Bixby

bonjour antlers
Reaction score
Lovely up-and-coming actor who we'll see plenty more of sooon ^_^

imdb Bio
January 1, 1985
Hampstead, London, England, UK
5'9

Son of Academy Award-winning director Anthony Minghella and choreographer Carolyn Choa.

Currently attending Columbia University

Trained with the National Youth Theater in London.

Filmography

Art School Confidential (2006)
Max plays the part of Jerome.

Syriana (2005)
Max plays Robby Barnes, son of Bob Barnes (George Clooney's son).

Bee Season (2005)
Max plays Aaron Naumann.

(usaweekend.com)

The Max Factor

Actor Max Minghella reveals what it's like to make your way as the son of a famous movie director.

AT JUST 20, Max Minghella is one well-connected guy. Yes, as the son of Oscar-winning director Anthony Minghella ("The English Patient"), he has grown up on movie sets. But it takes more than a flashy pedigree to become the buddy of Jake Gyllenhaal, the protégé of Matt Damon and the guy Natalie Portman would date -- if she were into "younger men." (She's all of 24.) As the charismatic, curly-haired Minghella plays George Clooney's son in "Syriana," which opens Wednesday in select cities, we catch him on a break from classes in theater and sociology at New York's Columbia University. He offers this take on what's ina name.

MAKING HIS OWN WAY. Before this year, Minghella's on-screen career was limited to seconds as an extra in his dad's movies. "In 'Cold Mountain,'" he says, "I shot a gun for one of the sides of the Civil War, I think." He breaks that mold this month, playing Richard Gere's malcontent son in "Bee Season," about a family shaken when the daughter becomes a spelling bee champ. But Minghella has been trying for larger gigs for several years. "With a famous name," he says, "you have to work that much harder to get the part."

WHY CLOONEY IS A GEEK. In "Syriana," an ensemble "Traffic"-style drama about the global oil industry, Minghella plays another neglected offspring, this time of Clooney, a CIA informant. "He's not the kind of actor who's in his trailer all day. He hangs and jokes," Minghella says. "And we're both movie geeks. We talked camera techniques over dinner."

HAVING THAT DAD. An only child (he has an older half-sister), Minghella grew up in North London's posh Hampstead with his dad, who often was away on movie shoots, and his mom, Chinese choreographer Carolyn Choa. "I was alone more than most kids," he says. When Dad was home, "we would sit together at the piano, and he would play Cat Stevens and the Talking Heads."

BEST ACTOR GIFT. When Minghella was 13, Matt Damon, then 28, gave him a Super 8 video camera on the Italian set of his father's "The Talented Mr. Ripley." Minghella used it to mimic scenes his father was filming. "Matt is someone I learned from," he says. "He tries to live an ordinary life." Minghella is wary of celebrity. "If you're with Jude [Law] in London, you get chased by 20 photographers. I'll never be that kind of actor."

COLLEGE DAYS. Instead of partying to make the "New York Daily News" gossip pages, Minghella stays low-key. "I'm living in the dorms," he says resignedly. "It's depressing -- I'm older than my RA." He admits acting takes priority: "If ['Boogie Nights' director] P.T. Anderson calls tomorrow, I'm not going to say, 'Sorry, buddy, but I've got sociology class.' "

THE INNER POSSE. Minghella is close with Gyllenhaal and Portman, and he's friendly with tabloid favorite Law. But the young actor hopes to keep his personal life quiet. "I am a healthy young man. I'll leave it at that," he says when asked about his relationship status. Of course, if he wants a girlfriend, there's always Portman. "Max is extraordinarily handsome," the actress tells us. "If I ever go Demi, I'd beg him to be my younger man."

