Lisa Fonssagrives

iluvjeisa

clever ain't wise
Reaction score
Swedish born Lisa Fonssagrives (nee Andersson) worked as a model from the 1930s to the 1950s. She was married to photographer Ferdinand Fonssagrives, and then to photographer Irving Penn.

(divathesite)

Attachments

• lisaf.jpg
    lisaf.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
(operagloves.com)

Attachments

• lisafonssagrives-002.jpg
    lisafonssagrives-002.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 13
  • lisafonssagrives-001.jpg
    lisafonssagrives-001.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 8
  • lisafonssagrives-004.jpg
    lisafonssagrives-004.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 13
  • lisafonssagrives-017.jpg
    lisafonssagrives-017.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 11
I found some photos of her, as well as her sculptures (she was an artist). I read a quote from her in which she described herself as 'a good clothes-hanger'. She looks so icy and perfect, so it's nice that she had a sense of humour about her profession. *Some of these pictures may not be of her, I'm still learning to id. Source: vintagemagazines.com and Gatochy's photostream on Flickr.com

I just realized the first vogue cover and the photo with the opera gloves and lavender dress isn't her. It was taken by Louise Dahl Wolfe, and I don't know the model. Sorry! I'm not sure how to remove it without messing up the whole post!
Thank you for the lovely Thread, Jeisa

More photos of Lisa Fonssagrives.

Sources: www.fashioninsider.us, www.artnet.com, fashionablefotos.blogspot.com
Lisa_01.png

Lisa_02.jpg

Lisa_03.jpg

Lisa_04.jpg

Lisa_05.jpg

Lisa Fonssagrives-Penn, 80, Artist Who Gave Up Career as a Model

Lisa Fonssagrives-Penn, a leading fashion model in the 1940's and 50's, died Tuesday at New York Hospital. She was 80 years old and lived in Huntington L.I.

She died of pneumonia, a family representative said.

An elegant blonde, the Swedish-born model posed for some of the most famous photographers of the age, including Horst P. Horst, George Hoyningen Huene and Irving Penn, whom she married in 1950. In the late 1940's, when most models were paid $10 to $25 an hour, she was earning $40 an hour. When most models's careers ended before their 30th birthdays, hers flourished until she was past 40.

She was a frequent subject of Penn's photographs for Vogue magazine, particularly his studies of French haute couture. Alexander Liberman, the editorial director of Conde Nast Publications, which publishes Vogue, said the Penns represented "an extraordinary relationship between a photographer and a model."

"She was the inspiration and subject of some of Penn's greatest photographs," Mr. Liberman said yesterday. "She epitomized a very noble period of fashion and couture. She gave a classical dignity to anything she wore." 'A Good Clothes Hanger'

Lisa Fonssagrives had a more down-to-earth attitude to her contributions as a model. She was quoted in a 1949 article in Time magazine as saying: "It is always the dress, it is never, never the girl. I'm just a good clothes hanger."

Lisa Fonssagrives - Supermodel Numero Uno

Swedish-born Lisa Fonssagrives has a face that is synonymous with French and American fashion. Her image has graced more Vogue covers than any other model and despite the claims of Janice Dickinson to have not only been the first, but also to have coined the term supermodel, it was Lisa who can lay claim to that title - even though she described herself as no more than “the clothes hanger”. The term supermodel was actually dreamt up in the 1940’s by a journalist to describe the top models of the day.

Source: Vogue Espana Blog
Lisa_43.jpg

blogs.vogue.es/lavieenvogue

Source: BOMB Magazine
Lisa_56.jpg

Lisa_57.jpg

bombsite.com/issues/12/articles/645

Lisa Fonssagrives (May 17, 1911 – February 4, 1992), born Lisa Birgitta Bernstone was a Swedish fashion model widely credited as the first supermodel.

Fonssagrives was born in Sweden (variously reported as Gothenburg or Uddevalla and raised in Uddevalla.As a child, she took up painting, sculpting and dancing. She went to Mary Wigman's school in Berlin and studied art and dance. After returning to Sweden, she opened a dance school.She moved from Sweden to Paris to train for ballet (after participating with choreographer Astrid Malmborg in an international competition) and worked as a private dance teacher with Fernand Fonssagrives, which then led to a modeling career, and she would say that modeling was "still dancing". While in Paris in 1936, photographer Willy Maywald discovered her in an elevator and asked her to model hats for him.Fonssagrives' photographs were then sent to Vogue, and Vogue photographer Horst took some test photographs of her. Before Fonssagrives came to the United States in 1939, she was already a top model. Her image appeared on the cover of many magazines during the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s, including Town & Country, Life, Time, Vogue, and the original Vanity Fair. She was reported as "the highest paid, highest praised, high fashion model in the business".Fonssagrives once described herself as a "good clothes hanger".

She worked with fashion photographers including George Hoyningen-Huene, Man Ray, Horst, Erwin Blumenfeld, George Platt Lynes, Richard Avedon, and Edgar de Evia. She married Parisian photographer Fernand Fonssagrives in 1935; they divorced and she later married another photographer, Irving Penn, in 1950. She went on to become a sculptor in the 1960s and was represented by the Marlborough Gallery in Manhattan.

Fonssagrives died, aged 80, in New York, survived by her second husband, Irving Penn and her two children: her daughter Mia Fonssagrives-Solow, a costume designer, and her son, Tom Penn, a designer.

The Elton John photography collection auction held by Christie's on October 15, 2004 sold a 1950 Irving Penn photograph of his wife, Lisa Fonssagrives, for $57,360.

via wikipedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sfan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->