Kinder Aggugini for Macys

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
is anyone familiar with this designer? :blink:

Macy’s Gets Fast Fashion
By ERIC WILSON

ANY retailer on earth would just about die to create the kind of consumer craze that takes place when H & M introduces a discount designer collaboration (like the heavily touted one from Lanvin coming on Nov. 20). The high-low concept has worked well for Target, Gap and Uniqlo, but the latest store to delve into fast fashion is a bit unexpected in that it is the classically mainstream Macy’s.
Macy’s is expected to announce today that it will sell a series of limited-edition designer collections, beginning in February. Each will be on sale for about two months, until the next collaboration is announced. The first is by Kinder Aggugini, a rising star of the London runways who is practically unknown in the United States, where his clothes are sold only at If in New York and Ikram in Chicago.
The collection for Macy’s, which will be sold at about 250 locations, will cost $50 to $300 and is targeted toward younger customers who shop in its Impulse departments. “This customer loves to shop,” said Jeff Gennette, the chief merchandising officer of Macy’s. “She wants to be in our store all the time, and we’d better be interesting.”
Mr. Aggugini is interesting. Having designed for Versace, Calvin Klein and Vivienne Westwood, he started his label about four years ago based on his fantasy of what a marriage between Coco Chanel and Sid Vicious might look like. That is to say a tailored punk look, or an offhanded treatment of luxury fabrics.
When Nicole Fischelis, the fashion director of Macy’s, approached him, Mr. Aggugini thought there had been some sort of mistake. “I thought maybe they wanted me to go to the parade,” he said. “I thought, ‘Oh, there’s going to be a Kinder balloon!’ ”
But Mr. Aggugini was enticed by the notion of creating something affordable that still felt like a runway collection — draped dresses in washed silk paired with a tailored military or leather jacket, for example — especially for shoppers who may have never heard of him.
“How cool,” he said. “Something that sells on the strength of what it is, rather than who I am.”

The Kinder Aggugini capsule will feature modern, feminine and figure flattering silhouettes in two contemporary color stories: grey and blue with purple prints and soft pink and black. Priced on average from $40-$140, with specialty pieces selling up to $300, the line will feature jackets, knitwear, dresses and shorts. Key items will include tailored leather and boucle jackets, soft cardigans, ultra feminine silk shorts and Kimono-style dresses with Kinder's signature touches.

Kinder Aggugini says, "When I was approached by Macy’s, I thought they were going to ask me to be in the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Imagine my surprise when I heard they wanted me to design a line for their stores all over the U.S. So I thought; a designer known for handcrafted luxury aimed to the fashion elite, to create a contemporary line for the kids of America? Oh yeah, sounds great! Let's do it! And we can make it different. Let's design it as if it was a runway collection, make this line about silhouettes, colors, draping and structure. The idea is to give it a chic look, that feels sexy and edgy and best of all, you can afford it."

source: shoppingblog

Attachments

• kinder_aggugini_macys_impulse_sketches.jpg
    kinder_aggugini_macys_impulse_sketches.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 5
I look forward to this. His drape is extraordinary and I loved a lot of his looks for winte 10.

source: thefeast

Attachments

• Kinder+Aggugini+for+Macy's.jpg
    Kinder+Aggugini+for+Macy's.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 6
hmmm...
don't know how i feel about this...

i'm really not familiar with his work so i can't compare to the main line...

are they marketing it to younger consumers so that they can produce with cheap fabrics?

just stumbled upon this at fashionista.com
what a coincidence...

“Am I in it?” Kinder Aggugini asks no one in particular as we watch a promotional video for his new Macy’s collection. The London-based Aggugini, who has worked for the likes of Vivienne Westwood and Versace, is the first designer to sign up for Impulse, the department store’s answer to Target’s Go International collections. (Next up is Matthew Williamson, then Karl Lagerfeld.) His appearance in the video is fleeting, but he’s there–looking very handsome, wearing a leather jacket.

But tonight isn’t about Kinder. Well, not really. It’s about his clothes, a mix of dresses, rompers, and jackets all priced at around $100. And while his name might not roll off the tips of most American tongues, Macy’s shoppers won’t be able to deny the strength of this collection. “Here, no one knows what my name is,” Kinder told Fashionista. “I thought, ‘What if I created a collection that people buy because they like it?’ There’s no reason other than because they love the garment and they want to buy it.”
Dress-98-Pink-with-Black-Sash-150x150.jpg

It is sort of a novel idea in an age of super brands and celebrity labels. But while there’s no hard evidence–as of yet, at least–that Aggugini will accomplish his goal, we’re betting the collection will be a hit. The trompe l’oeil dress and play suit will appease any Chanel-loving girl without making her look like a poser, while the dotty dresses and floral frocks flatter women of different ages and sizes. Kinder Aggugini may not be a marquee name, but he’s most definitely a marquee-caliber designer.

As for what he’ll do if this project does indeed push him into that stratosphere? “I don’t think everyone is going to know my name! But it also wouldn’t make a difference. I will get a kick out of seeing people buy it and responding to the product. Not my name.”
more images from the collection here: http://fashionista.com/2011/01/kind...macys-collection-might-not-give-him-a-choice/

Last edited by a moderator:
i like this idea. the prices are almost the same as the designer collaborations at H&M. and we all know macy's is higher quality than H&M.

but i dont think contemporary consumers shop at macys anymore. so it might be too "too little too late".

thats good news about matthew williamson's collection. maybe we can find his in march?

i wish i liked it more...
is it on the macy's website?
cause there is NOTHING that can make me go into macy's in times square...

nothing but a tourist trap that is...
:ninja:...

there is a placeholder page at http://www.macys.com/impulse

i like this dress on hilary rhoda. its 68$. i think this dress would be more expensive at H&M. looks like a good deal.

source: hilaryrhodafans

ha ha ha ha..i love this quote from him (from vogue.co.uk)

""I went out and looked at the competition and most of them took their own designs and translated them in cheaper fabric and cheaper manufacturing," Aggugini said of the recent high-low designer collaborations at stores like H&M and Target. "The result, to me, was diabolical."

Attachments

• kinder1.jpg
    kinder1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
  • kinder2.jpg
    kinder2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
i feel like i'm curious about this more to see how macy's will produce the collaboration and to see what the quality will be like...

hilary rhoda looks perfectly nice in that dress, but i don't think i really saw anything that would lure me into macy's...
as it is, i only ever quickly walk through macy's if i'm entering/exiting the mall through there and trying to get to another store :ninja:

more pics from wwd.

Attachments

• macys01.jpg
    macys01.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 3
  • macys02.jpg
    macys02.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 2
i'm not crazy about those sash/belt things...
i wonder if they're just used for styling or if they're attached to the dresses...

i'm guessing attached since we've been seeing them in so many pics

i wish i liked it more...
is it on the macy's website?
cause there is NOTHING that can make me go into macy's in times square...

nothing but a tourist trap that is...
:ninja:...

what? the idea of stepping over clothes and hearing the theft alarm sound every 5 minutes doesn't entice you? :lol:

Never heard of this designer, but I have good faith in Macy's. majority of my wardrobe is from Macy's cause i check that clearance rack quite often, and Macy's happily fills those racks quite as often. the quality of the discounted item is still much better than buying an equally priced shirt or something from Wal-mart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carluaz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->