(pictures at fan-sites.org/max)

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 7179104isavedlatin212200644730AM.jpg
    7179104isavedlatin212200644730AM.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 21
  • bp00_t_artschool_9.jpg
    bp00_t_artschool_9.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 1
  • bp00_t_artschool_25.jpg
    bp00_t_artschool_25.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 5
  • dts0504-09.jpg
    dts0504-09.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 19
  • normal_Maxm02-resized.jpg
    normal_Maxm02-resized.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 12
  • normal_Maxm03-resized.jpg
    normal_Maxm03-resized.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 10
  • normal_dts0504-09.jpg
    normal_dts0504-09.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 5
  • normal_Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg
    normal_Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 21
  • vera7.jpg
    vera7.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
(http://www.fan-sites.org/max)

Interview: Max Minghella
February 14th 2006

The twenty-one year-old British actor Max Minghella is making impressive headway with his career. He's the son of well known Oscar winning director Anthony Minghella, but in fairness it seems that it's his acting abilities rather than his family name that are bringing him work.

Max MinghellaWhen Anthony Minghella's film 'The English Patient' won nin Oscars in 1997 he let his 12-year-old son hold his Oscar; fast forward nine years that son is landing major roles.

He's already appeared as a rebellious son in 'Bee Season' and played a small role in the politically charged drama 'Syriana', and soon he'll be seen as the lead in the forthcoming Terry Zwigoff picture 'Art School Confidential'. A lot of accomplishments for a twenty one year old actor.

Tom Brook: "How did you get into acting?"

Max Minghella: "I saw a play in London which I loved 'This is Our Youth'. It's a Kenny Lonergan play. I started getting obsessed with it and started doing all the parts and running around my house.

I decided I wanted to pursue acting and I went to the National Youth Theatre and I trained with them a little bit. Then everything sort of worked out very nicely and I've was very lucky that I've gotten to work with the people I've gotten to work with and it happened quite smoothly, very organic."

Tom Brook: "Did your father guide you into acting? "

Max MinghellaMax Minghella: "No, not at all. It's not really something we ever talked about. I was pretty determined. I think he was away shooting at the time so I just sort of went out there and tried my best and I didn't want him to be involved in any way in what I was doing, I needed it to be my own thing."

Minghella's appearance in the family drama 'Bee Season' was pretty high profile. Even though he was partly overshadowed by the very strong performance given by Flora Cross, who plays his character's sister, Minghella definitely showed he was in command of his strong skills.

Tom Brook: "You had a substantial role in 'Bee Season'; how did you land that part?"

Max Minghella: "I met with David Scott who directed the film. That was my first meeting ever on a movie and we just liked each other a huge amount. It just felt right, it felt like a good fit.

It was a long casting process, it wasn't an easy job to get by any stretch of the imagination, but I worked really hard for it. I was really determined to get the role. Thank god they took me."

Max MinghellaStephen Gaghan's politically charged drama 'Syriana' has a large ensemble cast, and the picture can be seen as a condemnation of the US and its greed for oil. George Clooney just notched up an Oscar nomination for his role in this film; Max Minghella plays his son.

Tom Brook: "Do you see 'Syriana' as a political film?"

Max Minghella: "I think it's undeniably a political film. Steve Gaghan, who made the movie, wanted to really sort of push his message, I think even further than he may even endorse his feelings himself, he really wanted to make a statement, which he does I think very well.

I'm incredibly proud of that film and proud to be involved in it and I think it's incredibly informative and entertaining and that's all you can ask for in cinema."

So far Max Minghella has taken on intriguing roles in non-formula films, and he's done well. It's hard to avoid the simple conclusion that he does seem to have a great future ahead of him.

MAX MINGHELLA: Mixing & Mingling
by Nancy Simon

Does being the son of a celebrated film director help get you started in the acting business?

Yes and no. It may get your foot in the door, but it still certainly adds to your cache value if you have talent and an alluring on-screen persona.

Apparently, being born to an Oscar®-winning director, you guessed it, the son of Anthony Minghella, writer | director of such critically praised films as: COLD MOUNTAIN, THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY, THE ENGLISH PATIENT, did play a role in jump starting dark-haired, 20-year-old Max Minghella's career as an actor – yet it was the chemistry between he and his fellow cast members and his inherent credibility as an actor that landed him his first significant onscreen role in this season's recently released BEE SEASON

When BEE SEASON's co-directors Scott McGehee and David Siegel, along with casting directors, Robin Gurland and Mindy Marin, were looking to fill the role of Aaron Naumann, son to Richard Gere's controlling father figure and Juliet Binoche's nurturing mother character, they wanted someone who would be a natural fit within the cinematic family dynamic. Having cast relatively unknown Flora Cross (bears a striking resemble to Juliet Binoche) in the lead role as the daughter excelling in spelling bees, they needed someone equally as fitting to play the overlooked son.

