Long Skirt

LeBonChic

Reaction score
I searched and there were none specifically on this so ^_^
I'm all in for long skirt, mid and full length but I find it difficult to pull off because Im short (5'4") and do not look very narrow (I'll fix this with diet but still...). I also see that this kind of skirt looks good in movement but when it stays still, I understand why it's a problem :shock:. So I think we'll discuss how to mix long skirt, how to pull it off, experience with it (moving in column skirt, keeping it in good condition, avoiding wrinkles...).

Welcome :flower:

5231246814_0459735d29_z.jpg

5231246666_ffa0227e95_z.jpg

5230655297_ae3afb0919_z.jpg

altamiranyc.blogspot.com
supermodels.nl
voguedaily

I think there might be a couple of threads on this in the Trend Spotting area, they've been trying to push it for a while but it's finally taking off.

I'm no help here as I've never worn a long skirt by the way, just adding my thoughts. :P

So many examples have surfaced but most girls end up looking a little witchy, or look like they wrapped a curtain around their legs.. only a couple days ago I spotted a girl (blogger! :ninja:) that I finally found lovely in the way she carried it.. a total surprise as I think her style is generally kind of corny, I guess it takes a style like that to tone down the severity of the long skirt styles that have surfaced.

this is the girl:

keywest3.jpg

[liebemarlene.com]

It has to be light and spacious like this to work in my opinion.. and I think her top sort of 'drowns' the emphasis on the skirt and makes it looked more balanced.. more about comfort and lightness than lengths.

I also adore this other look, that it's less voluminous but shorter, so the element of comfort is still there:

00350m.jpg
00820m.jpg

[style.com]

I'll probably be leaning on the last one more for next summer.. and also the fabric is uncomplicated. Pleats and soft materials are screwed when you sit for more than half an hour, a skirt like Fendi's is so thick you can control it any time. :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in order to pull off a long skirt it actually demands that you are tall (or that you wear very high heels ^_^), otherwise it will look mum-alike/out-dated.

^ that's the consensus but I'm not sure I agree, I'm on the tall side and even though long skirts look 'wrong' on me for self-conscious reasons that probably have little to do with reality, I do think that some girls of average height tend to pull this off better than some tall or very short ones. I know I've never liked any of the looks on Frida Gustavsson and (besides the styles she goes for) I think it's partly for her height (she's 1.85 from what I've heard), there's just too much fabric going on on a long body to focus on anything else. It sort of elongates the body in a weird way.

I think a petite girl could pull this off, even the 'lycra' looks.

I think it's more important that the proportions are right. I saw a girl the other day wearing one. She looked fantastic, even though she was on the shorter side. It was made out of some semi-clingy, but not tight, fabric--maybe a jersey blend?--so that there was some shape to it. She wore it a bit dramatic, to the floor, with a checkered scarf around her neck.

Come to think of it, though, she didn't look that comfortable in it. The wind was making the skirt tangle around her legs, which was pretty and sensual, but she kept trying to pick it out. :ninja:

Managing all that fabric is probably a bit difficult. I think MulletProof's observation about thicker fabrics is a good solution.

I think you can easily look shorter (if you're not very tall) when you are wearing a long skirt. However, I do see your point that how you combine it all together is also a main point.

Another aspect I want to add is that I'm already bored with the long skirt look or the transparent one at least. It's just everywhere.. I might change my mind though.

I wear long skirts every so often and I'm not exactly tall. Proportion is key, and if you're short a fuller (but still streamlined) rather than a column-like long skirt is probably best, and wear it with a much more controlled top, either a good tee with an interesting necklace/neckline (not a dinky pendant or chain) and maybe a cardigan or whatever else you like to make the top more interesting, or a fitted blouse. a high waist can be really lengthening, so you could do something with a thin belt on the waist - thick belts cut short people in half I think. I wear my skirts quite long, ankle length or longer, with flats.

hmm...interesting, proportion is the key....and i like to wear it high waist.

I personally love long skirts and have been wearing them more often (as it is summer in Australia) and I think I would have to agree with the idea that 'proportion is key'. However I think that the length is also another factor...

I wouldn't say I was average height (probably shorter than average) and I like to wear my skirts either at ankle height or just below the knee and I think it actually makes me look taller, any other length just doesn't look right.

