Miuccia Prada - Designer, Creative Director of Prada & Miu Miu

continued...

Then, the night before the show, Prada insisted upon a change that clarified the entire collection for her. “I went there and [the hair] is too big and I say, ‘Tie the hair.’ By pulling it aside, everything became German. It was so obvious. I saw at this point they all looked like after the war; the red suit became completely Forties. That is the interesting part. You do it and with a little change you see the whole thing differently, and you say, ‘Maybe that’s what I had in mind since the beginning….’ So the heavy wool was not country anymore but postwar and more serious.”

Power dressing, including a strong Forties shoulder, has a deeply entrenched place in fashion. WWII-era German themes, not so much. Yet Prada has mined the turf at least twice, first for fall 1994, when W’s sister publication, Women’s Wear Daily, noted that her austere uniform suits “made the world’s supermodels look like Hitler’s steno pool.” (Would that this writer could claim the line.) Dangerous territory indeed, while speaking to Prada’s particular genius. That she can approach the precipice of the outrageous, and shape the trip into the stuff of mainstream if high-minded fashion, fuels her fascination factor—in part. Although in her decades as a ready-to-wear designer Prada has braced for urban carnage, gone orange and brown ugly and pinup Forties, sans skirts or pants, she has also elevated the mundane—geek wear, bourgeois French dressing, the stuff of Granny’s attic—to outré levels. The only thing one can expect from a Prada show is its unpredictability. Her ability to shock, astound, mesmerize and influence after so long a time in fashion’s forefront often leaves competitors shaking their heads.

Not that Prada acknowledges the competition. When asked about colleagues they admire, most designers will come up with some names, at the very least those safe havens Martin Margiela and Rei Kawakubo. But not Madame Prada. “I’ve said before but not now,” she deflects, though she does offer a nonfashion nod toward one designer with whom she recently rubbed elbows: “I have a mutual respect for Marc Jacobs. We worked together in Venice. He’s nice.”

As praise for peers goes, that’s about it. One might assume that Prada finds it impolitic to compliment the competition were she not just as reluctant to voice favor in other arenas. For example, she recounts her pleasant surprise at sightings of creative good taste at the Biennale—“six girls, really well dressed. I have to say, really very nice.” Yet while some of the women are celebrities, she won’t go public with names. Or outfits. Before describing one woman’s particularly interesting ensemble, Prada goes off the record: “Don’t write it down.”

Such caginess is part of Prada’s complexity. Never a party-hearty type, or at least not since she became famous, she has long acknowledged that her homebody preferences were acquired by choice. “Before I had kids, I was out every night of the week,” she told W in 1996. “Now I want to create a real home for the boys, so I bring my social life in.” Fair enough.

But with her sons now 19 and 20 and seemingly past the protection-needed phase, she declines to mention their names (Giulio and Lorenzo), which have been previously published. She does, however, say they now wear her clothes, which has piqued her interest in men’s wear—including the importance of perfect fit—until recently not the business’s most compelling area for her: “I have completely different eyes. Men’s jackets have the most boring stuff, a little bit more short, a little bit more big, a little bit more small. You develop a perfect eye, but it’s really boring. It becomes when you are really involved that you really care. Basically, I found out for my kids. Otherwise when I do the fashion shows myself, I’m more interested in the idea than actually if something fits or not fits. I never care. I care most if I like the idea.”

While mum on her boys’ names, she’s proud of their outspokenness, even when it’s directed at her. “I have to say that my husband and my children are so tough, there really is no space for pretension,” she comments. “We are all tough to each other.” And, she adds, “everybody is principled.”

As an example, Prada relates their horror at her decision not to vote during Italy’s most recent election. “My son criticized me. ‘You’re not coming? You’re not going to vote?’ So I have to justify,” she says. (Which she does; the woman who once famously attended Communist party meetings done up in Yves Saint Laurent noted dissatisfaction with the options.) “Of course, because I always taught them principles and the idea of [the importance of] politics, if they see in myself a false step, they become…. I know it was wrong. I should have gone.” (As for her views on Barack Obama, while so many Europeans in fashion are enraptured, Prada takes a more measured view: “Let’s see what he does. Of course, he’s a hope for everybody.”)

That her sons feel free to express themselves should come as no surprise, parented as they are by two strong-willed, opinionated people. Their father, Patrizio Bertelli—Prada refers to him alternately as “my husband” or “Bertelli”—the company’s CEO and chairman, is known within the industry as much for his volatility and his years-long flirtation with an IPO as for the expansion of his wife’s family’s company under his direction. Recently, in Italy, he has turned tabloid subject as well, having been photographed in a subway station with an unidentified blond woman, the two looking quite cozy.

“Gossip—gossip is everywhere, so what do you do?” Prada responds to a general query. “Of course, I pay attention, but after, what do you do? Nothing.”

Similarly, she admits to paying attention to reviews. “I don’t believe that anyone is not bothered by critics. I think that everybody cares,” she says, but stresses that she does not let criticism alter her approach to her work. “There is a difference between caring and really being changed by it, okay? I care because, of course, I am a human being. That doesn’t mean that I work for appreciation. I work for my ideas and doing what I believe in. But when somebody says that I did a horrible show or that was ‘ehh,’ I’m not happy. This, I think, is just a question of honesty, which is very different from behaving for appreciation. That I don’t do at all.”