When considering Minghella for the part, they knew he had a legendary father, but were also aware he had never appeared in a featured role (he formerly only played extra parts in his father's films). As such, they were somewhat suspect as to how he would fare onscreen and in unison with the other actors. As it turns out, all were highly impressed with Minghella, Jr.'s innate acting skills and the connectedness that existed among Gere, Binoche, Cross and Kate Bosworth, who plays the girl who befriends him.

Continuing to build upon his list of credits, Minghella can also soon be seen in eagerly anticipated SYRIANA. Again playing a slighted son, however, this time the leading man | father figure is George Clooney. While the part is small, it offers Minghella an opportunity to appear in a film that has received favorable critical praise on account of both its topical political message and its high voltage power which, in addition to Clooney, also includes: Matt Damon, Chris Cooper, Jeffrey Wright and Amanda Peet.

Presently, a student at Columbia University in New York City, Minghella is studying theater and sociology. He first got the acting buzz while watching young upstart actors-Matt Damon, Jake Gyllenhaal and Hayden Christiansen-perform in a London revival production of "This is Our Youth."

Growing up in, Hampstead, a posh section of North London, Minghella is quoted in USA TODAY as saying on account of the fact his dad was frequently away on movie sets, he was alone more than most kids. Interestingly, it was during high school that he decided he wanted to act and spent time training with London's National Youth Theater.

While, at the time, it may have seemed like a genealogical decision, Minghella says, ''My interest in acting had nothing, really, to do with my dad. It was something I got interested in independently of him. It's a very big medium with different opportunities for everyone."

With famed buddies the likes of: Jake Gyllenhaal, Matt Damon and Natalie Portman, Minghella seems to be mixing and mingling within the film world just fine.

And, with a third film presently in production, that of ART SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL, directed by Terry Zwigoff (BAD SANTA, GHOST WORLD, CRUM:cool:, Minghella may just be coming into his own. This time out, Minghella plays the central character, Jerome, an art school student who finds fame for all the wrong reasons. As all of Zwigoff's films are quite colorful, this one which also stars John Malkovich and Anjelica Huston, does not appear to disappoint.

Though having grown-up around films, in most respects, Minghella still qualifies as a neophyte lead actor. Yet, off to a most impressive beginning, he has already worked with a stable of seasoned actors and seems to have the winning combination to continue mixing and mingling with the best of them....

INTERVIEW: Max Minghella Talks Art School Confidential
Julian Roman, Monday, May 8th, 2006

Anthony Minghella's son becomes a lead actor and a good one at that

Max Minghella has had an auspicious start to his young career. With three films under his belt, he's already worked with George Clooney, John Malkovich, Jim Broadbent, and Terry Zwigoff. Max is the son of Oscar winning director and screenwriter Anthony Minghella. I met Max last year during the interviews for Bee Season. Success hasn't gone to his head so far. He's still very much the genteel and soft-spoken introvert. Art School Confidential is his first leading role. He stars as Jerome, a shy art student at odds with his search for artistic success and desire to win the heart of the lovely Sophia Myles. The film is an adaptation of the Dan Clowes underground comic. It is his second collaboration with director Terry Zwigoff. Max comments on working with the pair, the definition of art, and what it's like to be an English boy going to an American university.

How did you get this part?

Max Minghella: I met Terry when I was shooting a movie in Berkeley. He lives in San Francisco and just happened by our set one day. We ended up chatting very briefly. He came to my hotel room. It was the middle of the day and I had all of the blinds closed. It was pitch black in my room. I think that won him over. We hung out and read the script together. That was it, a fairly simple audition process.

This is when you were shooting Bee Season?

Max Minghella: Yes.

How do you prepare to be an art student?

