tushmagazine

Sleek Magazine April 2018
Lorena Maza - Fashion Editor/Stylist
Linda Sigg - Makeup Artist
Dominik Wimmer - Casting Director

models

Portraits of Women vol. 5: Nicole Atieno for Tome NYC

tomenyc

There are models, and then there are models who have presence; a certain magnetism that emanates from smartphone screens, capturing us mid-scroll. Nicole Atieno belongs to the latter category. Not only is the 20-year-old Kenyan beauty all long limbs and spellbinding stare, but she is also a busy worker bee who doesn't allow Fashion Month to stop her from answering our questions at the speed of light. When asked to sum herself up in one sentence, this stunner keeps it simple: "I’m a playful, positive, party girl, who’s mostly in a good mood and likes to make others smile." That, she sure does.

Photography: Caroline Owens @carolineowens

Hi Nicole! We are halfway through fashion month. How are you feeling?

Thanks for asking. I’m jet lagged and a little tired and currently on a plane to Milan, but I love Fashion Month, so it’s all fun.

What’s your post-fashion month recovery routine? Or are you too young, fresh and dewy to even need one?

You’re never too young to have a recovery routine! Mine includes lots of sleep. If I have time, I try to go on holiday before everything gets heated up.

If you had only one outfit to travel around during all of fashion month, what would it be?

ONLY ONE OUTFIT? That would be impossible for me. I need more stuff to play around with. Every day I wake up in a different mood and I need a look that goes with it.

The conversation around body positivity and diversity in fashion is getting louder. Do you feel a difference in castings this season?

I’m so happy the fashion industry is taking this topic seriously. If you look at the show castings at the moment, you will see a wide and diverse range of body types and ethnicities. I hope this is not just a trend.

Does walking so many shows influence your style? What are some trends you are seeing that you are excited to try?

Runway fashion influenced my style even before I started modeling, I would make my mum buy me fashion magazines and I loved watching FashionTV for inspiration. I would even cut out editorials from magazines and file them into my very own fashion picture books!

The trends I’m currently excited to try are MORE PRINTS (think latest Richard Quinn show), oversized shapes like my favourite black wide-leg pants from Tome, and big shoulders (as seen in the Marc Jacobs and Gareth Pugh shows). I also still want to continue being playful and childish in my styling, because it always surprises me when certain pieces work great together.

Internet stalking reveals you to be quite the global citizen. Where is home?

I was born in Kisumu, Kenya and grew up in Dresden, Germany. I would say that home is anywhere where I’m surrounded with loving people and have a roof over my head. I’m very adventurous.

Does your style differ according to the city you’re in? What are some constant style pillars?

My style changes every day because I get inspired by something different every day. If I’m in a specific city, I try to bring what that city has to offer to my look. In New York I love wearing bright colours like in the Tome Pre-Fall collection - it makes me feel confident and beautiful. I love my style in London the most. People there really step it up sartorially, which motivates me to give more.

Do you think your Kenyan background influences your personal style? If so, how?

Kenya has a very important place in my heart. It’s where everything began for me, it’s where I discovered myself. For the most part, I don’t dress up traditionally, but sometimes I try to add a touch of Africa to my style to wake up the beautiful memories.

Real talk: coming from a country where people face life-threatening challenges, is it sometimes hard to take fashion industry “stress” seriously?

Fashion industry “stress” is peanuts compared to the hardships of life in Africa. There, you’re faced with food & shelter shortage, you have refugees who lost their families at a tender age and have to take care of their siblings. What we call stress here has nothing to do with real stress. People are comfortable and privileged.

Rumor has it, you have quite the flair for vintage. Any vintage shopping tricks you could share? (Or: What’s your best find to date?)

95% of my closet is vintage. I love owning pieces that are one-of-a-kind. Last week in New York, I bought this long purple vintage knit coat that I’m currently obsessed with. It earns me quite a few smiles from grandmas on the streets - the kinds of reactions that warm my heart.

What are some personal and professional goals for 2018?

Work work work work work work I’d love to keep working with kind and talented people in the industry, like Ryan & Ramon from Tome. I also want to start getting more into styling.

My personal goal is to go on a trip to Japan. I love Japanese culture.

If you weren’t modeling, you would be a __

Stylist or Fashion Editor.

What would we be surprised to know about you?

During NYFW, I did a Burger challenge. I ate at least one burger a day in different restaurants for two weeks!

Tush Magazine S/S 18 by Armin Morbach

oliviaclifford

Catrice x Lala Berlin limited edition

Catrice-Lala-Berlin-Nicole-Otieno-905x509.jpg

http://mkenyaujerumani.de/

sleek magazine April 2018

ph: Vitali Gelwich
Lorena Maza - Fashion Editor/Stylist

models

Madame Figaro 24th August 2018

"LA FEMME D'ARGENT" ("SILVER WOMAN")

Photographer: Karina Twiss
Stylist: Julie Gillet
Hair: Tomoko Ohama
Make-up: Alice Ghendrih

Model: Nicole Atieno

Credit: Scans By sanja at Bellazon (bellazon.com)

Christopher Kane S/S 19 London (C)

NC5qcGc.jpg

nowfashion

Hope nowfashion is right and she closed indeed, not entirely sure.

House of Holland S/S 19 London

OS5qcGc.jpg

nowfashion

MM6 Maison Margiela S/S 19 London

NzIxNjU1OS5qcGc.jpg

nowfashion

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inafrombaki