London Fashion Week T Shirts

Ariadne Grant

Reaction score
The writing's on the shirt

By Hilary Alexander
Last Updated: 2:59am GMT 13/02/2007

Video: Hilary Alexander at the Manish Arora show
Slogan T-shirts are spreading the style message at London Fashion Week.

But more than two decades after the designer Katharine Hamnett wore a protest T-shirt emblazoned with "58% Don't Want Pershing" to meet Mrs Thatcher at Number 10 in 1984, the messages are more comical than political.

advertisement
The young designer label, House of Holland, took to the catwalk yesterday with a series of rhyming couplets that poked fun at fashion supermodels and designers.

"I'll Show You Who's Boss, Kate Moss" was worked in pink jewels on a pink lame T-shirt, while "I've Got More Than A Handful For Naomi Campbell" was stamped on a rubber T-shirt.

The Canadian supermodel, Linda Evangelista, was acknowledged on a white Lycra dress, which read "Let's Play Naked Twister, Linda Evangelista," while the international catwalk star, Jessica Stam, the current "face" of Lanvin and Marni, was delightfully immortalised in the line "Wham, Bam, Thank-you Stam".

The House of Holland was started just five months ago by Henry Holland, a BA graduate from the London College of Printing. It has already generated a cult following, with sales at major international stores including Colette in Paris, Barneys in New York and Harvey Nichols in London.

The House of Holland was one of three designers showing on the Fashion East catwalk, sponsored by Topshop.

Earlier, the Nigerian-born designer, Duro Oluwu, used his collection as a geography lesson, stamping "Bamoko", the capital of Mali, which inspired his designs, on patchworked dresses in multi-coloured prints.

Oluwu showed tailored suits, long coats and layers of dresses to spread his message of colour and pattern in a mix of his own print designs and vintage fabrics.

Meanwhile Manish Arora blasted off on a journey into space in his fourth showing at London Fashion Week.

Robots, spacemen and astronauts cavorted in a futuristic fantasy worked entirely in multi-coloured, hand-embroidery and beading.

Other designs of space stations, satellites and UFOs were embroidered in old watch parts and tiny toy cars, collected from junk markets in Arora's home-town of New Delhi.

Robot-trousers were made from thousands of sequins, hand-folded into mirrored prisms, while coats were embroidered by hand with thousands of tiny Swarovski crystals.

From the telegraph

does anyone has pics??? would loooove to see them

here you are, I have a few pictures from style.com

00180m.jpg

00190m.jpg

00200m.jpg

00210m.jpg

00290m.jpg

00310m.jpg

00320m.jpg

^^ i've seen agyness dean wearing a couple of this tees... i think it was on the model streetstyle thread or something like that... i quite like them, they remind me of the "cause me pain hedi slimane" ones

^^ i've seen agyness dean wearing a couple of this tees... i think it was on the model streetstyle thread or something like that... i quite like them, they remind me of the "cause me pain hedi slimane" ones

Because the Heidi Slimane one is another House of Holland slogan!:lol:

It's amazing how House of Holland is already SO irrelevant...Gah, Ill sell my Ghesquiere tee on eBay.

These T-shirts were funny before but now I see Aggyness wearing a lot of them and they are too...overly trendy and they seem really try-hard and Im already bored of slogan tees I mean 'Save the rave'? Uhh....:rolleyes:

Thank you very much for posting mackos!! Does anybody knows where can I buy one?

It's amazing how House of Holland is already SO irrelevant...

I completely agree. Usually a label isn't considered passé the season after their first big "collection", but HoH really wasn't made to last a long time, I'm afraid.:blink:

^^ haha... they must really be irrelevant... i never noticed their "big collection" i always considered them, well not passé but yes, not important after all...

^Well, not 'big' but someone hosted a show with three different designers last season (I think) in London...I don't remember who, though.

I think most people realized that HoH had no lasting power and that it was 'over' before it even began to use simple fashion terminology. Honestly who thought that this would be cool after two or three people wore it? It's the novelty of it that people enjoyed.

And some of the sayings I think are lost on north americans and others....ie 'flick yer bean for agyness dean'

It's so funny... I'm SO over these shirts, and I have yet to even see one on the streets. I just see them on tFS and I'm sick of them. :lol:

does anybody know where i can buy one of these online? i wanted to get one for my friend. was there an alexander mcqueen one? thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->