Max Minghella: I had about two weeks between Bee Season and Art School Confidential. I went to a bunch of student art galleries and I hung out with an art student. He stayed with me for most of the shoot and that helped a lot.

What do you think this film is saying about art and art students?

Max Minghella: It's a difficult movie to summarize because it has so many themes. I think the central theme is the difference between what you do and who you are, especially in the creative medium. Your work is so personal, where does the line blur in artistic success and what does that mean. How much of that are you responsible for?

Did it change your perception of what art is?

Max Minghella: It makes me think about more things. What makes something a piece of art was something I never really thought about. How easily taste is manipulated, there's a great scene where everyone displays their work. And they're all afraid to say something until someone goes, this is good, and everyone is "Oh Yeah". I'm like that too. We're all sheep and lemmings to some degree.

But isn't it also about getting women? The great thing about this movie is that he's using art to get this girl. Where's the artistic integrity in that?

Max Minghella: I think we all want to find the love of our life and live our fantasies. What art student hasn't used his art to get girls? What journalists or actors haven't used their craft as well? It's a very human instinct to pursue.

Do you think Jerome is a good artist?

Max Minghella: That's so subjective. That's what the movie is about. Who's to say that Jerome is a better artist than Jonah? I think Jerome is very confused and very ambitious.

Does Jerome sell out?

Max Minghella: No, I think he's making the best of it in the end of the movie. But I think that comes from the validation of success. The weird thing about acting is you're the most competent when you're at your best, but you have to be validated. It's a weird kind of vicious circle.

Do you believe in selling out? As an actor, could you turn down a huge, financially lucrative franchise? Is that selling out?

Max Minghella: Selling out, as I understand it, is doing something that you don't believe in. I don't think it has anything to do with what kind of film it is. I love Michael Bay movies. I don't think I'd be selling out if I did one. I happen to like his movies. I think selling out is doing something you don't believe in and you're doing it for a selfish purpose. Although you have to survive, I may have to sell out if I'm living under a cardboard box.

Do you have any artistic talent?

Max Minghella: I'm terrible. I'm useless. I've tried, but I'm rubbish.

How important was it to have Dan Clowes on set during the shoot?

Max Minghella: It's great to have a writer available to you if you have any questions. They [Terry Zwigoff and Dan Clowes] are very much a team. It was great to have as much help as possible.

What's your interpretation of Dan's drawing of you on the poster?

Max Minghella: I really like it. It's very similar to an initial drawing he drew, before I was cast, of what Jerome looked like. This is basically the same, but with bigger eye-brows. I like it, I think it's cool. It's a difficult movie to sell, so that gets the tone right.

How was it working with Terry?

Max Minghella: He's like a friend. He's a great director; he knows exactly what he wants. He knows what he's doing, but he doesn't feel like you're working for somebody. He really feels like your friend from high school is visiting the set for day. He jokes with you and asks you to buy him cigarettes. He's like a kid. He giggles behind the monitor. It's really nice not to be intimidated or nervous.

Did you understand his references? How did you know about obscure comics and the other really fringe stuff he's into?

Max Minghella: I'll tell him that I have absolutely no idea what he's talking about. He's obsessed with really odd jazz music. I'm not going to pretend or he'd find me out very quickly.

You've worked with some great actors in your career so far. You've got John Malkovich and Jim Broadbent here. What do you learn from them?

Max Minghella: More than anything I've learned their behavior. The people I've worked with have worked incredibly hard and are very serious actors. They don't f*ck around too much. I think that more than anything is the best influence.

What's Malkovich like on set?

Max Minghella: He's great. Of everyone I've worked with, technically I've learned the most from him. He's a veteran. He's very generous as an actor. He'll change what he's doing to help you. He's really fun to work with. Everyone thinks he's some crazy eccentric. He's not.

You're in school as well, having recently enrolled in Columbia University here in New York City. How do you like that?

Max Minghella: It's great. I just started and am doing the core curriculum now.

Do you get recognized on campus?

Max Minghella: They have no idea. I keep to myself to be honest.

How do you plan on pursuing your film career while going to school?

