Human Rights Diamonds

my rule of thumb is, if you're dumb enough to ask if we sell blood diamonds, you're dumb enough to be ripped off.

hmm...i dont know if thats fair dior...
you cant blame people for being concerned..
and doing the best they can with the info they have...

better than not asking at all...

Trista said:
I did a project on the blood diamonds for my Contemporary Problems class-and some of the people in class wrote it off as not being a HUGE deal. The issue is why I will, when engaged, request that the ring have either a) only conflict-free diamonds, or b) not have ANY diamonds at all.
That is very responsible of you. :flower:

I dont particularly care for diamonds for myself so I have no problems when/if I chose to be hitched.

AdoreFaith, I understand where they're coming from, but from my point of view it's all really hype. Yes, I understand you're concerned that we carry blood diamonds, but, we're a multi-billion dollar company...You really needn't worry, we're doing our best to ensure we don't get shutdown.

Missakura, I never saw the appeal either until I saw a 5ct FL clarity G color white diamond...My heart skipped a beat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would NEVER just trust any company, but I really seriously hate when people think that they are all "up on the issues" because they saw ONE movie. It's nice that movies raise awareness about issues yada yada, but come on, why can't people make the effort to learn about issues from qualified people and legitimate sources of information, instead of spending 2 hours watching Leonardo DiCaprio sweat and run around Africa, and then extending their newfound "consumer conciousness" all the way to asking some random sales associate whether or not the company he works for and makes commission off of carries "blood diamonds." :huh: What the heck is he going to say: "Uh yes, I'm sorry we do carry conflict diamonds, is that a problem for you?"

Disclaimer: My random sales associate isn't Diorling. :lol:

Yeah...I'm a girly girl...I like diamonds. :P (And much more affordable Swarovski crystal, though cut like crystal, not diamonds. So pretty.)

The boyfriend and I have discussed the recently perfected lab made diamonds as an alternative to a mined one for both ethical and cost reasons, I'm not sure what he's gonna buy me though because he wants it to be a surprise. Surprises are good and all but this is one purchase I would reeeeeeeally like to participate in. Oh well. I've dropped plenty of hints and a female friend of ours who is a jewellery expert insists she is going along with him. Heehee.

Anyway, I got off topic. An interesting article about lab created diamonds, though from a little while ago. I wonder if they are more widely available by now:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/SavingandDebt/P97816.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive heard about those lab made diamonds, they're very appealing. The industry really hasnt addressed that situation, I dont know why, but they're a threat.

Vintage is an option surely. Just make sure it's not British, we have issues with gems and killing other people to get them. (Queen Liz has a whole boxful of blood diamonds up in the Tower.)

I don't know about suppliers through the rest of the world, but suppliers in the UK (certainly large reputable chains) mostly adhere to something called the Kimberly Process, which enables buyers to track the 'path' of the diamonds that come from conflict regions. Feel free to ask about it, most companies will happily explain their policy. It's not a solution, but it's a way of getting an idea of where they have come from. It's still an important part of the economy but it's worth getting more information before you buy.

Meg said:
I agree it is very important to buy diamonds that haven't come from slave labor mines in Africa or Madagascar (do they use slave labour there?)
I concur :flower:

American Apparel should go into fine jewelry, maybe?

i've heard that Lily Cole was chosen to advertise "No Blood Diamons" campaign

Bel said:
American Apparel should go into fine jewelry, maybe?

:lol:

I'd love to see Lily in the campaign. Makes sense since she refused to work for DeBeers anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->