Industrial Design

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
I thought we needed a thread about this...
post all design objects here that don't fall into the home/interior or fashion categories...
i'll start...from wwd...

Bicycle by Antoine Fritsch.

The “Palmes FLP 500” flipper designed by Jean-Marc Seynhaeve for Décathlon.

A windsurf slipper by Faltazi.

Prototype of a fencing mask for Prieur Sports. :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
great thread softie. That bike looks so cool! hehe I haven't said that in a long time but it really does.

That windsurfing shoe however....it grosses me out for some reason. Just looking at it weirds me out. I think it's because it looks like your feet would be covered in tentacles. :shudders:

The bike is :heart: the shape is just so... cool!
:lol: I find the shoes to be fascinating but rather scary... octopus suction caps!!! They look like they would have extremely good grip.

The Rolling Bridge by Thomas Heatherwick Studio.

Facett cahir by Bouroullec

“Design that can change shapes gives the impression that we can interact with the objects that surround us,” said Gessner. “It’s an important aspect of design today because it frees the user’s creativity.”

fr wwd...excerpt... :flower:

wednesdaylighta.jpeg

tord boontje ...lamp
patchedchairfronc.jpeg

Patchedt Chair
silk organza, chiffon, cotton, beading, embroidery.

Wonderful, Softgrey! I LOVE Industrial design! I'll post pics soon. :D

he is one of my favorite designers...
blackchairdetailc.jpeg

midsummerlightvaa.jpeg

The lampshade is made of 2 layers of cut Tyvek. This is a very strong synthetic paper and has a Mylar cone inside that keeps it away from the light bulb.

the light comes in a flat packaging and has a finished size of diameter 50 x 70 cm.

I love this lamp....there has been a trend for the past couple years of a return to nature and ornament..and iconography is product design..I believe he was one of the first and the best. Check out he other stuff @ his website..

http://www.tordboontje.com

He also is driven by the manufacturing process to create his designs and motifs

http://www.droogdesign.nl/

rag chair
rags and steel strips. Reuse of clothing makes each chair unique

coated existing furniture in PVC

t-shirts of the united states are being marked up insstead of down..the reasons for the different price changes are mentioned on the shirt and will be decisive in the choice

whoops..the previously mentioned Rag Chair...this is how I was introduced to their designs was through the reuse of existing materials brought together to create a one of a kind functional product thats aesthetics were determined by this process.

We had a guy come do a lecture for us.. he was a bike helmet designer... some of his stuff was crazy.. he also showed us chairs that he made out of steel.. and a house he desings... very cool stuff. I wish I could remember his name.. that way I could at least find pictures of his stuff. :(

softgrey said:
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5367

some of this is crossing over into interior design...adn we have a great thread for that here...

let's keeep this thread for things that don't fit into intererior design...

thanks...!! :flower:

great stuff guys...

I disagree..all the pics posted falls under industrial design. Everything is a product..most you can buy through the website(s). I think it could possibly fit under interior design..but it would be in a different context in that the manufactoring processes and concepts of the particular product would have no longer be as relevent.. I posted these products because of how they represent the current trends in industrial design..recycling materials-sustainability and custom furniture similar to "art" pieces. I think you can make comparisons to what is going on in fashion..in both are moving away from minimalistic style into a pieces that are more ornate and cannot be copied...also the concern over a particular pieces "life"...how will it be made..how will it be shipped..put together by the owner..used and discarded..

strawbutterb said:
I disagree..all the pics posted falls under industrial design. Everything is a product..most you can buy through the website(s). I think it could possibly fit under interior design..but it would be in a different context in that the manufactoring processes and concepts of the particular product would have no longer be as relevent.. I posted these products because of how they represent the current trends in industrial design..recycling materials-sustainability and custom furniture similar to "art" pieces. I think you can make comparisons to what is going on in fashion..in both are moving away from minimalistic style into a pieces that are more ornate and cannot be copied...also the concern over a particular pieces "life"...how will it be made..how will it be shipped..put together by the owner..used and discarded..

I understand what you are saying, but it is interior design after all. These are furniture/furnishings = interior design. Yes, they are made with different technologies, but they are definitely not trends, they are anomolies. They generate buzz, yes, but they are impossible to produce in numbers. Droog Design stuff is the prime example - that firm exists solely on government grants, they have not brought substential revenue to support themselves.

faust said:
I understand what you are saying, but it is interior design after all. These are furniture/furnishings = interior design. Yes, they are made with different technologies, but they are definitely not trends, they are anomolies. They generate buzz, yes, but they are impossible to produce in numbers. Droog Design stuff is the prime example - that firm exists solely on government grants, they have not brought substential revenue to support themselves.

interior design

n 1: the trade of planning the layout and furnishings of an architectural interior [syn: interior decoration] 2: the branch of architecture dealing with the selection and organization of furnishings for an architectural interior

I studied industrial design..I know what it is. You could say products are used in interior design..but it is definately not the same thing. The products do represent greater trends...I do agree boontje and droog design are not IKEA..but that is irrevelent.. When I was speaking about custom design...that is a trend-look at IKEA and their tables that you can customize with different color legs.. and so is different ways to examine sustainablity. By reusing materials usually discarded such as clothing and felt is something completely feasible and is smart design. Sustainability isn't really a trend at all..but it is something every product design firm is looking into. Even if these pieces are artistic...they are still relevent to speak about and are certainly industrial design.

well sure strawbutterb...furniture design falls under industrial design...
and could certainly go in either thread...i'm just saying ...since we already started putting it in interior design...for the sake of consistency and to make it easier if one wanted to look things up...it's just better to have it organized that way

there no question that it is also industrial design...
but not all industrial design is furniture...
sports equipment...for example...

Meg said:
great thread softie. That bike looks so cool! hehe I haven't said that in a long time but it really does.

That windsurfing shoe however....it grosses me out for some reason. Just looking at it weirds me out. I think it's because it looks like your feet would be covered in tentacles. :shudders:

Me too! It looks like if you put that shoe on the design will spread to your body....

softgrey said:
well sure strawbutterb...furniture design falls under industrial design...
and could certainly go in either thread...i'm just saying ...since we already started putting it in interior design...for the sake of consistency and to make it easier if one wanted to look things up...it's just better to have it organized that way

there no question that it is also industrial design...
but not all industrial design is furniture...
sports equipment...for example...

I understand your point..but if you put this stuff under Industrial Design you are able to create a discussion about what is going on in industrial design and as the aspects of it:manufactoring processes, technology etc..

It isn't just aesthetics...I would say that would be more interior design..pieces that are solely used as end products..

Yes, I do agree there should be more photos of other types of industrial design aside from furniture..and i will post them.

strawbutterb said:
interior design

n 1: the trade of planning the layout and furnishings of an architectural interior [syn: interior decoration] 2: the branch of architecture dealing with the selection and organization of furnishings for an architectural interior

I studied industrial design..I know what it is. You could say products are used in interior design..but it is definately not the same thing. The products do represent greater trends...I do agree boontje and droog design are not IKEA..but that is irrevelent.. When I was speaking about custom design...that is a trend-look at IKEA and their tables that you can customize with different color legs.. and so is different ways to examine sustainablity. By reusing materials usually discarded such as clothing and felt is something completely feasible and is smart design. Sustainability isn't really a trend at all..but it is something every product design firm is looking into. Even if these pieces are artistic...they are still relevent to speak about and are certainly industrial design.

Thanks for that amazing dictionary entry. You really enlightened me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->