Lanvin's Lucas Ossendrijver Article

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Follow the Rules: Lucas Ossendrijver

Lanvin’s inventive men’s designer on the merits of sneakers, the tackiness of logos, and why you should invest in a mismatched suit.

You shouldn’t adapt to what people expect you to wear—you should make your clothes your own. For me what’s interesting is to wear the jackets and pants of suits separately.
I think it’s distasteful when people buy clothes with logos or brag about what they spend on their clothes. Luxury should be something intimate.
Jewelry is very difficult for men, but they can go a little more extreme with shoes and bags. Wear trainers with a suit and the look completely changes.
I think clothes are more elegant when they’re nonchalant. You can wear something quite sophisticated but not look too overtly luxurious.
Friday-wear is very typically American. You have this office uniform, and then suddenly it’s the weekend and it’s the opposite. I think it’s better to mix the two and make officewear a little less formal and Friday-wear a little less casual.
When I was younger I used to wear a lot of T-shirts, but now I wear more and more button-down shirts. I think it’s actually very cool to just have a lot of really great shirts in a very good fabric.
It’s important that clothes be light when you’re layering. It’s very nice if you wear three jackets instead of one—but not three suit jackets. I mean a shirt and a shirt jacket and another jacket made out of very light fabric. There’s a richness to that look.
A lot of men are very insecure when it comes to dressing. They ask themselves every morning, “What am I going to wear? Is it the right thing? Does it match?” Once they find something they stick to it, and I think that’s a shame. I think men should make a bit more of an effort. They should see clothing not as something necessary but as something fun.
There’s something modern about dressing up—wearing a shirt and a tie—but in a lighter way. We made ties that were just strips of fabric-—sometimes in the same fabric as the shirt. It’s a new way to wear a tie.
I don’t really like wallets. I prefer that you carry your money in your pocket or put everything in a bag and carry it there. Just keep it simple.
detailsmag.com

Attachments

• lanvin1.jpg
    lanvin1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 362
i like his sense of keeping things simple.. ^^
just don't agree with all your money in your bag.. dangerous..

thanks for the article lucy~

I love him! I will definitley keep these rules in mind when thinking about my own style from now on.
I agree with the suit thing. It's impossible for a suit maker to know how a suit jacket and suit pants will work on someone and if you find suit pants that fit you beautifully and the jacket is so-so, leave the jacket behind.

Wearing trainers with a suits, not sure about that. Maybe if you work in the fashion industry.

:heart:

^i guess it depends on whether he meant trainers (1) or trainers (2)... :innocent: :lol:
img
hogan_image.jpg

(credit mercadolibre.com and la-botte.com)

interesting read!

^what's the difference between the two...

What I find funny (but it makes sense) is that most of the 10 rules explain what Lanvin for men is all about. Not that I blame him, he pretty much wrote 10 reasons why you should buy Lanvin. lol

i totally agree with number 5! and i think he means something cleaner like dior homme common projects or his own label in regards to trainers

pdf-giant.com (Nylon Guys September 2012)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Flashbang for posting this. :flower:
I really enjoy each of his interviews, he always provides an insightful view on menswear and the house itself, whilst keeping things simple, direct, and to-the-point. I mean, he's just the epitome of cool. :heart: From where I'm standing, he might easily be THE leading light in men's fashion of today.
I'm particulary fixated on the fact he has a keen interest in exploring the high-tech and infusing it within the classic Lanvin ideas, we don't get to see nearly enough of that in fashion yet, truthfully there's no better house to be gaining a mastery of that than Lanvin.

As much as I love Lucas's work, that was a really boring style tips guide loaded with platitudes you can get from your mom.

Dutch-born Lucas Ossendrijver has designed the men’s collections at Lanvin, making them as famed as its womenswear, since 2006

My personal style signifier is my shirt. I always wear a slim-fit classic by Lanvin with tailored trousers or jeans. I have a lot that are light blue, and some that are checked. From £195;www.lanvin.com.

