Jan Saudek - Photographer

Multitudes

Of a bastard line.
Reaction score
I thought it was time to start a thread on one of the most celebrated Czech photographers and, for me, undoubtable one of the most interesting contemporary photographers still producing work :heart: ...

He is not a fashion photographer, but I think his work raises a lot of questions, especially in relation the body and the body image, which is important in the context of fashion, so here we go ...

JAN SAUDEK
Czech photographer

1935: born in Prague 13.5.1935

1950: he gets his first camera KODAK BABY Brownie – first photographic Attempts

1952: apprenticed to a photographer, he worked as a printing shop worker until 1983

1959: he uses „real“ camera Flexaret 6x6, he is also drawing and painting

1963: for ever influenced by the catalogue of the magnificent photographic exhibition „Family of Man“ (Edward Steichen)
1972: he finds his typical WALL composition, which became a sort of projection screen for his figural scenes.

1981: appears his first monograph „Il teatro de la vita“ in Milano

1983: free-lance photographer – he devotes himself fully to his own work

1990: bearer of the French title „Le Chevalier des Arts and Letters“ (Knight of Art and Literature), as the first Czech at all
French film director Jerome de Missolz makes a film about him „Jan Saudek – Czech photographer“

2005: appears his 14., biggest, monograph „SAUDEK“ (published by Slovart, Praha), accompanied by wide retrospective Exhibition in Prague

Jan Saudek is nowadays the most renowned Czech photographer in the world. He has had over 400 one-man shows held at. His photographs are included in the most important world collections.
themuchagallery.cz

Jan Saudek is distinctive and original, his work is not part of any genre or movement. He cannot be compared to anyone and there is no way to classify him. His controversial work daringly plunges into human emotions, drives, passions, consciousness as well as the subconscious, has the integrity of great artists, including style, view point, and expression.

His photographs moves from emotionally strong celebrations of the family - the apotheosis of womanhood, manhood, motherhood, fatherhood, childhood, and the lover. Saudek was fascinated by the metamorphosis of adolescence, attracted by the questions of birth and death, and the dimensions of love and human decency. In his photographs, ecstatic emotions were blended with pathos and subtle humor. He was creating the symbols of family, which are inseparable.

To a duality of emotions entered his pictures - the relationship between love and hate, sincerity and falsehood, beauty and ugliness, youth and old age. These antithetic elements created dramatic tension and at the same time, were mutually attracting and built up new meanings. Irony or even cynicism permeated the relationship between woman and man. True, even by aggressiveness and - fatality. It was a game, a fight to take control over the other one. These were stories of love and ruin, sometimes even tragic. During that period, the eroticism of his photographs was gaining intensity.

He delves into carnality, aggressive animalism to perversity, and even to a certain extent, masochism. However, Saudek's obsession with the body-any body, including a very old, fat and misshapen one - is not guided by the fashionable aesthetics of loathsomeness. On the contrary, it is filled with a hedonism that are even joyful and erotic. The tension between the violence, atrocity, sexuality and creativity of the images gives perhaps shocking, yet emotionally very impressive conclusions to Saudek's pictures. He portrayes the part of humans in their fatal contradiction of being.

The whole of Saudek's work is very intimate and he is quite easily vulnerable to it himself. He is constantly taking chances that the viewer starts laughing or becomes angry - be it due to embarrassment, stuffiness or misunderstanding. But whether his photographs deal with most tender emotions or the questionable sides of human being, as a whole, they are a massive celebration of humanness. And it is this very original, provocative adoration of manhood - to which anything human is not strange - that makes Jan Saudek a unique character in contemporary photography.

His Early work ...

My Very First Photograph, 1953
53-01.jpg

Hey, Joe!, 1959
59-01.jpg

Dawn No. 1, 1959
59-02.jpg

The Bond of Love No. 1, 1960
60-01.jpg

saudek.com

:bounce: :heart: yesyes.

[multi, i just discovered you too use invisible mode :o ]

Last edited by a moderator:
Continued ...

Zdena, 1962
62-01.jpg

First Steps, 1963
63-01.jpg

The Shelter, 1963
63-03.jpg

Those Days of the Sixties, 1965
65-01.jpg

saudek.com

MulletProof said:
:bounce: :heart: yesyes.

[multi, im just discovered you too use invisible mode :o ]

Ummm! ... yes:P ... thank you for inspiring me to do this thread:heart: ...

I'm wondering if the mods can see if you're online even though you use invisble mode?!!! :o ...

...:lol:

no, we cant, it kills me. :doh:

I'm so happy your started the thread, now we're two and let's expect more on board. :P
it's too early in the morning for me to elaborate why i like his work. but i'll be backkkk.!

