Man Ray - Photographer / Painter / Mixed Media Artist

I'm suprised 'The Gift' has not been posted on this thread yet..
gift.jpg

An iron is transformed into a new and potentially threatening object, by the addition of a row of nails. The nails and the evocation of desire, violence, and hot metal, suggest a paradox with the work's title, 'Cadeau' the French word for 'Gift'.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT] The idea is not only to make it useless, but also to counter its original purpose by an ambivalence of the senses. With his pioneering, experimental achievements and technical innovations, Man Ray became one of the only American artists who was central to both the Dada and Surrealist movements.

His advancement of Duchamp's revival of the assisted ready made, makes for an exceptional comment on Dadaist ideals, I love this piece for its simplicity and yet somehow through Ray's conception, complexity
credit: heyokmagazine

Thank you for this thread! I love all things surreal. I'm fascinated how placing attention on a typical but often overlooked part of the body, like the hands - a part almost always naked, as important to passion as lips, yet so often ignored or considered mundane - he could arrange such a sensuous piece.

I wanted to share some of favorite man ray pics:

artgallery.nsw.gov.au
artnet.com
columbia.edu
fabiolascully.wordpress
kyushu-ns.as.jp
rijkmuseum.nl
spc.fotolog.com
studiolo.org

Attachments

• artgallery nsw gov au.jpg
    artgallery nsw gov au.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3
  • artnet com.jpg
    artnet com.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 2
  • columbia edu.jpg
    columbia edu.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 5
  • fabiolascully wordpress.gif
    fabiolascully wordpress.gif
    241.6 KB · Views: 3
  • kyushu-ns ac jp.jpg
    kyushu-ns ac jp.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2
  • rijkmusuem nl.jpg
    rijkmusuem nl.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 4
  • spc fotolog com.jpg
    spc fotolog com.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 2
  • studiolo org.jpg
    studiolo org.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 3
There was a really intensive look at Lee Miller's work, and it shared lots of intel about she and Man Ray's work. I went to add the link after seeing the documentary that was posted to YouTube. I guess the video was requested to be removed from YouTube by the Lee Miller Archives. But, if it resurfaces, it was really interesting to learn about how Man Ray had apprenticed Lee Miller by her force. The ways they experimented with photographic process was so interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arshdaddy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->