The last thing I bought and loved is a bike from Bicycle Store in Paris. I had it custom made, in matte black, with a fluorescent-orange chain. There are no markings on it and it is composed of elements from different models of bicycle. I wanted it to look like a shadow. 17 Boulevard du Temple, 75003 Paris (+339-5161 6829; www.bicyclestore.fr).

And the thing I’m eyeing next is a photograph by David Armstrong. I have had his book Night and Day on my desk for ages. It’s a collection of images he shot in New York in the late 1970s and early 1980s. I’d like to own the one of two guys in the back seat of an open-top car, driving through the city. I feel like I have a connection to the work because I’ve lived with it for so long. www.davidarmstrongphotographs.com.

An unforgettable place I’ve travelled to in the past year is Tinos in the Aegean Sea. It’s a very family-oriented Greek island with just a few small villages – and no tourists. I was there because a friend of mine married someone from the island. It has hardly been developed at all and is very authentic, with not many people around. And there are lots of beaches, each one with different scenery and nature, and each a little secluded.

A recent find is a small gallery in Paris called Balice Hertling, in a quite undeveloped part of town. The gallerists have a good eye for contemporary installation and mixed-media work – they represent, among others, Alexander May and Elias Hansen. When I visited there was one room of installations using concrete and wood, and another with drawings made out of make-up and pencil. 47 Rue Ramponeau, 75020 Paris (+331-4033 4726; www.balicehertling.com).

The last meal that truly impressed me was at Vivant, close to where I live in the 10th arrondissement. It’s simple, with just a few tables in an old boulangerie; the original ceramic tiles are still on the walls and there’s lots of bric‑a-brac. The food isn’t complicated either and the menu is short. They have found the right balance: part gastronomique, part hearty, with dishes such as suckling pig with mashed potato. 42 Rue des Petites Ecuries, 75010 Paris ).(+331-4246 4355; www.vivantparis.com).

An object I would never part with is my 1950s Oysterdate Rolex. I bought it 10 years ago. It’s actually a boy’s watch and the size seems so appropriate. I don’t like very big timepieces. www.rolex.com.

The last music I downloaded was Rework, a collection of remixes of works by Philip Glass. I’m a fan of Glass, and also Pantha du Prince, who remixed the track Mad Rush Organ. www.panthaduprince.com. www.philipglassrework.com.

My favourite websites are Artnet and Artcurial, which detail artwork selling at auction. They help me to discover new artists and which galleries represent them. www.artcurial.com. www.artnet.com.

The best gift I’ve given recently is a tiny gold chain from Cartier. It’s a very fine necklace that I bought for a friend I work with. www.cartier.com.

And the best one I’ve received recently is a handmade, airtight Japanese copper vessel for storing tea. It’s extremely beautiful and will age well.

If I didn’t live in Paris, the city I would live in is Berlin. The quality of life there is excellent. There are lakes and forests, and I enjoy walking around the bohemian Kreuzberg area. I’d recommend visiting the Peres Projects galleries in Kreuzberg and Mitte for emerging artists. The best nightclub is Berghain, which I love for the diverse crowd. Peres Projects, Schlesische Strasse 26, 10997 Berlin (+4930-6162 6962; www.peresprojects.com), and Karl-Marx-Allee 82, 10243 Berlin (+4930-2759 50770). Berghain, Wriezener Bahnhof 1, 10243 Berlin (+4930-2936 0210, www.berghain.de).
howtospendit.ft.com

From Flaunt Magazine.
Add'l text/images here: http://flaunt.com/features/117/elegant-fray-lucas-ossendrijver

