help me, i'm afraid to accessorize

jenmkat

Reaction score
What the secret to accessorizing? I try but always feel I don't quite "get it" and that my accessories either don't go or are too obvious, if that makes any sense. I end up taking them off throughout the day.

How do you work accessories into your wardrobe successfully?

Do you feel like you have to? I love buying accesories but I stopped because I was always either too lazy to find them or just plain forgot. So now I usually don't bother. It's just part of my look. Some people like to do it with every outfit, some just cant or dont want to.

So to keep it simple I wear a tiny pair of silver hoop earrings and a small religious pendant that was given to me many years ago. I never take them off. That way I dont have to remember to put anything on.

If you want to start though, I would say stick to the same theme, silver with silver, wood with wood, gold with gold, and until you get a feel for what you really like, then mix it up from there.

yes- and MANY people over accesorize i would say...
especially young girls who are just discovering fashion and think that more is better....

it's not always..
keep it simple in the beginning...
and don't overdo...

how about scarves?...
those are easy and very big right now...

or just a long gold chain link necklace...
this would go with pretty much everything and you could hardly go wrong if you get a nice one that isn't too chunky or cheap looking...

what is your age, location and lifestyle...
so we know what would be good for you....

:flower:

I remember learning how to find the right balance as I was growing up. It just kind of became inherent somehow. But if you feel like it's too obvious, it's probably not working. A lot of times it's better to go plain.

Paying close attention to your top's neckline when choosing a necklace is probably the most important thing. Otherwise it's up to your own personal style of how much you want to wear. I don't like wearing bracelets at all, but I've seen some other women rocking them really well.

It's really the best thing ever having jewelry that means a lot to you. And it's fine to stick within your own comfort zone. Don't feel you have to buy something just to be stylish. Save yourself until something seriously striking comes along. Those few things will stick around for a long time.

For me, there is a certain practicality to accessories, and it had better be fun - it's raining and I have an odd umbrella and rubber boots - it's hot as hell so I have a straw hat and a chiffon scarf - I want some chap to notice my cute earlobe so I wear a diamond stud with a flower in my hair. I'm going to be in line for a while so I have a beautifully bound book that I really enjoy reading. There's no rule of thumb. It depends on what I'm doing and how getting there (and back).

However, I do have a few guidelines for myself. One quirky item will suffice. I never wear anything that will make me feel unsafe. Unseen accessories can be most empowering (I love Cosa Bella! :lol:). Handmade things are tops on my list of precious accessories, especially when it's from a close friend. I need something to put the accessory in if I don't want to wear it for a while.

I just tend to wear one thing at a time. Necklaces usually. Or a belt if I am wearing a dress. I don't like to have too much going on.

how about scarves?...
those are easy and very big right now...

what is your age, location and lifestyle...
so we know what would be good for you....

I'd love to do scarves, but don't know how i'd do them...in my hair? around my neck?

I'm 27, mom of a toddler, work in a "business casual" environment.

I'd like to wear understated accessories, something that doesn't jump out and say "I'M AN ACCESSORY!! LOOKIT MEEEE!". For example, I just got a chocolate brown shirtdress that already has a belt built on it. It's beautiful, but a little plain.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think for me... accessories are the way to pull together a look, to finish it off
so you only need a bit
if you're wearing some drab or dark clothes, just adding a thin silver necklace, something shiny across the neck or body will really enhance it
and a shiny bead necklace for the wrist... (or watch)

it's kind of a mixing of textures for me...
if you wear something drab, add something shiny
if you wear a lot of warm colours, add punch by adding something cold (ie. wear blue to balance off a lot of brown or a torquoise to balance off green)
if you wear natural colours like tans and beige, add some colour like a bit of red in the shoes or a violet purse...
if you have a hard leather bag, you could balance it by wrapping the handle with a very soft sheer coloured scarf...

also hats can complete a look

You could wear scarves around your neck, really thin pretty ones if it's kinda warm or thicker ones if it's cold.. You could also tie one onto your handbag.