:lol: ...

Two is better than one :P ... So I will expect you back, since you're also the cause of such atrocity as a Saudek thread :o ...

Life, 1966
66-02.jpg

7 AM, 1968
68-04.jpg

Fate Descends towards the River Leading Two Innocent Children, 1970
70-03a.jpg

Ten Years in the Life of Marketa, 1970-1980
70-04.jpg

saudek.com

Cage, 1970
70-06.jpg

Hungry For Your Touch, 1971
71-01.jpg

Pieta No. 1, 1971
71-03.jpg

Marie No. 142, 1972
72-02.jpg

saudek.com

What's-her-name Girl, 1973
73-02.jpg

Lágrimas Negras (Black Tears), 1973
73-04.jpg

120 km/hr, 1974
74-02.jpg

The Love Story, 1974
74-07.jpg

saudek.com

Yes Indeed Cutxpaste, it is lovely photography :heart: ...

Come, Morning! Come and Bring Me a Diamond Ring, Bring Me a Prince, Glory, Fame, and Wealth - I Don't Want Anything More..., 1975
75-02.jpg

Which Star Is Mine?, 1975
75-08.jpg

Cathy's Clown, 1975
75-10.jpg

The Jewish Cemetary, 1975
75-16.jpg

saudek.com

Can it be, there is only three people here who can see the briliance of Saudek?!!! :o ...

Elusive Dream, 1976
76-05.jpg

The Loneliness, 1977
77-03.jpg

Pavla Poses for The First and Last Time, 1977
77-06.jpg

Zuzanka's Night Window, 1979
79-01a.jpg

Saudek.com

well, well, i've been quietly observing:P
and indeed i have to admit that while i certainly see an appeal in his aesthetic and subjects there is also something i personally find a bit off-putting in his work and i can't quite put my finger on it. maybe it's the mixture of romantic visions, subtle p*rn*gr*phy and seemingly disturbing things ... i somehow find it too sweet as if he were trying to feed it to us with a spoon?

thanks for the thread anyway.
and you wouldn't believe how many replies most of my threads have^_^
(about three)

yeah, it's the Behind the Lens section, mads. always quiet as a worshipping temple. :P

:lol:

but here i come and play drums and he doesn't even hear:P

i'm not his biggest fan but i have to admit that i'm impressed...very much by his early work...amazing indeed... thank you multi...

Esterlla, Somehow I knew you would drop by, when I saw you were back :P ...
Thank you for that and welcome back! :heart: ...

I have never seen his work as p*rn*gr*ph*c(maybe this is a matter of definition? ...), and especially not subtle, especially when you look at his work from the 80s and up til now(which I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post?!!! ...). It is quite in your face and graphic, and in some places it deals with decay, perversion and aggresiveness, but as I also stated in my description, I find an humanity in his photographs, a playfulness and even joyfulness wither you look at his early or latter work, and yes, as you also have discovered yourself, it is filled with an ambiguity, which raises some quite interesting questions I think.

Yes I know about the amount some these more "art" threads gets :o ...

well, i did not mean to use the word p*rn*gr*ph*c in a derogatory sense. and yes, i see that there's something bizarre, too, something agressive but for me it gets drowned by the will to be aesthetically pleasing at the same time... i'll give it some thought and come back when i'm any wiser...

if the imagery is too graphic maybe just post a link instead?

I did hear the drumming way before you entered ... but I'll wait for your return ... yes I'll do links on the more graphic material.

And you to Mullet, I've been awaiting your thoughts :P ...

Sanrio ... you're most welcome! ...

well for mullet it was too early and now for me it's too late :lol:

will definitely come in to express my opinions at some point.. though i can see why you like it multitudes... brings to mind some of the drawings of nude women that you have shared with us

thanks for the thread :flower:

and definitely don't get discouraged by the lack of replies... there are always ppl watching :shifty:

Your most welcome Chrissy :flower: ... and no I'm not discourage, because that would just be giving up, even though the stats are against us, when you look at what forums, that has the highest posts/view no., it would be exactly that just to give up, if people didn't keep on trying to introduce different aspects of the "arts" to eachother. I got this comment from a member who where thanking me for the Jeanloup Sieff photos I have been posting and by chance she also came across, this Rainer Maria Rilke poem I had posted on another members profile, and as she said, if I hadn't posted this poem she wouldn't have been introduced to this incredible poet and his body of work.
When it all comes down to it, it's about inspiring and sharing thoughts and ideas with eachother, I don't see it as educating or forcing but about expanding the body of inspiration for each other, giving people the chance to exploring this realm, and if there is just one person whos "mind" has been broaden, then it's all worth it! ...

Just some thoughts, but Back to Saudek :P ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->