Written By: LONG NGUYEN

When you first arrived at Lanvin, did you have a particular mission in mind on what to do with the men’s collection?
Lucas Ossendrijver: When I started, about six years ago, it was a blank sheet. What we tried to do was figure out what men needed today and what was relevant at that moment. We didn’t want to make a fashion collection. For us, it wasn’t about being cool or trying to bring some kind of revolution to Lanvin, but about making the clothes that we thought were relevant for men today. We thought about defining a wardrobe much like what Jeanne Lanvin did in her time, almost like a lifestyle company before it existed. So we thought about every moment of the day and what, for that moment, men needed; we had a few pants, we had some coats, we had jackets, a tuxedo, a pajama, underwear and some hats. It was really about making a contemporary wardrobe. That was my mission. I don’t really believe in revolution, I believe in evolution. From season to season we adapt and change. We don’t throw away the old ideas, but we try to make them evolve and move forward.
Since Lanvin only had very classic menswear, was it easier for you to start off without a burden of heritage to follow?
Lanvin was actually one of the first brands to do menswear. When I arrived, there was a classic line. Jeanne had important information for men. In the ‘80s and ‘90s, there was prêt-a-porter for menswear, but the image was somewhat dusty. There was always, and I’m very happy about this, a notion of quality craftsmanship. Those were the type of things that further built the brand. I took the quality that was there and tried to modernize it.
I’ve seen all of your shows since the beginning and never had a sense that the collection was designed for anyone in particular. There are no references to the past seeing as how designers like to talk about the ‘60s and ‘70s—this rockstar, that rockstar—and with you, it’s really about discovering the clothes. Is that how you work with the collection?
Yes, I’m very hands-on when I work with my team in the studio. We work on clothes. We don’t really make a mood board with decisions on whether or not we go to the Bahamas next season or if we’ll be Indians after that. For me, it’s about the clothes and how they speak. For me, luxury is something intimate. There is a lot of research that is done and I use my studio as a laboratory to find solutions, to find techniques. Each season, we start from a technique—a shape, a cut, or construction—and then we try to build a story around that. In the end, the story is not what’s most important, but what one must do is make clothes that make people beautiful and make their personality come out. It’s really about the individual person and I’m trying to bring that forth instead of fashion that outshines the wearer. Also, what we try to do with the show is have 40 boys who are 40 individuals. It’s sort of anti-uniform.
That’s really what elegance is today. It’s about people and individualism, not corporate looks and logos.
Exactly. What we try to do is define French elegance. What is French elegance? I think in French elegance there is something about making mistakes. It’s about clothes that you have for a long time, not every season buying a new look from one brand and wearing that. It’s about mixing pieces and, I think, that’s where it gets interesting.
In the collection, a lot of research goes into trying to find fabrics that address how the clothes would look in a certain feel, texture, or material. How important is making the right fabric choice?
Fabrics are always a starting point. Fabric development is extremely important, especially in menswear: the weight, texture, and composition. What you want to do when you work on a fabric is make it speak, so to say. After you have the right fabric, you try and find a technique that works for that specific type. Also, when we do colors, we do individual-per-fabric color, so it’s not like we’re taking one color then applying it to each fabric choice, but trying to look at each fabric’s texture and say, ‘Okay, this red may work in a cotton, but may not work in a wool. This texture may work with a strong color and not with a soft color.’ Every fabric has it’s own color. In the end, when we mix them all for the show, it’s ultimately very rich looking. Again, they’re not uniform, and they’re not all the same. You get a feeling of richness, and I think that’s very important.
How is working with Alber [Elbaz]? Do you interact with him a great deal in terms of your work?
