Joe Zee - Stylist

Joe Zee and the Business of Fashion
By Xu Ci En on 10/13/11 | Categorized under style

Joe-Zee-e1318491389269.jpg

Often touted as one of fashion’s friendliest ambassadors, Joe Zee, creative director of Elle magazine in the US, has rapidly earned a fan following for his enthusiasm for all things fashion, his endearing sense of humour and an impeccable sense of style.

The Hong Kong-born Zee first appeared on TV screens on reality TV shows such as Stylista and The City and now has his own TV show called All On The Line, where he helps struggling designers bring their business back from the brink of bankruptcy.

You’ve been labeled as one of the friendliest people in fashion, how do you feel about that?
I think my goal with doing All On The Line has always been to be “me”. I have never tried to play a character, but really bring out the best in every designer. I won’t appease you just to be kind. I think that does a disservice. These designers need me to be as honest as possible and if I’m tough, it’s because I know their potential is far greater than what they’re showing me.

On that note, how do you handle divas in the business?
Kill them with kindness. That’s usually far more annoying than being rattled by their behavior.

How has the fashion industry changed since you started out?
More so, how has the times changed and that’s technology. The internet has made fashion much more accessible and democratic.

What advice can you give to aspiring business owners before they take the plunge?
I think, first of all, every designer needs to have a look at their collection from an objective point of view. You can’t live in the bubble of what you do and not be conscious of everything else happening in the world of fashion. Are you relevant? Does your collection make sense in the grand scheme of things? Always have a strong point of view. Being commercial doesn’t mean being boring, a point which I stressed to Radenroro and Jeddah-Kahn, and you can see how it worked for one but not the other. Many times designers think “commercial” is a dirty word but how dirty can success be? I think that’s what I provide for many of the designers – that objective third party point of view.

Joe-Zee-2.jpg
Joe Zee eyes the runways at Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week for the Spring Summer 2012 this year

How do you juggle your job at Elle and filming All On The Line?
I have a dedication to the fashion industry and all things style, I love the fashion industry because it changes constantly and that’s what’s keeps it exciting for me. What other industry can say that? I love what I do and that’s how I keep up. To unwind and relax, I indulge in pop culture: I love reading, going to the movies, even checking out the latest art exhibitions. I’m also a big fan of dance and you can often find me in dance classes and finally, I love cooking big dinner parties for all my friends.

Share with us some menswear designers that you like.
Choosing a favorite designer is like choosing a favorite child, only because I like different designers for different reasons. I have always loved the elegance and sexiness of Gucci and Versace and YSL but I also love the creative genius of designers like Marc Jacobs and Nicolas Ghesquiere for Balenciaga. And of course, the ever-elegant Alber Elbaz has always been a favorite of mine where he currently designes for Lanvin.

What style item do you never leave home without?
I carry an old-school Jansport backpack every day — it’s my chic, go-to-work bag. I’m obsessed. This style has good details with a bit of Navajo coloring, suede bottoms and buckles. I use it for work — I’m too busy typing away on my BlackBerry or holding a coffee, while trying to catch a cab. I love a hands-free moment.

Biggest style pet peeve?
My No. 1 pet peeve is not understanding fit. If you can understand fit, everything else is gravy. It’s never about being on-trend; it’s about finding what wears you well, not you looking like you’re absorbed by the look.

You’re a very enthusiastic user of Twitter. Have you had any funny encounters from using it?
A sweet girl from Georgia that I met on the street in Savannah wrote me a rap and recorded it and put it up on YouTube. And she’s just 14!

All On The Line airs on Li (Life Inspired) on Singtel Mio Channel 22 every Sunday at 10pm.

augustman.com

US Elle December 2011 : Jessica Biel by Carter Smith

The Real Biel
Jessica Biel by Carter Smith
Styed by Joe Zee

storemags

^ Subscriber cover:

ebay.com

Last edited by a moderator:
US Elle January 2012 : Jessica Biel by Carter Smith

ms. congeniality

star:
katherine heigl
photographer:
carter smith
stylist:
joe zee
hair:
david babaii
make-up:
angela levin

worldmags
via visualoptimism

W November 2002

Glamorama
Photographer: Michael Thompson
Fashion Editor: Joe Zee
Fashion Assistant: Suzanne Karotkin
Set Design: Zac Mitchell
Pyrotechnics: Jauchem & Meeh
Make-Up: Stephane Marais
Hair: Recine
Model: Hannelore Knuts

Scanned by me

W January 2000

Fashion Assistant: Meenal Mistry
Hair: Gavin
Make-Up: Scott Andrew
Special effects make-up: Greg Solomon
Set Design: Gerard Santos
Location Scout: Shawn Barnes
Models: Guinevere Van Seenus, Michael Topper and Paul Hamy

Part 1:

Scanned by me

W January 2000

And God Created Gisele
Hair: Serge Normant
Make-Up: Dick Page
Manicure: Roseann Singleton
Model: Gisele Bündchen

Scanned by me

W June 2000

Rough & Ready
Manicure: Sheril Bailey
Prop Stylist: Gerard Santos
Models: Cindy Crawford and Mark Hobson

Scanned by me

W June 2000

Real Simple
Models: Alek Wek, Bridget Hall, Caroline Ribeiro, Claudia Schiffer, Frankie Rayder and Karen Elson

Scanned by me

W July 2001

Fashion Crusade
Hair: Kevin Ryan
Make-Up: Dick Page
Set Design: Tom Bell
Models: Carmen Maria, Hannelore Knuts and Karolina Kurkova

Part 1:

Scanned by me