Lauren Parsons - Makeup Artist

Benn98

Reaction score
695198-500w.jpg

Lauren Parsons is an exciting artist to watch. Having already booked the hot new Calvin Klein adverts, numerous magazine covers and fashion shows, we knew that her twist on classic make-up would be a signature we will see a lot in the coming years. We spoke to her about what to expect for A/W16, her inspirations and her irreplaceable stash of products.

WP: How did musical theatre shape your love and appreciation of make-up?

LP: I would say the love of make-up came from my mom – even now, I don’t think I could ever love make-up as much as she does. She’s obsessed with beauty! Musical theatre certainly gave me an appreciation for the craft though, we did our own character make-ups, and whilst I was still at school my drama teacher put me forward for a nationwide Grimasmake-up competition. I can’t quite remember where I placed (I didn’t win, clearly!) but I do remember thinking ‘I quite like this’.

WP: Were you formally trained? If so, where?

LP: I went to the Glauca Rossi School of Make-up. I found the whole thing such an invaluable experience. I would recommend the course to anyone who wants to be a fashion make-up artist. I also met the person I then became First Assistant to there, Hannah Murray [Topshop Beauty’s Consultant].

WP: What excites you about make-up/the industry?

LP: I can genuinely say I feel so lucky to be a make-up artist in the fashion industry, I LOVE my job. Learning how to properly apply make-up on myself was a game-changer for me; the little things you can do to yourself that are unnoticeable to others but make you look like the best version of yourself is incredible. Make-up is such a powerful tool. What I love about the industry is the variety day to day; the amazing things I see, the brilliant people I work with, the places I visit on trips… Learning everything I can about my profession excites me too – new products, researching, finding new techniques, being inspired… It never stops.

WP: You’ve worked in fashion a lot, covering runway, editorial and adverts. Do you have a favourite medium for make-up?

LP: Not really, I like them all. I’m most at home on set doing editorial and adverts, I’m a very hands-on make-up artist, so I love that if you can see that adding something would make a shot you can jump in and do it. That’s something you could never do with film or [fashion] shows. I’m not a stress-y, shout-y person so I can enjoy the pressure of a show; with a great team behind you, how it all comes together in the midst of chaos is always exciting. Girls can turn up minutes before the show, everyone needs to do their jobs, you’re in a tiny space with backstage photographers everywhere… Actually, thinking about all that, maybe shoots are my favourite!

WP: Is there a look or style that you say you’re particularly known for?

LP: I’d say I’m well known for the skin I do. I’m almost fanatical about flawless skin because with the perfect base any make-up will look great. The Instagram inch-thick, multiple foundations base which seems to be the current favourite look is not my vibe at all. My signature style is “the hot face”. When I do make-up I want to make the person sat in front of me look like the girl that all girls want to be and every guy wants to be with, just intrinsically beautiful.

WP: If your kit got lost in transit, what would be the first products you would re-purchase which you can always rely on?

LP: I’d get MAC Face & Body foundations, Laura Mercier concealers, Garnier micellar water, Clinique chubby sticks, Nuxe lip balm… To be honest, most of my favourite products are things you can no longer buy, they’ve long been discontinued so it would be catastrophic. I’d be looking for a new style ASAP!

WP: What are your thoughts on the rise of social media and how MUAs can use or abuse it?

LP: I totally get social media from a brand perspective, and from a reference point it’s great. I’ve also found out about new products from people posting pictures of them, which is only a good thing. But, on the flipside, MUA’s can just post pictures of anything they’ve been sent rather than things they genuinely love… I’m also a little wary of the reality of some pictures after my friend showed me Facetune the other day and the lengths that someone will go to retouch a spur-of-the-moment image is crazy. I’m very old school, I was taught by Glauca [Rossi] to do make-up as if there was no retouching so that you’re the very best at your job; thankfully, finding your best angle on Instagram will never usurp talent but it could be a problem for the next generation of make-up artists who want fast results without the hard work. But then hey, I might be out of a job because someone with 500K followers can sell a mascara better than me. Who knows what the future holds?

WP: What’s at the top of your dream ‘to do’ list? Are there any particular artists/brands/photographers etc which you’d like to work with?

LP: I’ve ticked a few off the ‘dream list’ this year, working with David Sims and Joe McKenna quite a lot recently has been a make-up dream. You could work with them every day and still do something different which is amazing. I’d love to work with Missy Elliott, Lea Seydoux, Meryl Streep, Kristen Stewart, Joshua Jackson… There’s lots of people actually. In my dreams, I’d love to spend time with the artist Peter Doig, I think his colour palette, touch and work is just incredible!

WP: What is the best piece of advice you’ve received and who gave it to you?

LP: I’ve always been surrounded by kind, interesting and wise people who give out very sage advice but one thing I will always remember is something from when I was younger. My Dad once wrote in a birthday card to me that ‘it’s been great watching you suck the marrow out of life, long may it continue!’ Sounds a bit strange but I’ve always loved life – you should always live life to the fullest, experience everything you possibly can and just hold on tight and enjoy the ride!

