Marie Helvin

Marie at the British Heart Foundation 'Tunnel of Love' party in central London (dailymail.co.uk:(

article-1388320-0C1F271300000578-550_468x633.jpg

article-1388320-0C1EBAD900000578-596_468x797.jpg

Vogue UK covers:

1) May 1974 by David Bailey
2) June 1974 by David Bailey
3) January 1975 by David Bailey
4) December 1975 by David Bailey
5) February 1976 by David Bailey
6) May 1976 by David Bailey
7) July 2007 by Patrick Demarchelier

ciaovogue, vogue.co.uk & scanned by Neyasnii Shepot

Thanks blueorchid for these stunning covers....Marie has such an exotic beauty that we just don't see nowadays.:heart:
Unfortunately by coming to her thread I have had to witness the recent pics above :shock: Holy hell she looks like Jackie Stallone...what the hell has she done?

Marie talks about that famous tan, as part of a UK Vogue article about new product formulations (typed by me:(

“I had a secret formula,” confesses Marie Helvin, when I quiz her now about her Seventies tan. “I used a mixture of iodine to tint the skin red and kukui nut oil that I would buy on Hawaii. The oil is quite thick so it gave a nice sheen to the skin – that's the shine you see in the pictures – but it's the redness of the iodine that made the tan look so deep.”

Back then, Helvin scooped all the exotic trips as she was famous for being a model who would turn dark brown after just one day in the sun. She had a genetic head start, having grown up on the beaches of Hawaii (Helvin's mother is Japanese and her father is Norwegian/French), however her secret formula secured her place on trips to Morocco, Tunisia, India, Australia...

While I enthuse about how those images inspired me as a teenager, Helvin laments, albeit good-naturedly: “That Seventies tan has left me with a face full of freckles and sun damage. I was on the Pill then, as were all the girls, and we suffered from melasma, this horrible pigmentation around the cheeks and mouth. Without make-up, I looked like Zorro. Bailey didn't like it because I was freckly too, so he made me use make-up to cover the pigmentation. But in those days, you couldn't get foundation dark enough.

“The worst thing was coming home – I couldn't be tanned for the pictures we shot in the studio as my skin came out looking dirty on Polaroid and colour film. We once had to use Grace's legs insead of mine for a shoot as my skin was so dark.” So on the last day of a trip, Helvin would stop moisturising. “On the plane home, my skin would get all crinkly and I'd avoid bathing for the next three days. Then I'd soak in a bath laced with baby oil and slowly start to scrape off the tan with my fingernails or a brush. There were no commercial exfoliators back then – it was years before Tina Chow turned me on to Clinique's 7 Day Scrub Scream,” she laughs.

“The only time I lie in the sun now is in my dreams. I live by the Thames and the sound of the water lapping must have some subliminal effect on me, so I often dream of being on a beach, it's just so pleasurable, that feeling of the sun on your skin.”

Posing for online retailer isme.com (dailymail.co.uk:(

Modelling in the Lingerie London show, held at Old Billingsgate Market (dailymail.co.uk:(

Polaroid by Tony Viramontes

Facebook.com/Tony Viramontes Fan Page

Vogue Paris April 1977
Models: Marie Helvin & Anna Anderson
Photographer: David Bailey
Hair: Jean-Marc Maniatis
Makeup: Jacques Clemente

ciaovogue.com

UK Vogue January 1975
"Fashion '75"
Models: Pat Cleveland, Marie Helvin & Unknown

ciaovogue.com

UK Vogue June 1975
"Summer Dressing"
Models: Marie Helvin & Jean Shrimpton
Hair: Pat

ciaovogue.com

UK Vogue July 1975
"Finds"
Models: Marie Helvin & Bonnie Pfeiffer
Photographers: David Bailey & Arthur Elgort

ciaovogue.com

UK Vogue August 1975
"The Not-So-Simple Sweater"
Model: Marie Helvin

ciaovogue.com

UK Vogue October 1st, 1975
"Furs for All Seasons"
Photographer: Eric Boman
Hair: Pat

ciaovogue.com

UK Vogue September 15th, 1975
"How to Make the Most of the Little That's Left"

Model & Designer: Marie Helvin & Manolo Blanik?

ciaovogue.com

UK Vogue September 15th, 1975
"The British Warm"
Models: Cathee Dahmen & Marie Helvin

ciaovogue.com

UK Vogue January 1975

ciaovogue.com

UK Vogue December 1975: Marie Helvin by David Bailey