Drew Jarrett - Photographer
Carolina Bianchi Prada - Fashion Editor/Stylist
Cecilia Romero - Hair Stylist
Pep Gay - Makeup Artist

models

Gucci S/S 2017 Milan (O)

vogue

Meet the Paramedic Turned Model Who Just Opened Gucci

Opening a show is more than just a lucky break, for many models it’s the moment that pushes them into the spotlight. To gain girl No. 1 status you have to impress the entire team, so those selected tend to be something special. Though semi-obscured beneath gilded layers of Alessandro Michele–designed frippery, Polish stunner Maria Zakrzewska’s appeal was plain to see this morning as she opened Gucci’s Spring 2017 show today in Milan.

Among all the tattooed, androgynous, bleach-browed beauties on the Gucci catwalk, Zakrzewska seems tame by comparison, but the medical student turned model just might be the most interesting member of Michele’s band of outsiders. Discovered in a supermarket at the age of 16, Zakrzewska initially found the prospect of modeling a little off-putting. “I remember that day very well because I got scared and I ran away!” said Zakrzewska via email just after the show. “My mother said that maybe I should try and it might be a nice adventure for me, so I listened to her, which is weird because teenagers don’t listen to their mothers, but I’m glad I did!”

Zakrzewska’s refined look soon landed her on some of Europe’s premier runways, walking for Jacquemus, Valentino, Céline, and Burberry before casting directors Barbara Nicoli and Leila Ananna plucked her for the Gucci spot. “Castings are just a part of my job and routine now,” said Zakrzewska, with the seasoned air of a veteran. “Nothing [about them] surprises anymore. I’m only excited when I’m visiting new cities, museums, restaurants, new people.” That adventurous spirit has served her well during her modeling travels, particularly when it came time to travel to New York. “I remember my first time in the city. I was there alone and my dream of being there came true but I still didn’t believe—it felt unreal,” said Zakrzewska. “I went to Brooklyn Bridge Park in the evening, and when I saw that view, I was speechless. I could compare it to skydiving.”

Now a fully trained paramedic in addition to being a model, Zakrzewska is the latest model balancing two very different careers with grace. With Gucci under her belt and her star rising in fashion, it may be a while before she’ll have time to put her medical training into professional practice. Meanwhile, when off-duty, she devotes herself to pursuits that seem perfectly apt for a Gucci muse: karate (which she’s studied for the past seven years) and reading (Michel Houellebecq’s poetry is a favorite). Modeling may have come by accident, but it’s a path she’s happy to take. “[Initially] I didn’t realize that fashion can be so interesting. I was surprised how complicated this industry is and how hard it can get,” said Zakrzewska, who has come to love fashion’s intricacies. “It’s inspiring! Meeting icons of this industry, seeing how this business works is amazing.”

By JANELLE OKWODU for vogue.com

The long studies explain why her career is only taking off now. Congrats to her ! She also did some shows in NY and London, I will post them later.

Jonathan Simkhai ss17 - New York

Sies Marjan ss17 - New York

vogue

Opening Ceremony S/S 2017 New York

3.1 Phillip Lim S/S 2017 New York

Gabriela Hearst S/S 2017 New York

Emilia Wickstead S/S 2017 London

Preen S/S 2017 London

Erdem S/S 2017 London

Mulberry S/S 2017 London

Paul Smith S/S 2017 London

Jasper Conran S/S 2017 London

Burberry F/W 2016.17 pt. 2 London

vogue.com, vogue.co.uk, nowfashion

She also did the presentations for The Row in NY (no pictures).

Ports 1961 S/S 2017 Milan (C)

Jil Sander S/S 2017 Milan

Gabriele Colangelo S/S 2017 Milan (O)

Elisabetta Franchi S/S 2017 Milan

Marni S/S 2017 Milan

Missoni S/S 2017 Milan

Dolce & Gabbana S/S 2017 Milan

vogue.com, vogue.it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members