Pablo Picasso / Traits of Modern Art

ParadEyes

Spring of Córdoba
Reaction score
:blush: its kind of a silly question , but i really cant find an answer to it !

the earlier paintings by Pablo Picasso were mostly realistic , but in his latest works he considered a different style ... a very weird style,..specially drawing the two eyes of the human on ONE side of the face ; ..does that indicate something ?
guernica.jpg

^ does it really have a meaning to have 2 eyes on one side ?...
am curious to know :blush: :blush:

thanks !

(picture credit: http://www.impressionism.ru/)

Last edited by a moderator:
I cheked my art book a bit; I think it has two eyes because it's "cubism" don't know the exact. english word :blush:

"In cubist artworks objects are broken up, analyzed, and reassembled in an abstracted form — instead of rendering objects from a single fixed angle, the artist depicts the subject from multiple angles simultaneously as an attempt to present the subject in the most complete manner. Often the surfaces of the facets, or planes, intersect at angles that show no recognizable depth"

from wikipedia

Picasso experimented with using different points of view at the same time, inspired by Cezanne probably. Instead of painting a motif as frozen in time, he portrayed them as a dynamic interplay of time and space.

From what I know of Picasso his earlier works were influenced by Henri Toulouse-Lautrec (who was a impressionist artist who's worked circled around the Moulin Rouge) so that explains the more realistic works.

His more abstract work is called Cubism which he along with Braque, and Gris developed. The influences is of Cézanne and African sculpture....same fragmented forms and distortions, but Picasso took the distortion to another level.... I've read a lot about him for art class and haven't found really a significance to why the eyes on one side except that he was just forming his own style by distorting the figure to what's humanly impossible while still resembling a person....there might be a significance as to why distort that, but I honestly don't know why. :doh: Still hopefully some of that background info might have helped. :blush:

belezza, i moved this to the art and illustration forum and renamed it, hope that's okay with you:flower:

others have already pointed out how 'splitting up' an image is a trait of modern paintings from cezanne to cubism ... a possibilty to show more things at once, to create more expression and to transport messages ... since after photography was invented there was no need to accurately imitate nature anymore ... things were moving forward to a more free way of expression (as in any kind of art) ... also you should not forget that the painting you posted deals with the horrible civil war in spain, the whole city of guernica was destroyed, the civil population killed .... picasso's painting is trying to depict the utmost horror, something words can not explain ... so the 'shattered' style was the only way to try this...

that's only a rough explanation though.
if you're interested i'd encourage you to read a book on art in the twentieth century...

indie , caramel , sephora socialite , anna karina :flower: thank you so much guys , i appreciate it

and i was just wondering , the way he pictured the horse , looks like there are some writings on the horse ? :unsure: its a really complicated painting that aroused my curiousity...

His idea of showing two eyes on one plane was his way of trying to show you the image object, even sides you wouldn't be able to see. Kind of like you were looking at the front and seeing the back. I need to find his sketches I had, it showed the process of how he deconstructed animals, starting out with PERFECT studies of them, and then slowly twisting them around until he got what you know him for. He has quite the lengthy process to his madness.

thanks fourboltmain :flower: that was interesting

anyone who knows more about this painting and would like to tell us more about it :flower: i'd be really thankful

Gurenica is one of my favorite paintings. :heart: ^_^

i think anna k wrote a pretty good explanation. i think the cubist style was almost like early jazz. it wasn't about 'traditions' , but about pure, raw, immediate expression, not easily defined or digested. this is similar to what sephora posted about african influences. this wasn't 'western art'...
i think the cubist style is less static and more about momentum and movement, as you can tell by the overall composition. i think depicting something visual has it's own limitations, and i think picasso was trying to push his painting into blurring the senses.

i'm not sure about the marks on the horse. maybe it's showing the scope of war and each mark is a represents a fatality? i'm not sure. i know there are a few books written on this particular painting/ mural, and they might give you some answers :flower:

belleza said:
thanks fourboltmain :flower: that was interesting

anyone who knows more about this painting and would like to tell us more about it :flower: i'd be really thankful

Picasso made Guernica in the memory of the deaths of a big number of spanish civil people, because of the bombings during Civil War.

Actually, Guernica and the civil war thing is about the spaniard president allowing atomic bomb testing to happen in the Guernica town. I can't elaborate too much on the work, because it would take too long, hehe. But for Picasso, in the beginning, his upbringing was done in Málaga and La Coruña, both coastal towns. Therefore, he took as his own the sun and the sea as key elements in his artwork, as well as all simbols from the corridas de toros, or bull fights or races. Since it is so typical of the culture, and there is artwork of his as a kid that backs it up, the bull and the horse are typical archetypal animals in Picasso. A Guernica analysis would take a lot of time and typing, hehe, so if anyone's interested, do say so and I will say some more about it.

two months off said:
Actually, Guernica and the civil war thing is about the spaniard president allowing atomic bomb testing to happen in the Guernica town. I can't elaborate too much on the work, because it would take too long, hehe. But for Picasso, in the beginning, his upbringing was done in Málaga and La Coruña, both coastal towns. Therefore, he took as his own the sun and the sea as key elements in his artwork, as well as all simbols from the corridas de toros, or bull fights or races. Since it is so typical of the culture, and there is artwork of his as a kid that backs it up, the bull and the horse are typical archetypal animals in Picasso. A Guernica analysis would take a lot of time and typing, hehe, so if anyone's interested, do say so and I will say some more about it.

would you tell us more plz :flower: this painting is complex

belleza, i assume this is for a school project or paper...would it be of some help to state what the brief is? also, what are your thoughts on the painting?

Guernica.. this was the final jeopardy question the other day.. I got it right and I felt so smart!...

too bad I was watching all by myself :(

We talked about this in spanish class when I was in HS.. all I remember though is the Bull and the horse screaming represents spain and its culture and how its.. umm screaming because of the events in WWII... notice the mother with the dead baby in her arms.. totally brutal

yeah thats all I remember.. i'm kinda useless :D

kudos for picasso for creating a painting that still has the power to shock after these decades- too bad we can't karma him....

A little bit more info on Guernica:

Early 1937 Picasso got asked to paint something for the Spanish pavilion at the Universal Show in Paris, but for months he didn't have a subject. After the bombings happened (April 26th), Picasso decided on this theme, and began working.

The composition was piramidal since the beggining. There's one woman screaming, with her dead child, another that moves diagonally and the one that lights the scene. The bull in the beggining has said to be thought of as a symbol for the Spanish people, resisting boldly the fascist attack. The horse is a substitute for a soldier's raised fist, which was present in the early stages of the painting. There is an eye or maybe a "dented vagina", which substitutes the sun of the early stages of the painting, and has the image of the lightbulb in it. The characters in Picasso's works before Guernica (in drawings and etchings) are reunited in the painting. In Guernica, no one is saved, everything is destruction. That is the new 'script' in the painting. The killer is not present in the painting, either.

-i have to go, I'll write some more later -

travolta , it is not a school project .. i'm a chemical-engineering student not an art student.. my knowledge in art is ZERO :blush: but am talented in drawing and ..just wanted to know about different styles of painting...
when i firstly saw Guernica i thought it was "ugly"! but when i knew it was picasso's .. i just wanted to know why is it very famous , even though it looked too "cartoonish" to me :unsure:

......just now i started to like it :P

CharlotteFromCA
u aint useless :P atleast u know about it more than i do

two months off

i actually thought the bull was one of the enemies.. ,
because all the figures are "showing" reactions except the bull .. that stands still watching the scene ?! ..

i think i should read more about this :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellison1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->