Yes, we communicate a lot actually. His studio is right up the road. For me, it’s very valuable to have him come from outside. He’s not a menswear designer and he has a different eye. It’s very enriching for me, as well, to have someone come over and give an opinion, give a different input or find another solution. Sometimes when you’re in the design process, you only see the problem and it’s easier for him to come in from the outside and see a different view and say, ‘Do you really need this piece? Why would you try to make it work when it doesn’t? Try this or try that.’ That’s our strength; it is a dialogue, not a monologue.
Over the past two or three seasons, there’s been a lot of women’ s wear fabric incorporated into the men’s collection. Was that deliberate?
That works both ways. A lot of the time we do fabric research and I look at what Alber finds and vice versa. I think it’s good for the company to be under one umbrella. We can go from women to men or from men to women and it doesn’t matter. It’s really about what works.
In this Fall collection, there are a lot of silhouettes for jackets and pants. There’s a range of choices from fitted to loose silhouettes.
Fashion, for me, is about options and also what works in real life. We don’t make outfits just for the show. The outfits have to work in real life for real people. When we propose something, we like to have options. A person can have a slim pant with a large jacket or a really tight-fit jacket with a larger pant. It’s really about proposing different options for men so that they can find themselves and make the clothes their own. We are not dictators. We propose.
Do you think men nowadays look more for suits, or for jackets and pants separately?
I think they look for separates, to be honest. When I am in the showroom after the shows, I see how clients buy, and they buy separates. They buy a jacket, they buy a pant, and they combine them. They don’t really buy the suits anymore like they did, and I think that’s very good because you can mix fabrics and colors together. Even if you have a complete look, you can have a pant that’s a slightly different texture or color and that makes it a bit more individual.
Is that a major change in menswear?
Yes! Men are very different from women in that aspect. Men buy for need. They don’t go to a store to shop just for fun. Women do that. They want something that’s new each season, but when men find something that works for them, they go to that store for the same thing. What I see now is that men are a little bit more interested in fashion. They’re not afraid anymore like they used to be. Men admit that they enjoy fashion and like dressing up. It’s very positive.
Every time I visit the showroom, there is a huge selection of shoes. Are shoes the accessory for men like handbags and jewelry are for women?
I love shoes, and I love the craftsmanship of them. As far as accessories for men, shoes are really how you can change a look without wearing something quite outrageous. If you wear a hiking boot or a trainer with a suit, it can completely change how you walk and completely change your attitude. That’s what I really like about accessories.
Especially a hiking boot in snakeskin!
Yes, you’re right. It has to be luxurious!
In the collection, how did the magnetic buttoning come about?
We had to look at sportswear and bring elements of that into tailoring and seriously constructed garments. We looked at zippers and different clothing systems like the magnetic system, and then we tried to use it in a new way. We made those tailored coats really slim-fitted, almost cut with a knife, and close to the body with really narrow shoulders. We then wanted to do something that wraps around the body with little effort so that it almost closes itself. Next, we sewed the magnet on the inside so that you don’t see them on the outside, and it clicks automatically.
So, it’s almost like combining traditional tailoring with new technology.
Exactly! It’s really about mixing the classic with contemporary and proving that the two can live in the same world. When you look at the show, on one hand, you have the tasseled loafer in crocodile, snakeskin, or plain leather, and on the other hand we have the hiking boot, which are quite extreme with elastic wrapping, the application of different clothing systems, and two-toned soles. It’s really about proving that those two can live together.
So you experimented in the studio and found the magnetic buttons to be a new solution.
Yes. It was about how we can make this coat more modern and easier to wear. When you design, it’s about answering those simple questions. For me, designing is also about being generous. I don’t like the idea that you have to concentrate on one thing, because that’s so stressful. I like the process you go through when you have different items or different propositions that, ultimately, results in a story. For me, fashion isn’t linear. It is emotional. It has to do with intuition, and also letting go of things, instead of trying to be so narrow. That’s the way it works with people in real life as well.

