Mark Romanek - Director

I

iamfashion

http://www.markromanek.com/index.html

amazing, amazing amazing amazing.
check out his website.
beautiful filmography (would he be called a filmographer?)
i know he doesn't have anything to do with the fashion industry really...except he is kind of associated with it by his trade...and he did the ads for ckone
here's his bio: born in chicago, illinois, mark romanek has directed numerous award winning music-videos for such diverse artists as: fiona apple, audioslave, beck, david bowie, johnny cash, eels, macy gray, janet jackson, michael jackson, mick jagger, jay-z, lenny kravitz, madonna, nine inch nails, no doubt, iggy pop, red hot chili peppers, r.e.m., linkin park, keith richards, and sonic youth.

romanek’s music videos have received numerous awards, including over twenty mtv awards, three grammys, a country music association award, and three billboard music awards. two of romanek’s music videos have become part of the permanent collection of new york's museum of modern art.

in 1997, mtv presented him with its video vanguard award for his overall contribution to the medium. it was the first time this award was presented to a filmmaker. (previous recipients have included michael jackson, madonna, peter gabriel, david bowie, and david byrne.)

mark has also directed many tv spots for such clients as: apple, nike, calvin klein, american express, espn, saturn, acura, and cirque du soleil.

more recently, mark directed the feature film, one hour photo, from his own screenplay. the film stars robin williams, connie nielsen, michael vartan, and eriq lasalle. one hour photo had its world premiere (out of competition) at the 2002 sundance film festival. the film received the prix du public, prix premiere, and the prix du jury awards at the 2002 deauville festival of american film.

romanek is currently developing several feature film projects, most notably a cold case, which will be based on the non-fiction best seller by new yorker magazine journalist philip gourevitch. the film is to star tom hanks, and will be produced by universal pictures and playtone productions.

mark romanek is amazing.
"filmographer" is not the right term...
He is a director... and he works with the best cinematographers in the business.
He has an impeccable eye...

ah, sorry about the wrong term. for some reason, the proper word escaped my brain...so i did the best i could come up with. brain fart. ah.
so anyone else have more info about this guy? i'm in love with his work.

I loved the Bedtime Story video, to me it was on acid but it worked, such a cool video.

One Hour Photo was an okay movie, the highlight was Michael Vartan's you-know-what...

ooh must watch that movie.
michael vartan is yummy. ah. don't get why jennifer garner and him broke up.

The best dorector my opinion i loveed

i figured i would post some of his work and give this thread a bump :wink:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f7iiF8U6y_U

Music Video for Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Can't Stop"

Wardrobe Stylist: Sarah Hackett

youtube

Last edited by a moderator:
Nine Inch Nails - "Closer"

Wardrobe Stylist: April Napier

The attached version is uncensored.. just a warning as it is a famously graphic video..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QWncI51ggH8

youtube

tons more... maybe i'll post some later if i get a chance..

he seems to produce very strong images...

i actually like a lot of the music videos that he has done, and didn't realize until just now that he was responsible for them...

Closer by NIN is my favourite video done by him. The imagery is amazing and works so well with song. Plus, I really love Trent :P

The Perfect Drug is beautiful as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k4KIHc9KHk

I should add that props from the movie Lost Highway directed by David Lynch were included in the video. The song appeared on the soundtrack.

En Vogue - "Free Your Mind" (1992)
Director: Mark Romanek

MissNeNe1000 @ youtube

k.d. lang - "Constant Craving" (1992)
Director: Mark Romanek

warnerbrosrecords @ youtube

Here the videography

Videoclips

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads