eyes: blue
agency: Select (London)
U4C3f.jpg

bSFCy.jpg

XDTsb.jpg

mlO9V.jpg

rYV8M.jpg

models.com

I assume you wanted this posted in the Supporting Cast section, not the ETC subforum?

You should contact a mod and see if they could move it for you. :D

Publication: GQ Italia
Models: Tom Lander, Danny Beauchamp, Maximilian Parsons
Photographer: David Goldman
Stylist: Iiaro Mori

thefashionisto

Name|Maximilian Parsons

Age|23

Hometown|London|England

1. How did you become a model?

Completely randomly, through a period of uncertainty, I was attracted to the prospect of spending my time in a different way. I don't know, basically.

2. This was your first trip to New York. How is it different from London?

Having only stayed in NY for two weeks, my perspective of it and its culture is rather naïve. I didn't get to experience the part of New York that might be the equivalent of the London that I know, which makes it harder to make a useful comparison. But there's an obvious, strong commercial aspect which seems to be more apparent in New York.

3. Prior to modeling, you were pursuing a career in the graphic arts. Could you tell us about that side of your life? Are you still actively pursuing that? What design aesthetic do you personally favor?

I am modeling at the same time as I am creating work, but at this point it's verging more towards art than design. I like to work with color as a basic form, to see what is says and how it might be seen. My work tends to be related to structure either geometrically or organically, i.e. digital mark-making, focusing on the medium or digital distortion as an aesthetic. I'm interested in the rawness of a material in its basic form. There seems to be something very honest about it that attracts me. An example of what I'm talking about is digital pixelation or the effect that wear and tear might have on a VHS video.

4. What's your design process for a given assignment? Is there a particular project you have completed that you felt is creatively satisfying?

I don't have a particular process other than starting with thoughts and building concepts rather than researching visually. I'm working with interactive visuals at the moment, which I find really satisfying.

5. London is a very progressive city in terms of design and fashion. Could you tell us, from your perspective, why London is always so ahead of the game? Are there creative talents we should keep an eye out from London coming up?

Maybe it has something to do with the history of the city or the creative London colleges which are very competitive...maybe this is encouraging? There are also high-density areas of artistic people, such as Bethnal Green or Peckham, where being progressively creative is important. These communities are substantial and inspiring.

I would recommend you keep your eyes out for a few:

Graphic Design—Jack Featherstone—www.jackfeatherstone.co.uk, hard digital and geometric stuff.

Illustration—Arran Gregory—www.arrangregory.com, amazingly detailed line drawings, often with a nice sense of charm. And he's made a stunning mirror sculpture that you should really take a look at.

Fashion, Menswear—George Alvin, George is a fascinatingly stylish male with bold visions, currently studying at St. Martins. He's working with drapery and is soon to graduate. I'm sure he'll be a favorite of photographers and stylists in the near future.

6. Being in the design/communication arena, how do you envision what the future will hold in terms of communications in the arts, fashion, and the creative world in general?

I think interactivity is probably a key word, in terms of interfacing and humanizing further the already powerful communication tools we have. Relating to fashion, off the top of my head, after seeing UVA's catwalk design for Y-3, you might question what a show can entail. I'm sure the catwalk for example could be elevated further into the technological world in terms of questioning what a performance is and exploring the live aspect of art or fashion. In saying this though, I think maybe the realness of life is already being grasped back at slightly, like the way some of us dislike the screen-based world and the Internet.

7. Who are some of your design heroes? Why are these creative individuals/design firms significant to you?

Tomato ( HYPERLINK "http://www.tomato.co.uk/"www.tomato.co.uk) is a great creative collective, I interned at their studio in London a few years back. Tomato is an example of how graphic design can cover such a large area in so many media at such a high level. They set a very high standard of thinking, this was quite overwhelming to work under but completely inspiring nevertheless. There are many others such as Glaser, Karl Gerstner, György Kepes, Ed Ruscha, László Moholy-Nagy, and United Visual Artists.

8. Since you are still in the very early stages of modeling, what's your view of the industry in general? What's your main objective within the industry? What would you like to see yourself achieve?

It's so different from what I'm used to. It's quite interesting when shooting, so far, and I like strutting about in fancy garments but I can see how it could be a difficult industry to work in. I don't have an objective, I'm just doing it! (Nike) Maybe work with some more good designers and photographers. I did a sl*tty kind of shoot with Mert and Marcus for W, they bleached my hair, that was fun.

9. People would be surprised to know that...

I'm actually not as much of a dork as I sound, my new hair cut says so. When I was in New York, the barbers shaved the sides off completely...thanks for that!

10. What are five places that you would definitely see Max in any given week? Why are they essential?

Five places I'm always at? They would be way too mundane to mention. Ok well, today I went to Peckham to dress up in an SS uniform and race a monster on a bike for a music video by my mate Hans Lo, was quite amusing. Primrose Hill to sing to the birds in the aviary—stress relief (I haven't done this). I often DJ, usually at the Old Blue Last alongside my DJ-partner Reynolds who is a banker, this is essential for the fun aspect of my life. Or actually, hanging in the Haggerston pub in Dalston for jazz, I like it there. My next venture planned is the Decode exhibition at the Victoria & Albert Museum, this is essential to please my eyes.

11. Your motto in life.

Live hard, die soft (not soft as in physically soft or fat, soft meaning to die peacefully)...I don't have a motto just yet, hopefully get one soon though! At what age do we get one?

johntancasting.blogspot.com

ASOS Fall 2010–Smart | Douglas Neitzke & Maximilian Parsons by Fergus Padel

Thefashionisto

I really like him! his asymmetrical nose makes him really really interesting! he looks so different in every picture :heart:

GQ Style UK Fall/Winter 2011
Birdman
Ph: Guzman
Models: Bradley, Maximillian Parsons & Nick Wilson

beforeyoukillusall

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back