Interview with Simon Chilvers of matchesfashion.com

At Lanvin HQ, in Paris’s 8th arrondissement, designer Lucas Ossendrijver (above) is discussing fashion swatches around a table with his team. He is wearing a striped T-shirt, jeans and sneakers. Inside his modest office, there is an antique wooden desk strewn with books and various papers, a rail of clothes and a cracking view of the Parisian rooftops. He has his photo taken with minimum fuss, and talks freely and unhurriedly, but with precision and warmth. ‘I consider myself to be very lucky to do my job. People complain a lot in fashion. I don’t know why,’ he says.

Ossendrijver joined Lanvin in 2005, employed by creative director Alber Elbaz to create a full menswear line. Previously, the label, the oldest couture house of Paris, had focused solely on classic menswear – and bespoke. Ossendrijver was born in 1970, in the small Neterlands village of Amersfoort. His father ran a construction business, though Ossendrijver knew early on that he wanted to take a more creative path. He studied at Arnhem’s Institute of the Arts before working at brands including Kenzo. Arriving at Lanvin from Dior Homme, where he had worked alongside Hedi Slimane (now creative director at Saint Laurent), Ossendrijver put Lanvin menswear on the map by creating luxury clothes with fashion bite; his shows were a highlight, while his sneakers became both a design classic and a sell-out hit. We met the designer in Paris…

What do you think your desk and office say about you?

‘My office is the opposite of my personality. I’m quite organised. In my apartment, there is almost nothing. All day I am working on colours and fabrics and thinking about clothes. I notice in my office it’s messy; there are piles of books, swatches, old garments and things lying around. I’m afraid of being in an empty space with a blank page, for me as a designer that is the worst possible prospect.’

Do you design at your desk?

‘I’m not somebody who draws a lot. I have to see clothes, feel clothes. I have to see the swatches that we make in the studio next door. I have to go to manufacturers and see how things are made, how people work and then I interfere.’

Is there anything on your desk that has a particular meaning for you?

‘The pin cushion
. I brought it with me on my first day at Lanvin. It has no value at all but it’s something I’m quite attached to. I bought it at a flea market. There are some books I always have on my desk. Two by Collier Schorr [Jens F and Neighbours/Nachbarn] – I like they way she captures the ambigiuous state between youth and growing up, there’s vulnerability in the work that I find touching. I also like David Armstrong [Night and Day] – that’s a book I go back to a lot.’​

Where do you find inspiration?

‘Ideas come in the most weird places. I think about clothes almost all the time; it’s passionate, it’s something I can’t help. It comes naturally. I never have to look for something, it comes when my mind sort of wanders off. I like to go to the theatre to see modern dance – even when it’s not as good as you hoped, and your mind starts to wander and you’re in a trance. Those moments are when ideas come. I think it is important to be bored every now and then, to have the time to digest and think about other things. During the season, sometimes I have an idea but I’ll make a note and keep it for later. Designing is a process that never stops or ends. It’s like a rolling ball. I recently saw a show by [American dancer/choreographer] Lucinda Childs that was so, so good.’

There were two front doors on the SS15 catwalk. Tell me about those.
‘That happened very last minute. We had a door that we used for advertising and the idea was to use that door for the show but then we realised it would be too small in the space. So we had it remade and the idea was that it was like the door of a family house, because that’s what Lanvin is all about – the logo is of a mother and a daughter. But when we were in the space, all of a sudden it didn’t really work. Alber [Elbaz] had the idea to take the second, smaller door and use them together. It’s the idea of mother/daughter, big door/small door. There was also something surreal about it that gave some tension.’

What’s in your wardrobe?

‘I always wear the same thing. It’s like a uniform. It’s the opposite of what I try to do. Because I don’t want to think about what I wear, it’s about what I make. It’s about the customer and about choice. I have a lot of light blue shirts, I wear tailored jackets, jeans, tailored trousers.’

Continue
Do you have a fashion memory that sticks in your head?

‘What made me want to get into fashion was Helmut Lang and Jil Sander. I adored those designers at that time.’

What about when you were younger?

‘One of the first items I really persuaded my mother to buy was a polo shirt that was yellow and navy-blue stripes. That was one of the first items I got that I felt really comfortable in and I wore it all the time. I must have been about 10. That shirt really made an impression on me.’