Models.com/Warpaint Mag

Vogue Italia April 2019

Splintered Sunlight

Photographer: Christian MacDonald
Stylist: Francesca Ragazzi
Hair: Christiaan
Makeup: Lauren Parsons
Cast: Fran Summers
Set Design: Todd Wiggins

Vogue Italia Digital Edition

Another Magazine Fall/Winter 2018/2019

Even at the Turning of the Tide

Photographer: Colin Dodgson
Fashion Editor: Jane How
Hair: Soichi Inagaki
Model: Laurien van der Holst

AnOther Magazine Digital Edition

AnOther Magazine Digital Edition

US Vogue December 2018

State of Lace

Photographer: Colin Dodgson
Stylist: Camilla Nickerson/Michael Philouze
Hair: Jimmy Paul
Cast: Lara Stone

US Vogue Digital Edition

M Le Magazine Du Monde

Grand Soirs

Photographer: Karim Sadli
Stylist: Francesca Burns
Hair: Damien Boissinot
Cast: Alyssa Sardine, Mariam Eye, Olivia Forte, Hannah Motler, Licett Morillo, Isabel Jones, Britt Ensink

M Le Monde Magazine Digital Edition

UK Vogue March 2019

Ladies First
Photographer: Juergen Teller
Stylist: Poppy Kain
Models: Karen Elson & Shanelle Nyasiase
Make-up: Lauren Parsons
Hair: Rudi Lewis

UK Vogue Digital Edition

M Le Magazine Du Monde - 23 November 2019

Jeunesse Dorée

Photographer: Alasdair McLellan
Stylist: Suzanne Koller
Hair: Gary Gill
Cast: Assa Baradji, Maud Hoevelaken, Lys Lorente, Braien Vaiksaar, Malick Bodian, Josefine Lynderup, Sofia Steinberg, Sophie Martynova

M Le Magazine Du Monde Digital Edition

i-D Magazine Winter 2019:

'Balenciaga'

Photographer: Oliver Hadlee Pearch
Model: Bella Hadid
Stylist: Carlos Nazario
Make-up: Lauren Parsons
Hair stylist: Cyndia Harvey

artpartner

UK Vogue January 2020

Mod-ern Mood

Photographer: Matt Easton
Stylist: Dena Giannini
Hair: Panos Panadrianos
Makeup: Erin Parsons
Manicure: Gina Edwards
Cast: Vanessa Moody

UK Vogue Digital Edition

UK Vogue January 2020

Work Up

Photographer: Matt Easton
Stylist: Dena Giannini
Hair: Panos Papandrianos
Makeup: Erin Parsons
Manicure: Lolly Koon
Cast: Karen Elson, Luna Bijl, Paloma Elsesser, Taylor Hill, Meghan Roche, Joan Smalls, Hyunji Shin

UK Vogue Digital Edition

UK Vogue January 2020

Flights of Fancy

Photographer: Harley Weir
Set Design: Alice Kirkpatrick
Stylist: Julia Sarr-Jamois
Hair: Cyndia Harvey
Manicure: Sylvie MacMillan
Cast: Tehya Elam, Jess Maybury, Tess McMillan, Ariish Wol

UK Vogue Digital Edition

JW Anderson S/S 2020

Photographer: Tyler Mitchell
Set design: Andy Hillman
Stylist: Benjamin Bruno
Hair: Cyndia Harvey
Cast: Enonha, Djeneba, Krisha, Rose, Romance, Hamza, Jerell, Khalid

JW Anderson

Carolina Herrera Eyewear Spring/Summer 2020

Photographer: Javier Biosca
Stylist: Tabitha Simmons
Hair: Odile Gilbert
Cast: Giedre Dukauskaite, Julia Bergshoeff

NZy1krhd_t.jpg

Design Scene

Dazed Spring/Summer 2019

Saskia de Brauw

Photographer: Angelo Pennetta
Stylist: Robbie Spencer
Hair: Jawara
Cast: Saskia de Brauw

Dazed Digital Edition

Another Man Autumn/Winter 2011

Centrefold: Hollywood Babylon

Photographer: Alasdair McLellan
Stylist: Alister Mackie
Hair: Anthony Turner
Cast: Chloe Sevigny

Another Man Digital Edition

UK Vogue October 2020

A Stitch to Wear

Photographer: Harley Weir
Stylist: Julia Sarr-Jamois
Hair: Yann Turchi
Cast: Jay Jay, Jill Kortleve, Ceval Omar, Ariish Wol, AJ Yel

UK Vogue Digital Edition

UK Vogue February 2021

Brand New Ancients

Photographer: Rafael Pavarotti
Set Designer: Gary Card
Stylist: Kate Phelan
Hair: Eugene Souleiman
Cast: Adut Akech, Nyarach Ayuel, Akuol Deng Atem, Shanelle Nyasiase, Niko Riam, Aliet Sarah

UK Vogue Digital Edition

M Le Magazine Du Monde - 27 February 2021

Vie Active

Photographer: Sam Rock
Stylist: Suzanne Koller
Hair: Benjamin Muller
Cast: Freja Beha Erichsen, Anna Ewers, Kiki Willems

M Le Magazine Du Monde Digital Edition

Vogue Italia March 2021

Beauty: Adwoa

Photographer: Angelo Pennetta