I've been living in long skirts my whole life; the last two photos Bonchic posted, especially the last one could be me, in that I like wearing everything really long flowy and layered and falling with gravity to go with my waist-length hair. I love Mullet's looks too, very decontracté, laid back...:heart:
It's definitely all about proportion, but there are no rules...you really have to play with each individual item on each individual person. A centimeter difference here and there can change the look entirely.

Here's the thread on maxi skirts:

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f49/maxi-skirts-27868.html

I love long skirts but I really fall into the category of people who can't pull them off. I recently tried on the most beautiful Alexander McQueen skirt that was fringed and slightly puffy and it looked disasterous on me even though I'm not that short (5'7).

I really like long tight skirts like the ones from Rick Owens, Ann D., etc.

And I like these from Rag & Bone:

ragbabbeykiltforward.jpg

ragbedithskirtshopbop.jpg
ragbedithskirtshopbop2.jpg

forward by revolve, shopbop

And this sheer one on Abbey is perfection:

5017064722d1ce7aa6c5bal.jpg

altamiraNYC

I tend to like them paired with boots. And I like long skirts in sheer fabrics so they don't look so heavy and overwhelming on a petite person.

I really love all the looks in post #1, too! :heart:

I think a full-circle, bohemian-type skirt can make the wearers look short since it increases the width while column-type increases the height. Am I wrong ? How do you guys think Frida's skirt was tailored ?

If I want a "fuller" skirt, how should it be pleated ? I think a skirt with large gap between pleats is ideal since it creates "flare" yet doesn't appear to be made of too much fabric. I know this girl who is only 5'3" but her narrow frame helps to pull off skirts very well

20101118187.png

20101117142.png

2010102911.png

31611k8.jpg

sarah-lauren.blogspot.com

I think in order to pull off a long skirt it actually demands that you are tall (or that you wear very high heels ^_^), otherwise it will look mum-alike/out-dated.

I have always felt they work well on me & I'm only 5'5". I often wear 100mm heels, but not always. I'm long-waisted, so the long skirt balances the proportions & helps me look taller.

I like A-lines, and also skirts that are fuller but yoked. I do have some that are more a column, I have a knit leopard intarsia like that. Also a punched suede skirt that's more A-line ... the punching at the bottom lightens it.

I have always found them more comfortable. I think having my legs on display makes me self-conscious somehow ...

style

^ I have pix of one :wink: I work in high tech but am a total Luddite IRL :P (This is not one of the ones I mentioned btw ... this is A-line and has a lot of structure. Very heavyweight linen.)

Attachments

• bag2.png
    bag2.png
    244.6 KB · Views: 0
  • runway.jpg
    runway.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 0
I'm a big fan of long skirts, but then again I'm 5'10" and a slim pear-shape so I find them quite flattering as they skim over my hips/thighs a bit and just show off my height and thinner upper body... I find emphasizing a high waist (belt or a fitted jacket) and wearing very high heels helps make them more flattering.

me:
tumblr_ldejpsOCIn1qzsxa3o1_500.jpg

tumblr_l8videkLBr1qa9tozo1_500.jpg

tumblr_l0es0amuZj1qzsxa3o1_500.jpg

^ Very cute ballets! I like the way you make a long skirt edgy :wink: I can't really claim to be doing that :P That's OK ... my tongue usually lends an edge :innocent:

A long black skirt will be my ultimate must-have for Spring/Summer.

I think it's safe to say this sheer one by Givenchy is the most beautiful maxi skirt ever created:

givenchymaxiskirt.jpg

I also like this one by Lover and the one by Elizabeth And James:
lover.jpg
elizabethandjames.jpg

LuisaViaRoma, NAP, Revolve

I'd love to be able to find one that is flattering on me even when wearing flat boots and sandals. I also really like the idea of sheer maxi skirts but I can't imagine being able wear one without looking like a crazy exhibitionist. Maybe paired with a long loose sweater that will cover my butt? I don't know. But I do like that there seem to be a million possibilities how to wear long skirts. You can make it look romantic, gothic, edgy, peasant, hobo, etc. Plus I hope I'll be more motivated to finally wear some accessories because I think they're essential in making a plain black skirt work.

Why do I have the feeling we are narrowing down to only tight long skirts?
I believe that see-through long skirts are what most people that aren't so sure about long skirts go for because it makes a very different composition! It reads as whatever you wear underneath, but softer, wich is very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sighnvera
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->