What was your childhood like?

‘Very happy, very outdoors, we were always making things; my father had a construction company so I was always building things. I love the smell of wood. There were animals around. I go back there three or four times a year.’

What set you on the path to becoming a fashion designer?

‘I hesitated between architecture, interior design and fashion because no one in my family was in fashion. I didn’t know anybody in the industry, so it was kind of a fantasy that was far away. Then, I went to art school, in Holland. You have a basic course where you do a bit of everything – drawing, fashion, sculpture. Fashion just felt like such a natural choice. I always knew I wanted to do something creative rather than taking over my father’s business.’

What did you learn from working at Dior?

‘That was the first time, for me, working in a luxury house. What I really learnt was about quality and with Hedi [Slimane, creative director of Dior Homme at the time] to be very precise, and demanding at the same time – to really go for the extreme.’

What is the dynamic like with Alber?

‘It’s a very trusting and open relationship [laughs]. It’s good to have someone to talk to when you have doubts. We really learnt to appreciate and respect each other. I think it’s rare in fashion that men’s and women’s designers are so close. I love Alber and I respect him a lot. So it’s very fruitful.’

How did you define Lanvin’s menswear aesthetic?

‘When I started I had the idea of making a wardrobe. It wasn’t about making a very fashion-forward collection. It was about what men need. We decided to develop a new silhouette in suiting and jackets; everything became softer, with less shoulder pads and a bit more generous in cut.’

How did you come up with the classic Lanvin trainer?

‘I wanted a trainer that was simple but luxurious. I wanted it to be interesting without being completely over the top.’

Why is sportswear the big message in menswear?

‘People always talk about sportswear, but it has nothing to do with sports. For a lot of men it’s easier to relate to things that are less formal. I don’t know a lot of people who wear suits. They wear separates – a jacket with jeans, a coat with a sweater. Men can more easily relate to a parka or a blouson. But it’s more about informal attire than sportswear; nobody goes jogging in our jogging pants – that would be very decadent.’

Continue
You said recently that men are shopping more like women now?

‘Women want the latest bag, every season they change, they want something new. Men were the opposite: when they found something that suited them, they stuck to it. But men go shopping now and they’re not afraid to say it. It’s not their girlfriend or their mother that’s buying their clothes any more. This kind of indulgence is new for men.’

Has the internet changed the way you design clothes?

‘Absolutely. When we do the styling for the show, it’s one thing to see it in front of you and it’s another to see it on screen as a photo. Certain things look very good on a photo; the colour pops out or it’s a strong print or it’s very graphic. You see things on Style.com and it looks amazing, but you see it on a person and maybe it’s not as good. So there is a discussion: do you design for the stage, for a photo or for real life when someone is wearing it? The most important thing, for me, is that people wear the clothes and not look like something out of a magazine.’

How do you relax?

‘Plants. When I get home it is the first thing I do, I check my plants. I have one called Elephant’s Foot that looks like a brain. I had it for a year and it didn’t grow – it’s like a wooden football, actually. It doesn’t have roots, it sits on a bed of stone and you have to water it a little bit every three months. It’s from South Africa. All of a sudden, after a year, something grew out of it.’

How would you sum up Paris in a sentence?

‘In Paris, you really have to look for things. Anything a bit underground, you have to look for it, otherwise it’s very cold. But under the surface, there is a lot going on.’

What’s going to happen in 2015?

‘I hope things calm down a bit. We’ve got to a point in fashion where everything is so fast. People are consuming so many images, so much information. Sometimes I think it’s too much. Reality shows. Famous people. We are so eager to have news that’s not news. You don’t have the time to think. As a designer, you don’t necessarily have something new to say every three months. But people get bored. I wish we could slow down.’

What is your best style advice?

‘Know who you are and don’t try and be someone else. The worst thing for me is to overdo it or to try too hard; that is the least sexy thing.’

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamal2isgood
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->