Congratulations on your dress! I have a feeling you could accessorize with some bracelets for that dress! What color is the belt on it? You could wear a chunky bracelet or several thin ones a similar type or color as the belt that is built on your dress. And if you wear some pretty shoes with heels or some cute design on them and carry a nice bag as well the whole outfit will be great! Perhaps a shirtdress is plain on its own but you can dress it up - that's the fun of accessories :flower:

Experiment by trying things & looking in a full length mirror
I completely agree with pavement about the neckline as being the most important thing:flower:
As for myself
I dress very simply with minimal accessories (jewelry is always silver & handcrafted) but I splurge on shoes...a good utility bag...I've been carrying the Stella McCartney Adidas Bag since October 2006 & expensive underwear
happy.gif

I started by determining with metal tone complimented my skin the best. I usually don't go really crazy with bold accessories that have stand out patterns in them. That way the items always match me and don't conflict with the clothing either. If I've got a little more time to spend in the mirror, I'll add in something more striking. Usually I have on some small white gold diamond hoops and a silver circle necklace.

Well, personally I'd say, spent some time in the accessorie department at a shop, while wearing something that is really the epitome of your style and your daily look, stand in front of a mirror and try as many accessories as you like.

Have a look at a few magazines. I believe you can figure out what will go with you and what not. And don't let people tell you that you shouldn't do something at all costs. You might never know what you might fancy and then actually be the bomb on you!

I wont contribute here because I have the worst accesorizing eye. I throw everything I own on me :lol:

It depends on my mood and of course the neckline of the top/blouse/coat.
Sometimes I pile it on (like alejandro, :lol: :flower: ), other times, I go minimalist and wear nothing at all.

Something that sticks out to me is when I see girls wearing a bunch of jewelry just because it's the same color, or a matching set.

Remember the gold and silver craze last summer (I think). Those woven gold or silver belts were on everyone. So naturally, they'd have the gold woven belt, gold gladiator sandals, gold bangles, gold ring, gold earrings, gold necklace, and maybe even a gold scarf. It was baddddd. I hated that..glad it's died down a bit.

SomethingElse, funny that you mentioned the book. my accessory yesterday was the Vogue Sept. 06 mag, I was running errands :flower:

For example, I just got a chocolate brown shirtdress that already has a belt built on it. It's beautiful, but a little plain.

Try switching out the belt of the dress for one in a darker or lighter brown, or for a long, thin scarf with a pattern. Depends on the dress, but this could make a big difference in the plainness of the outfit. This also works really well with coats.

i have a lot of trouble accessorizing as well, but you know what, i learned that you don't always have to get out of the house wearing earrings, and a necklace, and rings, etc...

nowadays i keep it simple. i wear lots of scarves, and when i do, why throw something else?

i also love big earrings, so for me that's more than enough. yeah i think my favourite way of accessorizing is just..giving attention to the earrings. the rest is the rest imo

thanks for all the responses!

i went a little nuts at an "additional 50% off sale price" sale at a jewelry sale. see, I'm about to start a job that requires 'business casual', and i'm currently a work-at-home mom dealing with antique books, so it's not necessary for me to have a lot of accessories. i wear glasses so it seems like a lot when i wear jewelry (earrings and a necklace), so i've been wearing either a necklace OR earrings, but not both. I'm more apt to wear the necklace because i don't like to feel my neck is too exposed.

i've been experimenting. i found that i was a little afraid of gold jewelry. it made me feel a little too old-lady, so i found some great antiqued bronze chandelier earrings with garnet insets, which look great with the chocolate brown shirtdress. I also found some silver bangles and some turquoise enamel bangles that could go with it as well. i ended up buying lots of different peices, nothing too matchy.

I'd like to get belts to wear over my dresses, coats, and tunics, but they all seem too much right now. i'll start with a little at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mooncholly
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->