Louis Vuitton 'Horizons Never End' S/S 2023 : Lionel Messi, Jackson Wang & Gisele Bündchen by Glen Luchford

In a word, banal.

Something about Messi's persona makes me feel like he's not a good fit for this brand. And that's not a diss of either him or LV, I just think they have very little direction and continuity when it comes to choosing spokespeople. The only common denominator is.... success? I don't know. I did love the ad he did with Ronaldo shot by Annie, but that had something to it and was thematically tied to Messi's reputation as a player. I like Luchford, he recently did great work for Gucci with Ryan Gosling selling the exact same type of products being displayed here, but in this case these are artless photos, looks like they were planned and shot in 5 minutes flat.

Is there any brand that throws more money away than LV?

I did love the ad he did with Ronaldo shot by Annie, but that had something to it and was thematically tied to Messi's reputation as a player.

I'd be surprised if Vuitton produces anything to beat that chess-playing campaign, it was serious and absurd at the same time, with the inspired use of the Damier pattern.

yes he's king and I love to see him smiling, but the way they elongated his leg is a tour de force :beamingwsmilingeyes:

What a snoozefest. Couldn't they have done something just a smidgen more interesting with him?

This is the most basic creative you could possibly imagine.

^ no! he’s super basic in a humble/heart-warming way. Can’t touch that!

And that's why this feels like a weird choice, to me. Him strutting through the airport in designer clothes and loud LV luggage just feels so.... not Messi. The part where he kicks the case in the video is cute, though.

He mostly wears designer clothes with logos [cause.. football player after all]. Maybe the suit is unusual if you've only seen him on the field and not at ceremonies, but he is selling luxury goods here, gotta clean up and ditch the LV beach shorts.

The legs are not elongated, they made them thinner because god knows fashion would be scandalized with the thickness of a football player's legs..

He mostly wears designer clothes with logos [cause.. football player after all].

Ok, sure. In a carefree "this sportswear brand sponsored the team and these are the clothes I was given to wear" way, not a "I'm a basic label wh*re and actively want LV iconography plastered all over everything including my soccer ball" way. That's my perception, at least. That his reputation for being a grounded, humble, type of person with no shame about his working-class roots is in opposition to the sort of nouveau riche "baller" vibe of these ads and of many of his peers.

The ad shot by Annie last fall felt more authentic AND successfully sold the luxury angle.

What a snoozefest. Couldn't they have done something just a smidgen more interesting with him?

He is THE Lionel Messi, for God's sake! (As one of the greatest football players of all time, he has won a record seven Ballon d'Or awards and a record six European Golden Shoes, and in 2020 he was named to the Ballon d'Or Dream Team.) Plus, he is SUPER hot! :redheart:

What else could you possibly ask for?

Ok, sure. In a carefree "this sportswear brand sponsored the team and these are the clothes I was given to wear" way, not a "I'm a basic label wh*re and actively want LV iconography plastered all over everything including my soccer ball" way.
Yes! in that 'I don't know what this is, my wife made me wear this' chill way of navigating wealth.

I bet he can't even name the suitcase, just the project he was asked to show up to at 8 am on x day. lol.

@Zorka we can't call him hot! he's our girl Antonela's husband. :speaknoevilmonkey::rofllaughing:

He is THE Lionel Messi, for God's sake! (As one of the greatest football players of all time, he has won a record seven Ballon d'Or awards and a record six European Golden Shoes, and in 2020 he was named to the Ballon d'Or Dream Team.) Plus, he is SUPER hot! :redheart:

What else could you possibly ask for?

My issue is not with him, it's with how they chose to photograph him. This campaign is so uninspired and cheesy

How about something iconic?! It's a wasted opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->