Max Minghella: A lot of organization, it's just logistical stuff basically. I'm a student primarily. I have to keep a check on that. I don't want to be forty-five and still a freshman.

What kind of stuff do you do at school for fun? Do you go to frat parties?

Max Minghella: I'm so disappointed in the frat parties at Columbia. I'm like an English boy going to an American college. I'm thinking cheerleaders, I'm thinking kegs. That's not what's on the cards. Thank God actually, then I'd never do any work. I'm pretty reclusive. I'm a homebody. I watch a lot DVDs. I don't leave my room too much.

What are you doing next?

Max Minghella: I'm shooting a movie right now in Austin. However school is definitely the priority right now. I'm only going to do something if I'm desperate to do it. That's my focus right now. I'm going to do movies in the summers basically.

Are you more interested in Indie films or are you thinking about the bigger, Michael Bay type movies?

Max Minghella: I have no agenda at all. I just want to do stuff I like. It can cost $200 million or $200 thousand. I've been lucky to get the jobs I wanted so far. I hope that keeps up.

Does having a famous director for a father help at all in defining what you should do?

Max Minghella: To be honest, we do such different things. I didn't even realize how different until I started acting. I don't think he has that much wisdom to impart. But as the son of a director, I really believe an actor's place is just to shut-up and do what you're told to some agree.

Doesn't the film you're working on now have a necrophilia aspect?

Max Minghella: It's sort of, but it's also the sweetest, pathetically sweet love story.

Between a guy and a corpse?

Max Minghella: (laughs) Here's what happens. Miss Texas dies, but doesn't really die. She comes to my mortician's office. I'm about to start embalming her. I give her a kiss and she comes back to life. I do nothing more. I give here a little peck. That's the somewhat necrophiliac aspect.

What's the name of the movie?

Max Minghella: It's called "Elvis and Annabelle". It's like The Notebook, a really sweet film.

Then it's back to school?

Max Minghella: Then it's summer. I'm half-Chinese and I haven't been back to Hong Kong in a long time, get some quality time with my mother.

(fan-sites.org/max)

I think he's very cute!!! Does he have some Asian in him? He kind of resembles a little bit of James Franco and Gael Garcia Bernal (no wonder Portman likes him).

nardwuar_luver said:
I think he's very cute!!! Does he have some Asian in him? He kind of resembles a little bit of James Franco and Gael Garcia Bernal (no wonder Portman likes him).
Thats who he resembles james franco i think he has similar eyes to him!!

Hey!

Hii! Im the owner of max minghella online.
I just posted a scan of him from the april 2006 Nylon Magazine. :smile:

and for nardwuar_luver: His mom is Chinese, so he's half Chinese. TOTALLY adorible.
You guys should all see Art School Confidential, I saw it yesterday, he is SO CUTE! :smile:

Yay!

Thank you, sunflowerdaze! And thanks for your amazing website, too! ^_^

I just saw Art School Confidential, and Bee Season with Max..he was very good in both...although is character in Art School Confidential became kinda creepy throughout the movie. Anyways he is such a cutie and I was just wondering if any one knew if he had an english accent or not.

He is so gorgeous and he is going to be BIG real soon! (I think:P)
Pictures from L'Uomo Vogue feb '06 and one from Vanity Fair march '06,
all from Max Minghella Online:

Attachments

• Max-4.jpg
    Max-4.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Max-5.jpg
    Max-5.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 7
  • Max-6.jpg
    Max-6.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Max-7.jpg
    Max-7.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Max-2.jpg
    Max-2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 16
And just to proof he doesn't only pout pretty, here are some pics of him flashing his gorgous smile (from Max Minghella Online:(

Attachments

• Max-8sm.jpg
    Max-8sm.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Max-9sm.jpg
    Max-9sm.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Max-10sm.jpg
    Max-10sm.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 3
Max Minghella Interview Magazine x4

(sorce hollywoodsbest.net)

Aw he is very adorable. I am loving the dark dark hair and dark eyebrows. I had a picture of him on my wall but had no idea who he was until a little later. I just put it up there in the first place because he was so cute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robert0199
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->