men's scarves

soup

Reaction score
I was at Urban Outfitters the other day and they had these really cool, crocheted, raw edged scarves for men.
I loved them and I'd like to get something similar for my boyfriend for Christmas.
I don't want to buy from Urban, though, I'm big on indie designers. Can anyone recommend some places the make mens scarves that are really different? If there are non-wool options that would be great, too, he's allergic.
I already checked virgin threads.
Thanks!

What about thrift shops? they have really cool, vintage worn in looking scarfs... it's the way to do it, and its cheap.

If you loved the ones in Urban, why not just get one of those?

Comme des Garcons does a lot of scarves and sweaters in acrylic, and that would definitely be something different. There are a few cute ones up on Yoox.com right now, or if you're lucky enough to have a local stockist of Comme des Garcons, you could try there. Here are pictures of the ones on Yoox:

460138923H_2.jpg
460138911F_2.jpg
460138941P_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, aloharag.com has these nifty polyester scarves by Henrik Vibskov (a Danish designer:(

desertscarfblua.jpg
desertscarfblud.jpg

desertscarfreda.jpg
desertscarfredd.jpg

YSL has great scarves this season... theyre huge...

Attachments

• dscf0171 (2).jpg
    dscf0171 (2).jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 3
Thanks a lot for the ideas. I don't see quite what I'm looking for yet, but I will check out what else those designers/shops have.

I would rather not get the one from Urban because I'd prefer it be from a small independent label, handmade, not mass produced. So does my boyfriend.
It's really easy to find stuff for women, but not men when it comes to scarves. Or, I'm just a bad searcher. heh.
Urban is acceptable, but a last resort, if you will.

soup said:
Thanks a lot for the ideas. I don't see quite what I'm looking for yet, but I will check out what else those designers/shops have.

I would rather not get the one from Urban because I'd prefer it be from a small independent label, handmade, not mass produced. So does my boyfriend.
It's really easy to find stuff for women, but not men when it comes to scarves. Or, I'm just a bad searcher. heh.
Urban is acceptable, but a last resort, if you will.

Where do you live?

Connecticut. :\ Not your coolest shopping state. Online shopping is key.

Wel, most designer scarves are going to be manufactured to some degree, even if they're not really "mass produced". It's rare to see them 100% handmade, even with a smaller designer like Vibskov.

When it comes to actual handmade stuff, the vast majority of the scarves I see tend to be wool, unfortunately. Not many craftspeople are into synthetics like polyester or acrylic. You might manage to find something nice made of cotton or silk, but they're not going to have the warmth of wool or acrylic.

I did find this though, whilst googling for handmade silk & cotton scarves - it's a UK site that will actually make your guy a custom silk scarf in whatever design he chooses. You just buy the "gift pack" and then he gets to design it himself...pretty cool idea.

http://www.i-candi.co.uk/silkscarvesformen.htm

You might also see if there's a local chapter of Craft Mafia or Stitch & b*tch in your area - you could probably find someone who would make a bespoke scarf for you that way.

Martin Margiela has some very, very nicely made handknitted skarves this season in his menswear collection... they are quite long and of superb, thick quality yarn, that kind of wool that hardly ever pills, it´s also fringed at the edges... they come in a selection of good colours, burgundy, bright red, off white/cream and black and retail for around 175 € or around 200 dollars.

Oh, and with regards to the CdG skarves... we´ve had those in store and although they were very inexpensive, they were also not so nice quality due to the 100% acrylique... they are basically just the designer version of a football skarf :/

I love huge vintage scarfs. I come from michigan so it's funny to see people getting into them whenI've loved them for years....

I'm making my own in thin, soft alpaca wool: double ply because it's so thin.
It's kind of compact, but still a bit fluffy. About 32 cm wide, roughly 130 cm long at the moment. I consider it an experiment: so far I'm very pleased. :woot:

Detail, a bit grainy:

Attachments

• DSC00010.JPG
    DSC00010.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 1
Nice, tott. :smile:
I have one which I made by myself but it's horrible. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member