* lets dicuss

http://www.director-file.com/gondry/contents.html

bjork's human behavior..

CiH.jpg

CiF.jpg

bjork's hyperballad

CivC.jpg

CivH.jpg

The only thing I've ever seen by him is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (one of my favorite movies:heart: ) I love to see more of his work. What would you reccomend?

apparently human nature is good, but i haven't seen it. his work is like lucid dreaming. you should check out that website i posted, also go to yahoo.com and click on videos and check out his mad world music video. he is in the process of a few movies: first one the science of sleep is described as this:

"It's about conquering your dreams," he said of the story, in which the hero "can't wake up any more because the people in the dream don't want him to leave the dream, and they hold him as a hostage. There's a guy who commits murder in his dream but with an electric shaver. An electric shaver becomes huge and shaves everything in sight."

it stars gael garcia and charlotte gainsbourg, and it's it post production right now.
he is also working on a film w/ dave chappelle that mos def, lauryn hill, common, erykah badu and others are in...

the last movie, master of space and time is based on a book about two mad scientists who figure out how to control reality. it will be released in 2006.

*raises hand* :P

i love his music videos. as with jonathan glazer, i was a long time fan and i never knew they'd also direct movies.
i loved eternal sunshine, i bought it but after watching it more than 10 times..i can fairly say it's my least favorite movie of recent years. :lol:

cant wait for the science of sleep to come out. :doh: :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed this thread. I've that dvd (well the collection one with another for Spike Jonze and Chris Cunningham)

All his videos are a pleasure, but especially Bjork's, White Stripes - Fell in love with a girl and of course, Chemical Brothers - Let forever be. Love how he approaches videos mathematically - spending months making the White Stripes lego formation. And his use of symmetry in Let forever be - The video that other video directors are still trying to figure out how its made :P

letforeverbe.jpg

human nature is really good! i loved it. i love his style..it's so aesthetic without being overly intellectual.

i also have the collection of dvds (well, i share them with my boyfriend). it's a wonderful set!

it is hard to choose a favorite among his music videos, but i would say i have a soft spot for bjork's hyperballad, daft punk's around the world (so uplifting) chemical brother's star guitar (the one w/ the view of the speeding landscape) and cibo matto's sugar water.

DxxxiiiH.jpg

here's a description of the video:

By performing only one take, Gondry bases the video in real-time. Yet Gondry flips you around by having the story explained both forwards (on the left side of the screen) and backwards (on the right side). At first this isn?t apparent, but the viewer discovers this later.
The story begins with both Yuka (left) and Miho (right) getting out of bed. They take showers (water and sugar, appropriately), dry off, put on their clothes, and head outside of their apartments. As you hear ?black cat? in the song, a black cat hops out of the wall like some bit from Alice in Wonderland. The plot thickens as Miho sends Yuka a ransom note from the other side of the screen.
They head outside: Yuka into her car, Miho with her helmet. But Yuka soon slams on her brakes, and hits something off-screen. Surprised, she exits the vehicle and approaches Miho laying on the sidewalk. Before you know it, there?s Miho?s ransom note on both sides of the screen.
?You Killed Me,? reads its cryptic message.
Suddenly things are different. The video now moves in reverse, and on opposite sides of the screen. Miho suddenly recites the lyrics as Yuka drives her car backwards. Again they reach their apartments and exchange the note. Again the black cat crosses their paths.
While it looks like the story is going in reverse, really the story is continuing. Miho and Yuka are going home and getting ready for bed. They take their ?sugar, water showers,? put on their nightgowns, and fall asleep in the same dream they woke up in.

http://www.director-file.com/gondry/Dxxxiii.html#

travolta said:
apparently human nature is good, but i haven't seen it. his work is like lucid dreaming. you should check out that website i posted, also go to yahoo.com and click on videos and check out his mad world music video. he is in the process of a few movies: first one the science of sleep is described as this:

it stars gael garcia and charlotte gainsbourg, and it's it post production right now.
he is also working on a film w/ dave chappelle that mos def, lauryn hill, common, erykah badu and others are in...

the last movie, master of space and time is based on a book about two mad scientists who figure out how to control reality. it will be released in 2006.
Thanks for the reccomendations. I'll check them out. His upcoming work sounds really good. I can't wait:flower:

Wow, i didn't know he did all those film clips- what an impressive body of work. I knew he worked with Bjork, and the White Stripes, and did Kylies (which I still don't understand- if anyone cares to shed some light...)

