Jean-Paul Goude - Photographer

modillustr

Reaction score
Jean-Paul Goude (born in 1940) is a french graphist, illlustrator, photographer and advertising movie maker.
After chilhood at Saint-Mandé (France), in 1964, he started as an illustrator for the “Printemps” dep. stores, was the pigmalion of Zouzou, then in1970 became art director for the magazine “Esquire” for ten years.

“I was an illustrator, who illustrated the fantasies of others, I became naturally a creator of images” he said. At the time he was working for New-York Magazine, he directed Grace Jones ( she became his egery and the mother of his son).In 1983, he published his autobiography entitled “jungle fever” and directed the movie “el flamenco” using the concept “shake me” invented in 1972 1972 by Georges Petit and designed the new visual graphic design for Kodak: “sprites escaping from a slide”.

His movies are close to his personal works and illustrate his taste for bodies, exoticism, music, danse, and fairy tales.He describes his silent movies as ballets or mime shows.The eccentric colors of his artworks served prestigious brand such as Perrier, Citroen or Chanel and were worldwide broadcasted.

In 1989 , for the bicentenary of the french révolution , the government intrust him the conceiving of a huge procession at the Champs Elysées, which contributed to his popularity.

In 1990, for the Chanel 's Egoist perfume, he directed a movie beginning as a tragedy in B&W, and changing to color , to finish as a ballet.”I think it 's my best movie, I mean my best ad movie..” Graphis magazine May/June 1992.

In 1991 on Jean-Luc Lagardère’s request, he designed the logo of the “fifth” channel TV.

The following year, he shooted the photos and the movie for Chanel ‘s Coco advertising campaign with Vanessa Paradis, the new Chanel’s egery, who swinged in a bird cage. Then after he transformed Carole Bouquet, Chanel ‘s ambassador, into Marylin Monroe for Chanel n°5.

Since 2001, he is art director of Galeries Lafayettes advertising campaign, about which he sayed:”I wanted to go against the general trend, everything one could see at this time”.One after one he made posters full of happiness and freshness like a serial in which Laetitia Casta, plays all the roles as an heroine(the bride, SantaClaus or the dandy).

In 2005, he published “Tout Goude” with a DVD at Editions Lamartinière. (So Far So Goude Ed.Assouline(US) and Ed.Thames&Hudson(UK))

Translation from Wikipedia fr.

Jean-Paul Goude and Isabelle Adjani on Vogue cover.
adjani_goude_vogue.jpg
Vogue.com

Last edited by a moderator:
great video. his chanel ads were amazing :heart:. i also really liked his collaborations w/ grace jones...her album covers are so iconic.

his work w/ Grace Jones in the 80's was BRILLIANT! Too lazy to post a link, but if anybody's interested, there's a thread in the "Etc..Supporting Cast" page about Favorite Black/African Models, and somebody posted a lot of his work w/ her then...So stunning!

^so true - his work with grace was seminal.

1991 Perrier ad

Ad agengy: Ogilvy & Mather
Art director: Bernard Bureau
Film maker: Jean-Paul Goude
Perrier

US Harper's Bazaar August 2010
"I'm No Angel"
Models: Laetitia Casta, Renne Castrucci, Fabrice Robert-Leroux, Frederick Malahieude, and Pascal Wilhem.
Photographer: Jean-Paul Goude
Stylist: Alex Aikiu
Hair: Pier Giuseppe
Makeup: Lloyd Simmonds

Scanned by flyme2themoon

magazine: New York Times Style Magazine, Women's Fashion Fall 2006
editorial: Hello Dolly
photographer: Jean-Paul Goude
model: Audrey Marnay
One picture is missing

nytimes.com via Audrey's thread

magazine: Harper's Bazaar June 2007
Valentino
photographer: Jean-Paul Goude
styling: Ana Steiner
hair: Laurent Philippon
make-up: Igne Grognard
models: Valentino, Anna Druzyaka, Anna Kuchkina, Anna Tokarska, Carolina Pantoliano, Cecilia Mendez, Christelle Koko, Eva Jay Kubatova, Kelly Craig, Laura Blokhina, Viviane Orth

scanned by kevinnn

Paris Match November 10-16, 2011 ebook30.com

Grace Jones - "Slave to the Rhythm" (1985)
Director: Jean-Paul Goude

sbhs0456 @ youtube

V Magazine #74 Winter 2011 / 2012 jurnalik.ru

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->