Is going to the gym a subsitute for outdoor sports?

yoda

Reaction score
My opinion is that going to the gym is more of a tool to boost athletic performance but not a real substitute. I am interested what you guys think!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not to sure about the question, but if you're talking about general fitness or weight loss or maintenance or whatever, any form of exercise whether it be in the gym or outdoors is going to use up energy. The effectiveness of outdoor sports can depend on whether you're in a team sport or an individual sport i guess. e.g. cricket- two batsmen while the rest of the team sit on the bench; the other team on the field...standing around? haha. But with sports you learn build specific skills and perhaps even use your brain more! :P
If you're in the gym, i guess it's more time intensive which is a good thing. You talked about boosting performance which is true. Athletes all work out in the gym to strengthen themselves, build power etc. e.g. tennis players spend a lot of time off the court as well
Ultimately, it's what you're aiming for i guess. If you're looking to boost athletic performance, then yes the gym is a tool that will assist in your sporting activities.

Nothing beats exercising out doors within nature. The environment is better and the air is cleaner.

i am more inspired to work-out in a gym than outdoors.... outdoors i get tired so much faster! and in my case.. its less effective.. i think...

Contact with nature is very important whether you are doing sports out there or not.

Not so much. Hitting the weights at a near obsessive rate is the only way for me to maintain and/or increase my weight. The moment I stop working out and start doing more cardio-laden things such as outdoor sports and/or pure cardio, I start losing my weight (and because I don't have much insofar as fat goes, I start losing muscle). Thus... without weights, I would be just another asian twig boy.

But then again, it really depends what you're going for. Gain in muscle mass? or endurance and healthy weight loss?

- Cheers

I need machines. Outdoors is just too distracting for me. I end up heading to all the boutiques and go shopping instead of concentrating with working out. [I live in the city]

I like to work out during the evenings and it gets too cold and dark to work out outside. I love the machines and classes that they offer the gym too. Seeing everyone working out around me also gives me motivation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->