star power but is not interested in doing a part like this.

with that said, i do think it's a little bit of odd casting, but no more than kevin spacey as bobby darrin.

Let's look on the bright side... at least they waited until she died to begin destroying her legacy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:....... :ninja:

Cate and Uma both sound like great options. Cate has that very old Hollywood dramatic glamour and Uma has those gorgeously striking features.

I think Cate would be perfect. Gwyneth is a good actress, I'll say that, but she is blandness.

mikeijames said:
this is what i think: i don't think that a cate blanchett, uma thurman, and definitely not tilda swinton have enough star power to make a movie like this at all profitable. gwyneth's the type of girl who can carry a movie like this on its own to box office success (reference sylvia, possession). i think angelina has that same type of star power but is not interested in doing a part like this.

with that said, i do think it's a little bit of odd casting, but no more than kevin spacey as bobby darrin.
When is the last time Gwyneth actually had a successful film? She has done bomb after bomb. She is one of the most talentless and boring actresses there is and a perfect example of how connections can work for someone. Uma had huge success with Kill Bill and is a big star and Cate Blanchett, while she may not have the name recognition of Paltrow, is ten times the actress. The Oscar should have gone to her for Elizabeth-she was robbed imo. I am not too familiar wit Tilda but she has to be better than Gwynnie. :innocent:

Hasn't gwyneth been crying time off for the past 2 years now? She's been saying how she's going to stop doing movies and take a break and just spend time with her family ever since 2002. It's like 'I want to take a break from movies for a while but only after I finish several movies first...."

stylegurrl said:
When is the last time Gwyneth actually had a successful film? She has done bomb after bomb. She is one of the most talentless and boring actresses there is and a perfect example of how connections can work for someone. Uma had huge success with Kill Bill and is a big star and Cate Blanchett, while she may not have the name recognition of Paltrow, is ten times the actress. The Oscar should have gone to her for Elizabeth-she was robbed imo. I am not too familiar wit Tilda but she has to be better than Gwynnie. :innocent:

Cate Blanchett is 100 times better than Gwyneth...and 100 times better than that other Aussie,if you ask me :innocent: When she did Elizabeth....then Ripely you could definitely see what kind of actress she was. The transitional type....one not too predictable and nontheless compelling.

Tilda Swinton,if you want to see her check out "Orlando" and "Female Perversions". She was also in "Vanilla Sky".

Thanks for the info Scott. I own Vanilla Sky. Now I'll have to rewatch it and pay special attention to Tilda.

stylegurrl said:
we need to separate the idea of talent and star power because we all know that it's star power that brings people to the theatre and not necessarily talent (remember: vin diesel commands twenty million a flick not because he was trained at yale's drama school)...i agree with you about cate blanchett. i don't think she is more or less talented however, i think that she has proven herself over and over again....she is extremely talented and i think in league with paltrow. paltrow has proven her box office success with crowd pleasers like bounce and emma and great expectations and the game. but she's also taken on difficult parts in the films i mentioned before. there's a quiet intensity about paltrow that i find lacking in blanchett. but no one can erase herself like blanchett did in elizabeth.

i'm sure the studio heads that gave the greenlight to this project wanted a big name on the level of paltrow in order to go forward with this project at all.

yes, paltrow has had a poor run lately, but she's also lost her father and had a child...i'd much rather see an actress like paltrow attempt this role than a julia roberts or an nicole kidman which are the only others i can really think of that demand the same attention she does.

mikeijames said:
we need to separate the idea of talent and star power because we all know that it's star power that brings people to the theatre and not necessarily talent (remember: vin diesel commands twenty million a flick not because he was trained at yale's drama school)...i agree with you about cate blanchett. i don't think she is more or less talented however, i think that she has proven herself over and over again....she is extremely talented and i think in league with paltrow. paltrow has proven her box office success with crowd pleasers like bounce and emma and great expectations and the game. but she's also taken on difficult parts in the films i mentioned before. there's a quiet intensity about paltrow that i find lacking in blanchett. but no one can erase herself like blanchett did in elizabeth.

i'm sure the studio heads that gave the greenlight to this project wanted a big name on the level of paltrow in order to go forward with this project at all.

yes, paltrow has had a poor run lately, but she's also lost her father and had a child...i'd much rather see an actress like paltrow attempt this role than a julia roberts or an nicole kidman which are the only others i can really think of that demand the same attention she does.
Unfortunately, just as in the fashion industry, Hollywood tends to put hype/name over true talent. I can't speak for others, but what attracts me to a film is the subject matter. If the lead is an newcomer I don't mind. I am willing to give them a chance. I have been very impressed by (relative) newcomers recently and know that there are some really gifted actors out there. It's very unfortunate that "big names" are given precedent other others who could possibly/probably do a better job. :(