Nor will she allow the economic crisis, which has taken its toll on her company’s profits, to dampen her artistic resolve. For the fiscal year 2008, Prada SpA, which owns Prada, Miu Miu, Car Shoe and Church, listed a 22 percent drop in earnings. The group did not break down numbers by individual businesses. “The only difference that I noticed is that you have to be more and more yourself,” she insists. “What is really selling is what is really Prada. You can’t do some generic bulls---.” Nor can you ignore the basics. Prada cites—and her die-hard customers will concur—“the perfect sweater, the perfect black dress, the perfect coat” as being as integral to her ethos as the high-profile runway fare that instantly flags a woman’s au courant sartorial status from one season to the next. “Sometimes you do too much fashion and forget the basics,” she says.

“When you say ‘commercial,’ it shouldn’t be an insult, like something is not beautiful,” she continues. “It has to be best in the sense that [it’s] really what people want to wear to look beautiful and elegant [in]. I wouldn’t have been thinking of all this stuff if there was not a crisis. The crisis obliges [us] to really focus also on what really makes sense.”

Prada credits Bertelli with keeping her focused on the real-world needs of the moment. He has “an incredible eye on what happens in society and so on,” she says. Which is not to say he injects himself into the design process at all; he doesn’t. He does, however, handle the hiring, even when it comes to Prada’s design assistants. “At the end, it’s more or less me” who designs the collections, she explains, adding that she has little patience for the hiring process and that Bertelli has a better radar for talent. Besides, except for a few close relationships—she mentions PR director Verde Visconti—Prada keeps a deliberately cool distance from her staff. “I decided not to care,” she explains. “If you become so aficionado, too affectionate, and they leave, you suffer. Of course, I have a few people in the company that are very near to me. But the others, you know that they come, they want to do a career and they leave, and so you have to learn not to suffer.” Perhaps not surprisingly, then, some former staffers consider the house of Prada not the warmest of workplaces. The designer takes a similarly dispassionate view of the girls who walk her show, considered one of modeling’s plum assignments. For spring, her impossibly high, clunky shoes proved too challenging. At least one girl fell, and numerous others wobbled their way around the winding runway looking terrified. Postshow, Prada sounded more bemused. “I liked it,” she said, smiling, careless of her teen models’ obvious anxiety. “It made the show more interesting.”

Staying interested rates high on Prada’s priority list, including when it comes to getting dressed. Then one of the greatest designers in the world becomes Everywoman, tackling indecision and insecurities. “The more important is the occasion, the [more] last-minute I dress,” Prada says. “It’s important that you feel right, so I use an instinct at the last moment. What I think is unbearable is to wear something that we don’t feel comfortable in. It’s completely, totally psychological. One dress you felt so happy in for that day and that occasion, you put it on in another moment and all the magic is completely disappeared. There is a very tricky [relationship] between the occasion and your mind at that moment.”

One not made easier by an increasingly truncated attention span. When Prada was younger, her initial seasonal wardrobe selections would keep her happy for six months. These days, “after 10 days,” she declares, “I’m fed up.”

That fashion allows its devotees to act on such emotions is a huge part of its allure for Prada. “Since I was very young, I always wanted to be before the trend, the first to do this or to do that,” she says. “I think fashion, in that sense, is the last triumph of what’s new, of what was not done before. That is interesting.”

000001w.jpg
000001ww.jpg
000001www.jpg

000002w.jpg
000006w.jpg
000008w.jpg

000008ww.jpg
000008www.jpg
000009w.jpg

000010w.jpg
000012w.jpg
000013w.jpg

source: olycom.it

^ You're absolutely fabulous for compiling that together! :flower:

Love the way she dresses - imo she's true fashion, not trendy, always her own very unique vision.

MILAN - Patrizio Bertelli and Miuccia Prada unveiled a 706-page tome here that caps 30 years of innovations and experiments in fashion, art, architecture, cinema and communications.

"For Prada, fashion, luxury and style go beyond producing an infinity of clothes and shoes, so the book wants to illustrate the various aspects through which Prada expresses itself," said Bertelli, chief executive officer of Prada Group.

Titled “Prada,” the book is published by Prada Progetto Arte and retails for 100 euros. It will be sold in Prada stores worldwide, in select bookstores and on prada.com.
source | wwd.com

wow 700 pages !!!!
that is a retrospective book !

the price is still a matter, though !
like in fashion a book must cost a lot ...
but that's a great idea to publish it for xmas.

thanks MMA.

btw, could somebody post the iD issue where Prada did the cover.
yesterday, i figured out i missed this issue (published in 2009 ?)

Miuccia is by far the most elegant and well-dressed woman of all time. I just wish we would see more of her! :heart:

Here's the full book for preview..
I want to get a copy! :heart:

prada.com

Its quite hard to see her outfit at her Spring 2010 show, but isn't it interesting?

1z4zk1w.jpg

style.com/

Some more of Miuccia :flower:

mblbhx.jpg
15mmip1.jpg
xanxvs.jpg
qq1fk9.jpg

2zxpovs.jpg
30cx1r5.jpg
1exvk.jpg

Sources: richardyoungonline.com/, therunwayscoop.com/, designboom.com/, graziadaily.co.uk/,

Aaah, thank you for posting all of the pics!

Its quite hard to see her outfit at her Spring 2010 show, but isn't it interesting?

Of course, those are my beloved embellished knee socks from Miu Miu F/W 09 collection! What I love about Miuccia is how she gives such a credibility by wearing the clothes that she designed and she really does is it so well.

hear you are,dear:wink:from vvshu.com

i-D April 2009

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->