www.jenslekman.com
www.myspace.com/jenslekman
[SIZE=-1]www.last.fm/music/Jens+Lekman

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
423335lu2.jpg
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]​

Jens Martin Lekman (born February 6, 1981 in Angered, Sweden) is a Swedish pop musician. He has released two albums and several EPs since 2003. His music can be described as guitar-based pop with heavy use of samples and strings; the lyrics are often witty, romantic, and melancholic. His work is often compared to that of Stephin Merritt of the Magnetic Fields, Jonathan Richman, and Morrissey.
Lekman recorded and released much of his material privately from 2000 to 2003 on CD-R. Because one of his songs during this time was entitled "Rocky Dennis' Farewell Song to the Blind Girl", Lekman was mistakenly referred to as Rocky Dennis for a while (the song was actually written from the perspective of the main character of the 1985 film Mask). Lekman says that it was a "mistake": "someone thought that was my real name cause I had a song about him, and then radio picked up on it, and I never had a chance to change it". He put the confusion to rest with his Rocky Dennis in Heaven EP (2004).
His self-released 7" vinyl EP Maple Leaves caused a big stir in 2003, mainly due to sound files circulating on file sharing networks. When the same EP was released on CD by the Swedish independent label Service Records in the autumn, he was already a well-known name. The songs "Maple Leaves" and "Black Cab" were heavily played on Swedish national radio. He soon signed a contract with the American label Secretly Canadian for releases outside of Sweden. Heavy touring and his debut album soon followed.
His first album When I Said I Wanted to Be Your Dog was released in 2004, and consisted of recordings made between 2000 and 2004 (some tracks had been previously released independently by Lekman). The album attracted attention among the alternative music press in both Europe and the US. The song "You Are The Light" was a successful radio hit, and a video received some rotation in the Nordic MTV and ZTV. In Sweden the album reached #6 in the national chart. Lekman was nominated for three Swedish Grammies, three P3 Guld and three Manifest awards, as well as dubbed album of the year by Nöjesguiden.
A concert film shot from Lekman's sold-out show with José González at Göteborg's concert hall in December 2003 was broadcast by Swedish national television two times in 2005. In June 2005, a compilation CD of Jens' three first EPs, with extra tracks, was released as Oh You're So Silent Jens. According to Jens Lekman's myspace (which he runs himself), a new album is tentatively scheduled as "upcoming (hopefully this year)."
Live performances by Lekman have differed in style; at times he has performed alone with only a guitar and a CD player, sometimes doing a capella versions of his songs, while at other times he has been accompanied by a choir and string quartet.

(picture from last.fm, information from wikipedia)

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]​

jl01xk0.jpg

God bless the internet. I realized today that I hadn’t heard that new Jens Lekman song “A Postcard to Nina” since Jens played it at Pitchfork. Two minutes later I had found a live video and ten minutes after that I had ripped it into this MP3.
MP3: Jens Lekman - A Postcard to Nina (live; new)
I’ve typed and erased this sentence a dozen times, but there’s no reason not to say it: Jens Lekman is one of the most heartwarmingly great songwriters of the past two decades. “A Postcard to Nina” tells the (true) story of Jens pretending to be his lesbian German penpal’s boyfriend so her father won’t find out that she’s gay. Through this half-sung, half talked live version, Jens is charming — arguably his best trait, witty and uplifting. He goes along with the ruse, but closes out his story of charade with the uplifting message to Nina: “Don’t let anyone stand in your way.” It’s beautiful. Plus, having one of the best choruses in your catalogue full of amazing choruses doesn’t hurt either.
Also, I should probably mention that I’m still sort of in love with Jens’ backing band of Maidens from his 2006 tour.

(yanp)

I love jens lekman, but I did like it better when he was alone on stage and just sang to samples. these days he usually brings this whole band and I can't stand the basplayer, haha.

I loved When I said I wanted to be your dog when it first came out.. :heart:
..then I lost his album and never bothered to got it back.. so I guess the love wasn't all that big. :P

I love these lines from black cab:

I killed the party again, I ruined it for my friends
"Well, you're so silent, Jens" Well, maybe I am, maybe I am

:P :heart:

I love Jens!!!!! :buzz:
His music is so sweet, it just makes me smile :blush::wub:

i don't really care for his music. not because it's horrid but that it sounds a bit unoriginal. just doesn't sound like a refreshing interpretation of the hazlewood,scott walker etc. influences to me. really,if i want to hear that,i will put my scott and lee and nancy albums on....which i do!

one of my favorite jens lyrics:

I offered you some chocolate
You declined so sweetly and commented on my jacket
"It makes you look like a lumberjack, but are you man enough to wear it?"
I said, "It used to be my grand-grandfather's, what could I do but inherit it?"
:woot::rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh