Oyster #95 November 2011 : Lindsey Wixson by Will Davidson

The content is great and the styling is genius - I hope I can get this!

In Oyster Issue #95 (out tomorrow!), Renee Warne caught up with in-demand Australian model, Ruby Jean Wilson, to chat about all manner of unexpected things:

At 8 am on a Wednesday morning, Ruby Jean Wilson is sitting by a pond in the vegetable garden of her family home, awaiting our interview. It’s a rare moment of quiet for the busy model. Just two years into her career, the 18-year-old is already a favourite of heavy-hitters like Stefano Pilati and Christopher Kane, and will soon be returning to a chaotic schedule of castings, fittings and runway bookings for some of the industry’s most coveted labels. Wilson was in a contemplative mood, no doubt expecting probing questions about issues like body image and self-esteem — instead, we asked her about high heels, fast food and Guns N’ Roses.

Renee Warne: From one Guns N’ Roses fan to another: Slash or Axl Rose?
Ruby Jean Wilson: [Contemplates] Axl.

Axl? Really?
Yes. Wait! Why? Oh, maybe Slash is cooler!

Slash is pretty much the ultimate dude.
Ah! OK, Slash then. Change it! [Laughs]

James Franco or Leonardo DiCaprio?
James Franco all the way!

Lower East Side or Brooklyn?
Lower East Side.

Lip balm or lipstick?
Lip balm. No, wait — lipstick. I was given this Chanel lipstick [Rouge Coco in #76, Sari Doré] that’s a matte orange/coral colour; it’s amazing. You can wear it on its own with a bare face and it looks super fresh.

Do you take your make-up off before you go to bed?
Yes, religiously.

Blowdry or wash-and-wear?
Wash-and-wear, always. I never blowdry my hair. I’ve actually been trying to grow it, but the ends are so dead from all the styling that I’ve had to cut it back into a bob. I get so bored with my hair; when I quit modelling I’m going to shave it.

Yes! Just like Hermione [Emma Watson] when she finished filming the Harry Potter saga.
People always say I look like her. She’s such an annoying character! Of all people, does it have to be Hermione Granger?

What’s the highest pair of heels you’ve ever had to walk in?
Oh, I probably couldn’t remember an exact pair. I’ve walked in some pretty high ones, though.

Have you ever toppled or fallen? Is that something that happens a lot?
Yeah, it is actually; it happens. In almost every rehearsal, someone trips. Sometimes bad, sometimes not; it’s usually when you get off the stage and you have to change quickly — that’s when you stack it really badly.

What’s at the top of your shopping list right now?
Some really comfortable baggy cotton t-shirts. The last good ones I bought were in New York and I’m always on the hunt for a good tee. My favourite piece of clothing is my Christopher Kane galaxy tee; it goes with everything.

Have you developed a taste for designer clothing?
God no. I see stuff that I like, but I don’t think I’ve ever spent more than $100 on a piece of clothing, if that. I love op-shopping. I buy clothes so often and I change my mind a lot. I’d feel bad spending $1000 on one item, when I’d probably be over it a few weeks later. Plus, there are people starving in the world.

What did you eat for breakfast this morning?
I had a bowl of strawberries, bananas, Splenda, yoghurt and muesli.

Is nutrition something most models are interested in?
Not really. I tend to eat pretty healthily most of the time. I follow healthy-food blogs and get recipes, but everyone is different; there are a lot of girls ordering pizza every day.

Yum. Where do you go for fast food?
It would have to be Chipotle Mexican Grill. It’s a chain in New York where you can buy a burrito the size of your head — the portion sizes are massive.

Tell us about the ****YeahRubyJeanWilson Tumblr — rumour has it the publisher of this blog is actually an obsessed fan who’s impersonating you…
[Laughs] That’s right, it’s not me, but it’s so sweet that someone actually takes the time to post photos of me. I don’t know where she gets all these pictures. I actually get my images from her most of the time.

This morning she posted snaps of you with fellow Australian model Dempsey Stewart. Do you have a good circle of friends in the industry?
Well, people come and go. I tend to get along with Canadian girls — I hang out with Kate King a lot, we lived together in New York and we’re really close.

What do you think of New York?
I love New York; it’s my favourite place in the world. Every time I go there it feels less like I’m leaving and more like I’m coming home
oystermag

I love those shots of Ruby Jean. Lindsey's covers and ed are awesome, too.

Lindsey the Legend
Model: Lindsey Wixson
Photographer: Will Davidson
Hair and Make-Up: Christian McCulloch
Stylist: Stevie Dance

Last edited by a moderator:
Model: Ruby Jean Wilson
Photographer: Jessie Sara English
Make-Up: Sam Addington
Hair: Anthony Nader

my scans

Triptastic
Photographer: Darren McDonald
Stylist: Ruby Heery
Hair and Make-Up: Victoria Baron
Models: Rachel Rutt and Ryley

my scans

Review of rest of Eds:

Into the Wild (2 Pages)
Photographer: Andrew O'Toole
Hair: Peter Leighton
Make-Up: Victoria Baron
Model: Elly @ Priscilla's

Ride the Rainbow (4 Pages)
Photographer: Steven Chee
Hair and Make-Up: Luana Coscia
Models: Spencer Petterson and Maddison Brown

Dolphins for All! (12 Pages)
Photographer: Maya Villiger
Stylist: Sasha Kelly
Models: Marina Nery, Karolina Waz, Chelsea Wichmann, Ann Kelly, Hayley Coupon, Eugenie Dalland, Emily Elsen, Karyna Schultz and Kristen Shanks

St.Babes (8 Pages)
Models: Kirsty Hume and Africa Mignot
Photographer: Tierney Gearon
Stylist: Daniel King

If anyone wants any of these scanned just let me know. :-)

Review of rest of Eds:

St.Babes (8 Pages)
Models: Kirsty Hume and Africa Mignot
Photographer: Tierney Gearon
Stylist: Daniel King

If anyone wants any of these scanned just let me know. :-)

I'd love the Kirsty ed scanned, visualoptimism :flower: xoxo

I kinda love how this is Australia's 'numero' but with more of a raw edge to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->