NY Times T Style Magazine Holiday 2010 : Mick Jagger by Max Vadukul

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
t98u0w.jpg

SEWING A NEW PATTERN FOR T: If Sally Singer had had her way, Don DeLillo would have written the cover story on Mick Jagger in her debut issue of T: The New York Times Style Magazine, which comes out this weekend. After DeLillo turned the assignment down, she went with “Notes on a Scandal” author and journalist Zoe Heller.

DeLillo and Heller aren’t the type of writers you would usually find in the Rolodex of style magazine editors who are used to handing out softball assignments. T, after all, is supposed to be a cash cow for the Times and it’s that way for a reason — the magazine is expected to attract advertisers, not critical acclaim.

But Heller’s piece — which is occasionally quite biting — is hardly the only thing about Singer’s debut issue that stands out over the previous incarnation of T. There’s a piece written by Misha Glenny on Wikileaks and Julian Assange; a story on Imam Rauf, the man behind the Ground Zero mosque, and a excerpt from Allen Shawn’s book “Twin,” which is about his severely autistic twin sister. Sober stuff.

“That’s probably a bit new for T — to buy a book extract for something that has absolutely nothing to do with style other than the stylishness of the writing,” Singer told WWD.

Singer, who spent more than a decade at Vogue and has worked at the London Review of Books and New York Magazine, is clearly taking the magazine in a different direction — one less bound to luxurious products and style.

“It’s a holiday issue, which essentially means that’s an issue that was probably originally designed as a gifts issue,” she said, but added that, “Not everyone who gets T is a devout follower of fashion.”

Singer said she gets excited “over seeing a shoe and a pair of earrings as much any person,” but that’s not enough to fill up her magazine.

“If one were to strip out those elements of T that you find new or noncommercial, then what are you left with? You’re just left with stuff,” she said, pronouncing “stuff” with some disdain. “The wonder of stuff — the pleasure we all take in stuff if we have the time or money or resources or the space in our brain to think about it — is that we allow ourselves that time because we’re thinking about big things too, you know. If you’re not, it just becomes a catalogue. Who wants that? You flip through it and you’re done. When I do a magazine, I want people to live with it.”

But, then, how is T different from the Times’ Sunday Magazine?

“Well, there are an awful lot of extremely pretty people in it and lots of wonderful things to buy and cook,” she said. “There is lots of fun in it.”

Singer said her cover subject came to her instantly.

“It was immediate and decisive in my head,” she said. “I actually thought, ‘Whose face to me says gifted and I’m a gift more than any other person in the world?’ And I thought Mick Jagger. I didn’t even think of Keith [Richard’s] book coming out.”

Nor was she expecting Assange to be filling up every headline of every news outlet over the last week when she sent photographer Max Vadukul and features director Jacob Brown to Europe to shoot him in late September. A photo, by the way, that Assange never agreed to or willingly participated in.

“Max and Jacob chased him —well, not chased him, but followed him throughout Europe,” she said.

And even though Singer said the timing was perfect since the issue closed a while ago, it is sure to be one of the more dissected pieces in her debut issue. In fact, that has already started.

On Wednesday night, Slate Group editor Jacob Weisberg — husband of Deborah Needleman, the editor of WSJ. Magazine, whose debut issue also hits newsstands this weekend — took a shot across the bow at Singer on Twitter: “Bad timing for Times to puff Julian Assange in T Holiday issue. ‘The Gift of Information’ (not yet online).”

“Misha Glenny doesn’t write puff pieces and his record shows that,” Singer said. “He wrote about the game-changing nature of Wikileaks and not the personal character of Assange.”

And though Singer said she was an admirer of Needleman and her former magazine, Domino, she claimed she won’t pay much attention to WSJ. Magazine.

“I’m just solipsistic enough where I do my thing,” she said.
wwd / december 3, 2010

Letter from The Editor
Table of Contents
Contributors
Masthead

source | nytimes.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! Thanks for posting!!!

It comes free with the sunday NY Times.

preview of the eds...

zw1a4z.jpg

2mo9xxy.jpg

twitter.com/proenzaschouler

Last edited by a moderator:
Can`t say that much

i've always like how levelheaded Sally Singer is and her debut issue for T seems to perfectly sum that up, this whole current affairs
direction for the magazine is more than welcome for me; at a time when fashion magazines are already too overproduced and inundated
with the same rehashed stuff it'll be very interesting to read this publication's opinion about topics as volatile as Wikileaks and the GZM.
though i do hope the articles aren't that disparate from the actual fashion features, but then you've got Mick Jagger which is always good,
and what appears to be an amazing NY S/S 11 Collections edit, if that is where those Proenza Schouler pics are from. too early too decide
whether this is gonna be good but it already looks like a very sensible issue.

ooo the edit looks great, love the colors and the Proenza outfits:heart:, cant wait to see the rest.:D

ZING
Models: Tali Lennox, Luisa Bianchin, Pauline Van der Cruysse, Fabiana Mayer & Emily Senko
Hair: Esther Langham
Makeup: Romy Soleimani
Stylist: David Vandewal
Photographer: Emma Summerton

source | nytimes.com

MOONSTRUCK
Models: Maggie Gyllenhaal, Sally Hawkins, Lakshmi Menon, Mila Kunis,
Kazu Makino, Eliza Douglas, Freja Beha & Hilary Swank
Hair: Gerald Decock
Makeup: Fuliva Farolfi
Stylist: Susan Winget
Photographer: Alice O'Malley

source | nytimes.com

oh mma you're great! thanks for all the scans, karma for you!
i love all the colour blast from the emma summerton ed...

IN THE WINGS
Stylist: Andreas Kokkino
Photographer: Sebastian Kim

source | nytimes.com

I love the Zing edit, but saying that I only shake my head as yet another publication undergoes a philosophical makeover. I mean Nicki Minaj for T Magazine?

i love emma summerton ed. she makes the girls with harsh features look pretty

Cool issue, love Zing, fun vibe and love seeing the new SS collections esp Rodarte:heart:, and Moonstruck is great too, they all look so lovely:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->