Mcqueen Vs. Macdonald

ebowleg

Reaction score
I was thinking about Julien's departure, and was thinking about what the critics said he did wrong...His collections were too 'Givenchy', too Rock n' Roll, or he was trying too hard, but when McQueen put his Rocker edge spin on the house, it was declared brilliant. My question is, what was the difference between the two designers? Did they not know that Julien was known for his brightly colored, sexed up, rocker clothes, or did they miss that when they hired him...If I'm not mistaken, McQueen had some of the same labels about him at the time of his hiring, so please give your opinion...Please help :cry:

McQueen:
00001.L.JPG

00034.L.JPG
:unsure:

00003.L.JPG

i actually prefer the mcdonald examples to the mcqueen ones

mcdonald, no contest. I think McQueen did his worst (and he has done A LOT of bad stuff) work when he was at Givenchy. Neither of them really stuck to the clasic Givenchy model, but McDonalds stuff was much much nicer.

Remember that Galliano was on that house as well ...
and about comparison ... I'm not quite sure if we should do it ... everyone works differently ... oh! and McQueen didn't received praise on all his collections for Givenchy, he called his opera prima -for Givenchy- well, a piece of sh*t ... maybe that's what motivated him to work hard on this line, and with this I'm not saying that either Galliano or McDonald were slackers .. it just maybe that McQueen's vision "fitted" the brand best, or that his talent suited Givenchy's principles the best.
At the end, there are no better or worst designers, just different ... to each his own!

PS. About McDonald ... it seems that indeed, some coherence in between shows/seasons were much needed!

alexander mcqueen has an eye that macdonald does not. even though some of mcqueen's collections at givenchy were not his best, those collections still had a certain awesomeness about them. the couture collections felt like couture, real, unmistakable couture, and his ready to wear was actually enjoyed by many...the problem with both macdonald and mcqueen was that neither did a true "givenchy" givenchy. and they scared away a lot of the pure givenchy customers.

lvmh is not stupid. givenchy is not balenciaga and it's not chanel. in many ways it doesn't have the same flexibility those houses have. givenchy is not a house a mother buys her fourteen year old a sweater from. givenchy is mature, sophisticated, and not about fanfare.

Originally posted by mikeijames@May 3rd, 2004 - 10:11 pm
alexander mcqueen has an eye that macdonald does not. even though some of mcqueen's collections at givenchy were not his best, those collections still had a certain awesomeness about them. the couture collections felt like couture, real, unmistakable couture, and his ready to wear was actually enjoyed by many...the problem with both macdonald and mcqueen was that neither did a true "givenchy" givenchy. and they scared away a lot of the pure givenchy customers.

givenchy is not balenciaga and it's not chanel. in many ways it doesn't have the same flexibility those houses have. givenchy is not a house a mother buys her fourteen year old a sweater from. givenchy is mature, sophisticated, and not about fanfare.
I agree.

McQueen's best collection for Givenchy, ever (Spring 2001). :heart:

Alot of the silhouette's and detail here were to re-appear again in McQueen's work (i.e Spring 2002)

00006.L.JPG

(Remember that Spring 2003 dress)
00024.L.JPG

(Think Spring 2002)
00027.L.JPG

(Fall 2003)
00094.L.JPG

I didn't like either of them for Givenchy.
actually, Galliano @ the house looked better to me.

Originally posted by MissPurple@May 4th, 2004 - 4:28 am
I didn't like either of them for Givenchy.
actually, Galliano @ the house looked better to me.
ditto.

I prefered Macdonald at Givenchy overall, but I prefered his RTW over couture

I've included my favourites from each of Macdonalds collections

I would say its not really possible to compare Mcqueen or Macdonald to Galliano as he simply wasn't there long enough to see where it might of gone - I think he was there only 8 months?

Worth mentioning that under Macdonalds reign Givenchy accessories were a real success, remember the Macrame bag and the pumpkin bag

Here's his farewell F/W 05 coillection

I think the F/W 04 one is the most "Givenchy" collection Macdonald has done.

One more from S/S 02 - it was my favourite of all Macdonalds collections

I agree that McQueen's Spring 01 collection for Givenchy was his best, and Fall 03 for MacDonald, but what I still do not understand is why they would hire people that are known for outlandish designs...Maybe Galliano, and McQueen hadn't established their signature looks yet, but what about MacDonald? What did they expect? :innocent:

I actually loved some of the things McQueen did at Givenchy. Those first few examples shown were from his last collection which was kinda "last hoorah" if u know what I mean. He actually did some really beautiful things while he was there......case in point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->