Losing her dad and having a child are not plausible excuses for poor work in Gwyneth's case. She could very easily have taken time off. People would have understood.

stylegurrl said:
Losing her dad and having a child are not plausible excuses for poor work in Gwyneth's case. She could very easily have taken time off. People would have understood.
for one thing, she did take time off. for a second thing, i want to know what this string of bad movies is that you talk about. the only bad movie she's made in the past couple of years was "view from the top" which she admits she did simply because she wanted to explore that side of her acting and which she further admits was not quite successful. sylvia had rave critical reviews and sky captain did exactly what it was supposed to do: have a strong opening weekend and make back the cost of the film...which it did. i don't know what actress you can point to that hasn't had some flops in her history. but i think that paltrow has chosen her roles carefully and has proven herself over and over again.

i admit to being a platrow fan and i also admit that i am one of the people they target since her very name will get me to buy a ticket...is everyone else saying that another actress mentioned would attract the same crowd? i mean as much as i love cate blanchett, she can't deliver a blockbuster...anyone remember veronica guerin or the missing? both showed very pale results at the box office. cate's made in the shade because she will always have LOTR money.

Bad casting.

I can definetly see Cate Blanchett. She would be my number 1 choice. I would love to see Uma Thurman in the role (a welcome break from action flicks), but not sure she has the range. Hence, the number 2 spot. Number 3 would be Nicole Kidman. While we all know she can play the part well, I'd like someone quite unknown compared to her (hence the first two). Plus her face isn't as close to Dietrich than the first two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realise Paltrow was an actress by profession. I was wondering for a while what she did for a living.

mikeijames said:
for one thing, she did take time off. for a second thing, i want to know what this string of bad movies is that you talk about. the only bad movie she's made in the past couple of years was "view from the top" which she admits she did simply because she wanted to explore that side of her acting and which she further admits was not quite successful. 1. sylvia had rave critical reviews and sky captain did exactly what it was supposed to do: have a strong opening weekend and make back the cost of the film...which it did. i don't know what actress you can point to that hasn't had some flops in her history. but i think that paltrow has chosen her roles carefully and has proven herself over and over again.

2. i admit to being a platrow fan and i also admit that i am one of the people they target since her very name will get me to buy a ticket...is everyone else saying that another actress mentioned would attract the same crowd? i mean as much as i love cate blanchett, she can't deliver a blockbuster...anyone remember veronica guerin or the missing? both showed very pale results at the box office. cate's made in the shade because she will always have LOTR money.
1. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1126413-sylvia/

2. I don't think it's that black and white, mike. First of all, with the release of The Aviator (which is the no. 2 movie in America today and a critical success plus her Golden Globe nomination, which she'll eventually bag on her way to an Oscar victory, trust me) she'll be more known. Second, it's just more than the actor or actress that makes a movie a blockbuster i.e. WHO DIRECTS, FINANCIAL BACKING, PUSHES FROM THE TOP HONCHOS LIKE MIRAMAX, PRESS, AWARDS, etc. Take a look at Gigli. You had two leads who can deliver a blockbuster... but did it become one? :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
ignitioned32 said:
1. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1126413-sylvia/

2. I don't think it's that black and white, mike. First of all, with the release of The Aviator (which is the no. 2 movie in America today and a critical success plus her Golden Globe nomination, which she'll eventually bag on her way to an Oscar victory, trust me) she'll be more known. Second, it's just more than the actor or actress that makes a movie a blockbuster i.e. WHO DIRECTS, FINANCIAL BACKING, PUSHES FROM THE TOP HONCHOS LIKE MIRAMAX, PRESS, AWARDS, etc. Take a look at Gigli. You had two leads who can deliver a blockbuster... but did it become one? :wink:
all i have to say is that i'm a big fan of cate blanchett...i think that cate blanchett stole much of gwyneth's thunder in 'the talented mr. ripley' but since 'elizabeth' i can't really think of anything i've gone to the theatre based on cate blanchett alone. yes, the aviator will raise her cachet a bit but not to the level of paltrow who like kidman and roberts and zellweger and others who on their name alone can drive a movie to box office success.

and aviator would be nothing if dicaprio and scorcese weren't involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Calvin Stark
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->