His film clips make such an impression. I didnt know he did Sugar Water, Around the World, Music Sounds Better With You, Let Forever Be or Deadweight but have always remembered and loved those videos.

I love that he doesn't impose his vision on the artists, but rather tries to gain inspiration from their music, to express their vision. He is the antithesis to someone like Hype Williams, whose clips you can pick a mile off, because you associate his work more with the artists than him since each piece of work stands alone.

I loved eternal sunshine, but really didn't think he did a good job with human nature. It's interesting that both he and Spike Jonze (who is also responsible for some fantastic music videos) chose to collaberate with charlie kauffman for their all feature films that have been released so far.

^ i'm not sure what you mean about kylie, but i actually think the video is quite good. very catchy...i like t0 listen to kylie as a pick me up :P...anyways, i think he did that in the early/ middle of his career

no, i wasn't being a snob! i saw an ad for a doco on the making of "Come into my world" a while ago on MTV, and they said it would reveal what the point of the clip was and that Gondry's 4 Kylies were ingenius, and i meant to watch it, but i missed it. i like the clip, but i have been wondering what it means every time i have seen it since. that is what i meant by my comment. no disrespect to kylie or michel!

i never saw this thread
:heart: gondry
like you said, it's a parallel universe

five dreams in eight frames for björk's book:
Five-Dreams2.jpg

Five-Dreams1.jpg
Five-Dreams3.jpg

^ oh, ok flick :lol: .... sorry i misread you. :blush: i found a description of the video off that site
http://www.director-file.com/gondry/Dxlvii.html

Kylie Minogue's album Fever spawned the huge international hits (even in America!) "Can't Get You Out of My Head" and "Love at First Sight." Both singles were given prime, futuristic videos by creative directors. For the album's third video "Come Into My World," Michel Gondry brings Kylie down to present-day Earth - well, France, to be exact - and updates his concept for Neneh Cherry's "Feel It" to create a stunning visual story.
The video was an elaborate, expensive production. Shot in the Parisian suburb of Boulogne, in an area called Point du Jour, the video required the area to be closed off and manned by 50 extras (including actress Sacha Bourdo.) Filmed by a large motion control rig, Kylie Minogue walks around town, amidst the townsfolk busy with their own lives. As the song progresses and the chorus repeats, she returns to the point where she began and is joined by another Kylie. This continues, and by the end of the video there are four Kylies, as well as multiples of all the townsfolk.
"Come Into My World" is a better execution of the concept Gondry first used in his Neneh Cherry video, where Neneh was replicated as she walked down a likewise- replicating city block. Perhaps this time the technology and technique were ready. Apparently it took fifteen takes until everyone was satisfied with Kylie's video. After the Sept. 7 rehearsal and Sept. 8 shoot, 15 days of special effects were performed by Olivier "Twist" Gondry and his Twisted Labs, with post by Mikros and Duran.
While "Come Into My World" shows that, yes, four Kylies is pretty neat, it especially highlights the spirit and comedy of humanity. The townsfolk are a colorful lot: A woman throws her recent ex-boyfriend's belongings onto the street below. A fight ensues over fallen motorcycles. A woman hops playfully on some concrete cylinders. A man pastes posters onto a wall. Try walking down your main street and notice similar traits in the folks of your town. (You can sing "I need your loooove" too if you want.) The truth is that these things are visible in any town. Gondry has an incredible ability in his work to show how dynamic and interesting we are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->